Has Anastasiades strategy been the right one?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Cheshire Lad

Has Anastasiades strategy been the right one?

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Lockdown is being relaxed in the UK. Germany is ahead, and were all looking to see if there is a potential for a spike in infections.

As someone who has lost a young relative in the UK, I’m very aware of the difference in numbers between Cyprus and the UK.

The Presidents lockdown strategy had been a little harsh, but my god it has delivered the numbers and established that Cyprus is a good place to be. I’d also like to commend the Police and Military, who’s vigilance have kept us safe and secure

Please keep up the momentum as far as economics and safety will allow.

It’s not a Sprint, it’s a Marathon

CL
trevnhil

Re: Has Anastasiades strategy been the right one?

Post by trevnhil »

The only bit I don't agree with is.. " The Presidents lockdown strategy had been a little harsh "..
But at least as you say it seems to have had the desired effect ..
Trev..
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Didn’t the President use that phrase himself ?

“I would rather be known as the President that introduced a harsh lock down rather than the President who did nothing and was responsible countless deaths”

or similar to that.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

If he did say that then he has been well quoted... I personally, don't feel they have been harsh..
Trev..
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The Aquila wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:36 pm Didn’t the President use that phrase himself ?

“I would rather be known as the President that introduced a harsh lock down rather than the President who did nothing and was responsible countless deaths”

or similar to that.
Edit...thinking about it he might have used “strict” not harsh.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The President and his team have handled this crises, exemplary in my mind.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that the President made the right decision, not sure about his exact wording. It was fairly harsh, but his directions were very clear. The only people who may have resented it were the people who tried to flout the terms we were obliged to follow, and got caught and fined,
Bur he achieved his objective and there were far less cases here of Covid 19 and only 24 deaths up to now. In very marked contrast to those in the UK.

Well done Cyprus Govt, supported by the police and the National Guard.

Dee
jeba

Post by jeba »

Cheshire Lad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:22 pm It’s not a Sprint, it’s a Marathon
Exactly, and therefore it´s too early to tell. But so far I feel so much safer here that that I cancelled my usual summer trip to Germany.
lin n vic

Post by lin n vic »

hi guys he done more than the clown we have in uk since lock down we have let in
over eight hundred thousand through heathrow and sent on there way with no checks at all
while the rest of the counrty is in lock down joke is not the word
stay safe
Vic
WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:39 am Not wanting to contradict anything posted on here apart from the statement that the UK has the worst death toll in Europe. Clearly comparing countries with different populations is ridiculous, the only fair way to compare them is by 'deaths per million' of population. By doing that the league table (although this is NOT a competition) is:-

Belgium 773
Spain 587
Italy 519
UK 495
France 420
Sweden 350
Netherlands 329
Ireland 305

Put's them all a lot closer together don't you think, with the UK not top of the table as some posters will always have you believe!
The question is, has the terrible handling of the virus, by those in charge in the UK contributed to more deaths then might of been, yes in my opinion.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Twitter always predicts a labour landslide at every election, too.

It is quite funny watching it when the results start coming in. The tweets go from “Yes the students are coming out to vote. Labour are on the way” through all the stages of grief, before returning to denial #notmygovernment. It is not the place to gauge the mood of the populace accurately. Too many paid shills at work.

But you can get funny stuff there. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:54 am
Austin7 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:39 am Not wanting to contradict anything posted on here apart from the statement that the UK has the worst death toll in Europe. Clearly comparing countries with different populations is ridiculous, the only fair way to compare them is by 'deaths per million' of population. By doing that the league table (although this is NOT a competition) is:-

Belgium 773
Spain 587
Italy 519
UK 495
France 420
Sweden 350
Netherlands 329
Ireland 305

Put's them all a lot closer together don't you think, with the UK not top of the table as some posters will always have you believe!
The question is, has the terrible handling of the virus, by those in charge in the UK contributed to more deaths then might of been, yes in my opinion.
You can’t answer that until we are all through it and on the other side.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:02 am

Belgium 773
Spain 587
Italy 519
UK 495
France 420
Sweden 350
Netherlands 329
Ireland 305

You can’t answer that until we are all through it and on the other side.
I take your point, Dominic, but the handling of this crises, by the UK government has been a shambles from the start, no one can deny that
WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:06 am

Belgium 773
Spain 587
Italy 519
UK 495
France 420
Sweden 350
Netherlands 329
Ireland 305

You could ask that about any of the countries on that list!
You are correct, but my concern is for the UK, as I have family living there , im sure the majority of members on here are too.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I think he has done an excellent job. I see no point in comparing him to any other leader, a pointless exercise in my opinion. My concern now is the social and economic impact on people. That is the next big worry.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:03 am
WHL wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:19 amYou are correct, but my concern is for the UK, as I have family living there , im sure the majority of members on here are too
I quite understand that, I have family in the UK too and in two other countries mentioned. What I cannot accept is those who continually propagate an untruth purely for the odious reason that they do not like Boris Johnson.
Thats not where im coming from, I don't care what political party is in government, im just commenting on how they have handled this crises, and in my opinion, its has been handled shambolicly...the present mayor of London is just as clueless, and his a Labour member if I'm not mistaken.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:40 am I think he has done an excellent job. I see no point in comparing him to any other leader, a pointless exercise in my opinion. My concern now is the social and economic impact on people. That is the next big worry.
It appears the UK population disagree with you as confidence in Blojo has plummeted.
Of course I wouldn't have expected anything else from you though I'm sure the families of many of the deceased wouldn't say his government were doing an "Excellent" job, especially those who had family members infected in care homes through the negligence of the government.
The problem is everyone has opinions but it's actual facts that are important and Blojos government has been shown to behind the curve since day one and has also lied and misled to cover their own inadequacies.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:21 am
Jimgym wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:40 am I think he has done an excellent job. I see no point in comparing him to any other leader, a pointless exercise in my opinion. My concern now is the social and economic impact on people. That is the next big worry.
It appears the UK population disagree with you as confidence in Blojo has plummeted.
Of course I wouldn't have expected anything else from you though I'm sure the families of many of the deceased wouldn't say his government were doing an "Excellent" job, especially those who had family members infected in care homes through the negligence of the government.
The problem is everyone has opinions but it's actual facts that are important and Blojos government has been shown to behind the curve since day one and has also lied and misled to cover their own inadequacies.

Jim
Perhaps if you read my post and what it was in response to before attacking me you might not make yourself look silly. For clarification, this thread is about the Cyprus President, and I was responding to that, it had nothing to do with Boris Johnson, or any other world leader.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

If you look at the posts directly above yours they were apertaing to the UK so my simple mind took it you were also referring to the UK as well. It appears I put two and two together and got five; my apologies for assuming you were praising Blojo.

Jim
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I have been happy with the Cyprus strategy so far but do have reservations that the removal of some restrictions is perhaps too soon especially the return of most schoolchildren to schools in the coming days, particularly as there is already a system in place, those students studying for important exams are already being accommodated and they will only be back at school for such a short time before the summer break.

Far better I feel to just open up visits to other members of the family, meeting other people first and allowing home visits at the next stage (as well as all the other proposed relaxations eg restaurants opening for outside use, hair appointments etc).