Paphos/Polis highway

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Paphos/Polis highway

Post by Dominic »

I read the second article. I wasn't impressed. They were talking about a 4 lane highway when that wasn't even on the agenda.

Widening the existing highway won't work. That will just cause complete chaos. Look at what happened when they tried to close the B7 outside Giolou to repair that..

Just read the third article. Equal amounts of guff. What a load of tosh. Take this for instance:

A motorway would kill all trade for those little villages along the way. Just look at the ghost-towns that the motorway created between Episkopi and Aphrodites’ Rock?

I drove along the old road last year, and it was like the wild west, with dilapidated shops everywhere and tumbleweeds in the high street.

Are they talking about Pissouri? There is a very busy Paps, petrol station and a number of other shops on that road. It is hardly a ghost town.

Besides, Giolou and Stroumpi, for instance, are already off the main B7. Most of the villages are to the left of it, coming from Paphos. Most people driving from Paphos to Polis will likely only stop at the kiosks on the way through. So they already only rely on local traffic.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sorry, but there won't be much countryside ripped up, and if anything it will show off a lot more countryside to the people on the motorway. Having driven and walked along the proposed route I can assure you it goes through areas that normally only a farmer or a hunter would see. The way the Green Party portrayed it, you would think they were building it straight up the middle of the Ezousa Valley.

Most of the trade for the kiosks mentioned comes from the local villages. That won't change.

It is the local villages that want the motorway. A lot of them are dying, because younger generations move to the city. A motorway will encourage them to stay in the villages and commute.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That is entirely accpetable. :)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The most important improvement to the existing Polis Rd would be to widen it on the uphill stretches on both sides of Tsada. Those are the worst sections causing a build up of traffic. It probably could be done, as you can see in other hilly/ mountainous areas in Europe where roads have been widened and improved to take heavy vehicles.
It could also be possible to put a vehicle weight limit thus prohibiting the use of the huge, oversized lorries currently using it. There are other smaller lorries more suited to non motorway roads.
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Smaller Lorries would of course mean an increase in traffic, ie there would be more lorries than there are now.. I find it difficult to see how some stretches could be widened. In particular the one to two Kilometre downhill from Tsada
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:59 pm Smaller Lorries would of course mean an increase in traffic, ie there would be more lorries than there are now.. I find it difficult to see how some stretches could be widened. In particular the one to two Kilometre downhill from Tsada
And where would the traffic go while the B7 was closed to accommodate the road works? Via Peyia?
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

You don't have to close roads to widen them. Anybody who has driven along a motorway in the UK knows that.

However, it does take thought and planning and probably some delays if one-way traffic is needed.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Well all the traffic from the east could go up through Konia, through Minthis hills Polemi, Agios Dimetrianos bypass Lasa down through Simou then back on the B7, it should add about half an hour on the journey, upset all the villages and piss of the foreign golfers.
On second thoughts, no it wouldn't work 😁
David
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Trev, having traveled in both Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia, road widening in mountainous areas seems to involve either cutting into the rock in hillside near to the existing road. It can be done, preferably by engaging a company where there is previous experience! Alternatively, sometimes additional width to enable extra carriageway has been done by building a cantilevered section on the valley side of a mountain road with reinforced concrete. Obviously expensive methods, but must be cheaper than building a new motorway.
Probably if a big engineering road project were to be suggested on the road section near Tsada, developers might put a brake on their plans for future developments which would involve delays in their construction.

Or alternatively (more likely) they will do nothing except argue about it for another extended period. A bit like the saga of the Coral Bay marina.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think it is more likely that nothing will be done at all.. I remember when we were looking for piece of land to build on we were aware roughly of the route of the new 'motorway' and avoided anywhere near the route. But that was 10 years ago and nothing has been done..
Trev..
lotus

Post by lotus »

To be honest having traveled on this road hundreds of times I think the present road is fine,ok you get the occasional hold up with a Lorry or farmers in their pick ups,at the end of the day do you really want to get from A to B that quickly! I saw the plans for the new road years ago and it would cause a lot of disruption in the villages en route,the kiosks and the few shops you pass now do benefit a bit from passing trade,and quite honestly it's the way some of the buggers drive which cause problems on all the roads here,Iam including all nationalities not just Cypriots !
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Good post Lotus! You raised some good points which are quite true. I have made the same observations myself.It’s not as if the volume of traffic on this road is consistently high
24/7. Busy times are usually during the working day, up to about 4pm and on summer weekends and public holidays in summer.

It is a road where careful driving avoids accidents!

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Uncle D wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:48 am Well all the traffic from the east could go up through Konia, through Minthis hills Polemi, Agios Dimetrianos bypass Lasa down through Simou then back on the B7, it should add about half an hour on the journey, upset all the villages and piss of the foreign golfers.
On second thoughts, no it wouldn't work 😁
No it couldn’t. They had to divert B7 traffic through Polemi and Kallepeia a few months ago and it was awful. The road between Polemi and Kallepeia is not designed for that sort of traffic. Get a lorry coming in both directions and it is a jam.
JimX

Post by JimX »

For at least the twenty years they have been promising this road, will it ever happen in our lifetime? not a chance I feel.
Jim.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Trimithousa to Tsada known as Klimakas road needs more policing or cameras to stop the stupid overtaking manoeuvres, the traffic lights at Trimithousa have saved loads of accidents since they were installed
David
glowred

Post by glowred »

I travel this road most days, in the mornings about 7am, there are always sand lorries, concrete trucks and agricultural vehicles that hold up the free flow of traffic. It doesn't matter how safely you think you drive there isn't a day goes past without the suicidal manouvres of the idiot drivers overtaking from behind the queue and just hoping that you are going to let them in before they hit the other idiots overtaking from the opposite direction. I hope they build the new road as soon as poosible.

Neil
lotus

Post by lotus »

With respect Neil it's not the road at fault it's the frigging idiots driving,!!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:10 pm Stupid overtaking manoeuvres happen because drivers get frustrated at their inability to make progress behind crawling uphill traffic.

A dual carriageway would largely overcome that problem.
There is also stupid overtaking on downhill traffic, 65KPH isnt fast enough for some any time of day.
As previously mentioned it doesn't look like a dual carriageway or road widening is going to happen.
David