Flies!!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
daveg

Flies!!

Post by daveg »

Is it just me that the flies are driving mad?
Hundreds scooped out of the pool, all around me as I text.....
Jimgym

Re: Flies!!

Post by Jimgym »

We get the midges at night when we sit outside with a glass of wine. I'm constantly scooping them out of my glass. Inside there are loads of houseflies, which are a pain!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Not too bad if you have flyscreens fitted. But can be a nuisance other wise.
I have had more problems with small earwiggy things look like small worms. Like to crawl under the front door..
Horrible especially if you happen to tread on one as they emit a foul smell. Anyone else had them?

Dee
Ams

Post by Ams »

I have more flies than usual around and in the pool - I wondered if it was the heat and they're looking for water to drink.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

The little flies are repelled by burning Cyprus coffee in a metal container. The smoke, which doesn’t smell very nice, makes them depart very quickly.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Turning the soil with a plough releases hundreds of flies so I guess we can blame the Common Agricultural Policy.
Cyprus has elected dairy as one of the beneficiaries and so clearing and ploughing land for fodder qualifies for grants. We have many farmers around here who , have ploughed any land that can take a plough and some that clearly couldn’t . Some then do bale up the fodder but given the quantities produced thanks to the rainfall for the past few years they merely shunt it off the field as they can’t use/sell it. Whilst many others just leave it and plough it back in in November.
When you read the purpose of the EU agriculture grants , to improve animal husbandry, to improve conditions for workers and for animals etc I often wonder whether the many Nepalese’s workers often living in converted shipping containers and the cows they tend that never have seen a field but stand in long sheds of corrugated iron feel it worthwhile !