Treasury considering freeze on pensions and public sector pay to cover coronavirus bill

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Treasury considering freeze on pensions and public sector pay to cover coronavirus bill

Post by memory man »

Newspaper reports have claimed the chancellor is considering income tax hikes, a public sector pay freeze and the end of the triple lock on pensions to fund the debt sparked by the coronavirus.

READ MORE HERE
Chaddy

Re: Treasury considering freeze on pensions and public sector pay to cover coronavirus bill

Post by Chaddy »

Well I can understand this.The old saying " there,s no such thing as a free lunch "
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Treasury considering freeze on pensions and public sector pay to cover coronavirus bill

Post by Devil »

Sounds like a very good sense to me. What you do not have you cannot give away.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

They didn't ban the Bankers bonuses did they even though it cost In excess of 500 billion pounds to bail those criminals out?

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jim B wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:27 pm They didn't ban the Bankers bonuses did they even though it cost In excess of 500 billion pounds to bail those criminals out?

Jim
This is a totally different irrelevant kettle of fish!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Devil wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:57 pm
Jim B wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:27 pm They didn't ban the Bankers bonuses did they even though it cost In excess of 500 billion pounds to bail those criminals out?

Jim
This is a totally different irrelevant kettle of fish!
Maybe to you Devil but not to me.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

It will be the same in every country affected by this virus,
governments don't have a money tree,
it will come from taxes one way or another
darrow

Post by darrow »

Well, if they do, it will be a double wammy for me! I have had several freezes and 1% pay rises over the last few years, resulting in about 20% less than I probably would have had, also on the state pension? I am not one of the civil service wallahs on gold plated pension! Both my pensions are very modest. Easy targets, the public sector workers or retirees.
lin n vic

Post by lin n vic »

Hi guys lets remember uk is a very wealthy country we give 5.2 billon away each year in foreign aid
let all the migrants in and tuck them up nicely too many snowflakes here aong with the house of lords
claiming £320 a day then they want to not give anybody a rise do me a favour
Vic
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Interesting use of the word ‘ considering’
This will happen.

What really annoys me is that the retiree group has paid it’s NIC contributions all their lives for ‘whippersnappers‘ to tell us that Their need is greater than ours

Précis: get the old folks to pay into the system , but restrict their benefits

We have supported you throughout your unemployment/ furlough period. Have the good grace to acknowledge where the support came from, an support that sector when they need it

CL