Coronavirus: No new cases, first time since March 10

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Coronavirus: No new cases, first time since March 10

Post by Paphos Life »

No new coronavirus cases were reported on Saturday for the first since just a few days after Cyprus reported its first case on March 9.The total remains at 927, the health ministry said in a statement. The last time zero cases were reported was on March 10....

Read the article and chat about it below...
71 Trans Am

Re: Coronavirus: No new cases, first time since March 10

Post by 71 Trans Am »

All credit to the Cypriot Inhabitants and the Cypriot Government

These Clowns in the UK that call themselves a Government could learn a thing or two from Cyprus – The whole shower need sorting out badly and it might just be me but every time I see Boris Johnson’s top advisor Cummings I actually cringe – He looks like Swampy and most day’s looks like he has slept in a Skip. You would think a man in his position would put on a Shirt, Tie and Jacket he is an absolute disgrace and his recent actions just say it all.

Well Done Cyprus
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, the Govt , police (lets not forget them,) acted very well to ensure that the Cyprus lockdown has worked. Also track, trace and isolate system has worked very efficiently.
But lets be fair, the island of Guernsey in the Channel Islands has also come through their lock down ver efficiently too. The point being that smallish islands with smaller populations seem to be easier to isolate people. It can't be easy in the UK with its huge population, but the obvious fact that the Govt there has messed things up big time, hasn't helped either.
Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

8 New cases today. Are we taking our eye off the ball?
PS Just found out that 7 out of the 8 were from a repatriation flight from UK on 21/05/20. So not really homegrown cases.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

And, of course, nearer to home the North of Cyprus , no new cases since April 19th 108 cases in total and all now released from hospital with only 2 deaths ( both German tourists at the start of the outbreak ) . The most successful country in the Mediterranean region and once the new runway is open about to welcome tourists in June .
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Varky wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pm 8 New cases today. Are we taking our eye off the ball?
PS Just found out that 7 out of the 8 were from a repatriation flight from UK on 21/05/20. So not really homegrown cases.
This really is Scandalous that people are being allowed onto the island that have the virus... Firstly they should be tested before setting off to Cyprus. I hope that they were quarantined here and not just allowed to go on their merry way..
And I wonder how many other passengers those 7 infected ....

This is terrible news just when I thought the government were doing well
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:25 am
Varky wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pm 8 New cases today. Are we taking our eye off the ball?
This really is Scandalous that people are being allowed onto the island that have the virus... Firstly they should be tested before setting off to Cyprus. I hope that they were quarantined here and not just allowed to go on their merry way..
And I wonder how many other passengers those 7 infected ....

This is terrible news just when I thought the government were doing well
They will be quarantined for two weeks
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

All those 7 show is that the testing is working. Not terrible.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 am They will be quarantined for two weeks
The others travelling in that plane as well?
Varky

Post by Varky »

trevnhil,
As far as I am aware the whole flight was carted off to a hotel and later tested with the majority of passengers tested negative and allowed home and the 7 were tested positive. Again, it was a repatriation of citizens/residents not tourists.

Link added, read all about it.
https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/seven-o ... -thursday/
Last edited by Varky on Mon May 25, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Varky wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:03 am trevnhil,
the majority of passengers tested negative and allowed home and the 7 were tested positive.
That sounds risky to me. They may not have tested positive yet but could still have been infected (you´ll only test positive a few days after infection). Hopefully they´ll be retested and their contacts traced. And hopefully they are self isolating.
Last edited by jeba on Mon May 25, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Would it not have been better to test them BEFORE they were allowed on the flight ??
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:12 am Would it not have been better to test them BEFORE they were allowed on the flight ??
For obvious reasons, you couldn't test them in the airport, which results in testing when they arrive here, and the numbers show Cyprus is doing a good job, in controlling this virus.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

You have lost me as to why they could not have been tested at the departure airport... Before they flew with all the other passengers and maybe infected them as well
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 am You have lost me as to why they could not have been tested at the departure airport... Before they flew with all the other passengers and maybe infected them as well
How long does it take to get the results from the tests?,
take swabs/ blood, from 100/200 passengers,
send them off to a lab, etc etc,
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

At the moment there is full quarantine from airport to complete isolation for 2 weeks with a 50,000 fine and up to a year in prison if you break it. Repatriating Cypriots are allowed to return so it doesn’t matter whether they were tested at the airport or here. They were in full quarantine. From today they are changing this and you will be tested on arrival and kept in quarantine until the result is known. If negative, you will be required to self isolate for 7 days (from countries on lists 1 and 2) and 14 days from other countries. Obviously if you are positive, you will be quarantined/hospitalised and the said fines above will be imposed for breaching the rules which is a pretty hefty deterrent.

My concern is regarding the tourist arrivees from June who have to present a certificate that they are negative taken no more than 72 hours before travel. To me this leaves quite a big window of opportunity to contract the virus before arrival although being from countries where the rates are low, this will reduce that chance but not eradicate it altogether. If they cannot get a test in their country, they will take a test on arrival and be quarantined until the result is know (about a day).

The problem is that the country will be on its knees if they don’t take measures to restart the economy somehow.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:25 am At the moment there is full quarantine from airport to complete isolation for 2 weeks with a 50,000 fine and up to a year in prison if you break it. Repatriating Cypriots are allowed to return so it doesn’t matter whether they were tested at the airport or here. They were in full quarantine. From today they are changing this and you will be tested on arrival and kept in quarantine until the result is known. If negative, you will be required to self isolate for 7 days (from countries on lists 1 and 2) and 14 days from other countries. Obviously if you are positive, you will be quarantined/hospitalised and the said fines above will be imposed for breaching the rules which is a pretty hefty deterrent.

My concern is regarding the tourist arrivees from June who have to present a certificate that they are negative taken no more than 72 hours before travel. To me this leaves quite a big window of opportunity to contract the virus before arrival although being from countries where the rates are low, this will reduce that chance but not eradicate it altogether. If they cannot get a test in their country, they will take a test on arrival and be quarantined until the result is know (about a day).

The problem is that the country will be on its knees if they don’t take measures to restart the economy somehow.

Jeanne
Good post, its all about finding a balance between keeping people safe, and trying to keep the economy going, there is no 100% safe solution,, im sure if it goes pear shape, the government will quickly, revise things.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 am As WHL has pointed out, there is as yet NO test which can be used at the airport of departure to give an instant result.
There will soon be one though: https://knews.kathimerini.com.cy/en/new ... virus-test
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Jebe, is this new test an antibody test to show if you have had the virus or a covid test to confirm if you currently have coronavirus, do you know?

It's been impossible to get tested here in UK unless you were at deaths door. Then only frontline workers who are unlikely to be jumping on a plane at this minute.

Those being repatriated to Cyprus were swabbed at the airport but they are only "at that moment" tests so people could still show symptoms some days later. Hence the quarantine on arrival, which seems to have been very different between the hotels they have used.

I'm waiting for the antibody test and hope it becomes available soon here in UK.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
jeba

Post by jeba »

It´s not clear from the article I linked to. It could be a mere PCR test and they conclude that you must have been recently infected based on the concentration of RNA particles. Which would need a bit of convicing explantion in my view.

The mere antibody test is advertised for sale to doctors only for € 25 in Germany. Not sure about the waiting time for delivery though.