Do I need a VPN?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Cheshire Lad

Do I need a VPN?

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Like most people, I’m bombarded by adverts trying to sell me a vpn.

Do I need one ? What would it give me, that I don’t have now ( peace of mind/ security ?)

Critically, I take iptv services from a well respected supplier on this board. Would having a vpn impact on the reception

CL.
trevnhil

Re: Do I need a VPN?

Post by trevnhil »

I don't personally think you do need a VPN. Mainly they seems to be used as a cloak as to living outside the UK, so you can watch I players.. If as you say you have iptv then you can watch all TV programs and probably catchup
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you do want a VPN, this is the one we recommend:

https://go.nordvpn.net/aff_c?offer_id=1 ... url_id=263
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Thanks Trev.
Thanks Dominic

CL
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

Dominic wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 pm If you do want a VPN, this is the one we recommend:

https://go.nordvpn.net/aff_c?offer_id=1 ... url_id=263
This looks a good deal at present. Not being at all techy would this mean I could watch English TV anywhere in the world? Also does it mean I have to log in to it each time ? Having read about Easyjet customers being hacked I presume this would stop it happening to me.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A VPN won't stop a hack like Easyjet's. The hack happened on their servers. If you want to visualise it in "old speak", somebody broke in and nicked one of their filing cabinets.

A VPN has many roles, but as far as TV watching is concerned it has two:

1. Location mask. This means that with a VPN you can pretend to be in a different country.
2. Privacy.Most websites use encryption these days. However, it is possible for eavesdroppers to tell that you have visited bbc.com, because the encrypted data being sent between your computer and bbc.com will have it's address. Otherwise, how would it get there? With a VPN, all an eavesdropper will see is that you are talking to the VPN. They won't know that you are actually accessing devilslurveconnection.eu
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have been told that having a good VPN allows the person to browse anywhere on the internet Including illegal sites without any trace being left! Including that mysterious zone ' the dark net'.
I remember having a VPN which enabled-me to access UK TV channels using my lap top. Lots of cables were involved so that I could relay the signal to my tv. That was in the days before the advent of the 'set top' Box which did it all much more neatly and gets steadily better and more reliable.

Dee