Tower fan v blade fan - recommendation please

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Tower fan v blade fan - recommendation please

Post by kansas »

We are considering buying a tower fan as they take up less room than a blade fan.

Never having had one before can anyone tell me the pros and cons, a good one to buy, and where from?

Many thanks
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Tower fan v blade fan - recommendation please

Post by Devil »

Checked also on noise!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Hmm I know what Devil is referring to. We have two, they are good, but yes they are noisy.. Maybe because the motor or motors provide two actions The impeller (Fan) is turned and also the fan body swivels
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The advantage is, that tower fans blowing the cooler air at the bottom of the room at you, unlike ceiling fans where the temperature up there can be 10-20c hotter. Yes they are more noisy, but who cares when it is hot in the night like these days (27c)
Thanks for the topic, I forgot that I bought one many years ago and will use it tonight.... :)
Max
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Max, does it matter about the air temp? If you’re hot and sweating the cooling effect of moving air should col you by evaporative cooling, I think that’s the term. I’ve always found on really hot days, the the ceiling fan in in our bedroom cools me very quickly and I end up turning it off within 20 mins or so. No good for Prince Andrew of course😂

Ian
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I also prefer a ceiling fan. They take up absolutely no floor space! I find that ours cool the whole room. Several designs to choose from, and they come with or without a light as well.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have six ceiling fans in lounges bedrooms and kitchen.. I would not be without them and would certainly replace any that broke.. I am off to bed now and our Bedroom fan will be on all night
Trev..
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

The ceiling fans have a switch which reverses the direction of the fan blades the theory been that in winter with the fans blades in one direction the warm air from above is directed downwards and in summer in the other direction the cool air below is drawn upwards.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

We have two pedestal fans, one in the bedroom and one in the living area attached to an extension lead, so very portable, effective and cheap to run.
Have lived in a place with ceiling fans but found horizontal air flow from a pedestal fan was cooler as well as making it easier for me to breathe.
Just tested all the AC units to make sure they're functioning, but rarely use them.
memory man

Post by memory man »

WHL

Post by WHL »

memory man wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:57 am @ LIDL next week.

https://www.lidl.com.cy/el/leaflets/pro ... ks/page/16
Was thinking of getting a couple of these, so popped into another store, to compare them but I wasn't impressed by the power coming out compared to the normal ones, so I won't be getting them
Last edited by WHL on Sun May 24, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

One can't expect more from 45 Watts, but perhaps not tooo noisy then...

Max
daveg

Post by daveg »

For those who's blade fan is suffering from low spin speed or no change in spin speed....have just changed the Capacitor in mine, a simple job with the aid of You Tube...
New Capacitor just €2.50 from tower electrics...