Paphos hotels could close unless British are allowed in

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Paphos hotels could close unless British are allowed in

Post by memory man »

Cyprus should look to ways of ensuring the British market is able to fly into the island’s airports and keep the sector afloat, the head of the Paphos hoteliers association told the Cyprus Mail on Monday

Euripides Loizides, who also owns the Mayfair Hotel in Paphos which has been used as a quarantine hotel by the state for the mandatory two week isolation of repatriation arrivals, said the ‘quick coronvirus test, which takes an hour to complete, should be utilised to ensure safe travel.

This way, even arrivals from the UK which currently has a high infection and death rate from Covid-19 could be permitted.

“Paphos is reliant on tourism, especially the British market, so what’s the answer? I believe it’s the quick test. The cost could be born a three way split; one third by the travel company/ airline, one third by the passenger and one third by the hotel,” he said.

Cyprus is currently looking to markets such as Greece, Israel and Germany, although the latter has experienced some difficulties as there is a rise in numbers of coronavirus infections, but Cyprus really needs the British market, he said.

If the quick test option is rolled out, even British passengers would be able to fly to Cyprus if enough took up seats and made it viable for airlines.

The Mayfair hotel’s staff, along with other premises being used in the quarantine programme, have gleaned a vast experience which can now be useful, he noted.

“The government needs to decide what they are going to do. We have to ensure that visitors are safe on arrival and we must protect them during their stay, and we will by following all of the hygiene protocols.”

There are currently 25 staff working at the hotel looking after those in quarantine, a process which is a lot more demanding than usual operations, as every room has to be served, whilst taking all of the necessary precautions at a high expense, Loizides said.

The hotelier laid out his plans for re-opening to guests, even those from the UK, to combat infection from coronavirus transmitting between people.

Firstly, all passengers should be tested at the airport before boarding a flight, this means they would have to arrive an hour earlier at the airport. This would ensure that they would arrive safely overseas, he said.

Hotel staff will wear masks and gloves, and customer’s rooms would be fully disinfected before arrival. This is undertaken by using a special mixture of recommended chemicals, which when left for four hours, ensure 100 per cent protection.

Cleaners will wear masks and gloves, securing the customers entrance into the room, he added.

As regards, guests entering hotel restaurants, their temperature will be taken before they enter, every day. Serving food will also be carried out very carefully and customers will not be permitted to touch anything.

“Even if it’s a buffet, they can’t touch and they will have to wear masks and gloves to ensure no coughing or sneezing over food. Our staff will serve them,” he said

In addition, ‘a lot’ of outdoor dining will be organised and with a 3 metre distance between the tables. No visitors will be permitted, the property will only be accessible to guests and staff. No sales teams etc will be allowed to enter, he said.

Pools are considered safe, due to the chlorine content, and lifeguards will limit the number of people in the pool at one time, he said. Sunbeds will be sanitised every afternoon, no-one will be allowed to use one which hasn’t been disinfected between users, neither will they be able to reserve a sun lounger, he said.

“Using all of these protocols, it highly unlikely that anyone can become infected and it would only be for the next two to three months, as there is not yet any medication to combat this infection. This will all come with a high expense to hotels, but what can we do?”

He stressed that the government must decide if they will approve low interest loans for hotels, otherwise, they will have to attempt to secure private loans at a high expense.

“This is to pay our suppliers and others, the government wants us (hotels) to get the economy moving but they have yet to make up their minds about the loans, it’s really not fair.”

A sufficient number of hotels will be open in the district of Paphos to welcome guests this year, he said, although a considerable number will not open at all.

Even though hotels are earmarked to re-open on June 9, along with beaches and airports, Loizides said that it is more realistic that hotels will open in early July.

“Decisions need to be made soon or the hotel industry could die.”

https://www.paphoslife.com/news/coronav ... allowed_in
Kili01

Re: Paphos hotels could close unless British are allowed in

Post by Kili01 »

Someone also needs to talk to the UK Govt whose advice is continually for all British people to stay at home and take their holidays there this year and to avoid flying anywhere.
I didn’t know that there is a quick test for Covid which gives results in just one hour.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I can appreciate the difficulty the tourism industry is in. However I would not want to travel for a holiday to experience the conditions mentioned in the article ....
Trev..
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

I can’t imagine anyone wanting to have these sort of measures imposed. Not that I don’t agree totally but we’ve all experienced how hot it is wearing a mask & gloves - would it be worth putting yourself through that for a few days in the sun. It’s also been proved that not everyone that tests positive has shown symptoms so another minefield .
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

It is such a quandary. The island needs tourists, but is it worth the risk? On the other hand, so many businesses are in a desperate state. No doubt many people are heartily sick of hearing stay home stay safe when their livelihood is going down the toilet. There are no easy answers unfortunately.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

It’s not just Cyprus I would imagine that all holiday destination are in the same crisis, many people have been made redundant and have lost their jobs through companies going into receivership, the economy is at an all time low
The U.K. is suppose to be legislating a 14 days quarantine for arrivals
I wouldn’t wish to travel to any other country for a holiday this year
WHL

Post by WHL »

Going on a holiday, is the last thing on alot of peoples list at the moment, you only need one person to infect others in a hotel, for the whole lot to close down again.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Euripides Loizides, who also owns the Mayfair Hotel in Paphos which has been used as a quarantine hotel by the state for the mandatory two week isolation of repatriation arrivals, said the ‘quick coronvirus test (which has often proved incorrect), which takes an hour to complete, should be utilised to ensure safe travel.
A man with a vested interest!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

His hotel sounds like a grim place to stay for a holiday!

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I'm on several travel chat groups and although people are desperate to have a holiday, around two thirds of people have said they will not fly if there are such restrictions.

As for taking a test at the airport, that's not best practice is it, surely? For instance, we have to allow up to 90 minutes by taxi or a little longer by train to get to either Manchester or Liverpool airport and sometimes, depending on destination a hotel stay prior to boarding. What happens if you do all that for the test to come up positive? Bearing in mind it's almost impossible to find an insurance policy which covers for a holiday cancellation due to Covid-19 so all costs will be lost.

Then there's still talk of quarantine upon returning to the UK....

This man is looking out for his own pocket. And the hotel has been referred to as Colditz in comparison to other designated quarantine hotels being used in Cyprus.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
josef k

Post by josef k »

Kili01 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 am His hotel sounds like a grim place to stay for a holiday!

Dee
It's location is just off what is known as "Mr Chicken" street, behind Cosmic Bowling. Not an area I would want to stay in for a holiday.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

mouse wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am I am talking globally ! From the start there have been 2 very opposed camps, health people and money people. In my opinion money people have have made the situation much worse by there reluctance to do the sensible thing quickly. Some will agree with me , many won't !
If you are retired and living on a guaranteed income it is very easy to adopt the Health first view. It is not so easy if you have a family to feed and are out of a job.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:31 pm
mouse wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am I am talking globally ! From the start there have been 2 very opposed camps, health people and money people. In my opinion money people have have made the situation much worse by there reluctance to do the sensible thing quickly. Some will agree with me , many won't !
If you are retired and living on a guaranteed income it is very easy to adopt the Health first view. It is not so easy if you have a family to feed and are out of a job.
A point I have been making (and getting slated for) on a Facebook site. It's a difficult balance, but people do need to earn a living and for those in the tourist industry particularly, it has been devastating. I fully appreciate the seriousness of things, as do we all. But people are drowning, not literally of course, and for many it is a massive concern where the money for rent etc will come from.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, Josef K. thats not an area I would choose either... would prefer the Annabel- given the nec.funds......

Dee