Spokesman: Government’s only concern is safeguarding jobs and businesses

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

And to hell with the health and safety of the people!

Safeguarding jobs and the sustainability of businesses so that the economy and the country can stand on its own feet once more, has been the government’s only concern, spokesman Kyriakos Koushos said on Wednesday.

Bravo!

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/spokesm ... usinesses/
WHL

Re: Spokesman: Government’s only concern is safeguarding jobs and businesses

Post by WHL »

So without an income how to you suggest people buy food etc, im not the brightest, but don't you get ill you don't eat
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:06 pm So without an income how to you suggest people buy food etc, im not the brightest, but don't you get ill you don't eat
You don't need to buy food if you're dead, do you? :-( Excuse my saying so but your response (and mine) is silly. There is always a happy medium as well as various means.
Varky

Post by Varky »

The headline is taken out of context and if you read the article it can be seen that the introduction of a particular bill to parliament was only to safeguard jobs and businesses and did not extend to other areas of the present situation. At least that was how I read it. In any case the bill was withdrawn after disagreement between parties.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I disagree that the headline was taken out of context even if the whole affair is a dead duck. The problem is the use of the word "only" in both the title and the text. It implies that the government has absolutely no concern about health and safety, because it is concentrating on jobs and businesses. Whether this is true or not is not even relevant; the meaning is very different with that single little word stuck in the middle.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The people who I've spoken to today are very glad to be back at work. They say that after two months of not working they need money to feed their families and to pay their other bills.
One lady I know is also keen for her 11yr old son to go back to school She has been finding It very difficult to try to teach him his school work at home. He starts at the Gymnasium in September.

I think that the Govt is right.

Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

Devil wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:09 pm I disagree that the headline was taken out of context even if the whole affair is a dead duck. The problem is the use of the word "only" in both the title and the text. It implies that the government has absolutely no concern about health and safety, because it is concentrating on jobs and businesses. Whether this is true or not is not even relevant; the meaning is very different with that single little word stuck in the middle.
I disagree. The use of the word 'only' refers to the use of the phrase in question ONLY in the bill being discussed. Furthermore how do you square, what you are inferring, with the way the Cypriot government has handled the situation over the last three months and the answer to that is simple....you can't. So stop being mischievous!
Now if such a statement was made in the UK then you might have a point but here in Cyprus ...no way.