RIP Millie Small

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

RIP Millie Small

Post by WHL »

I'm sure everyone danced to this at party's over the years, thanks for the memories

lotus

Re: RIP Millie Small

Post by lotus »

What a shame,grew up in this era
josef k

Post by josef k »

Such a shame. I was a fan.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Met Millie Small in a club called the Discotheque in Wardour Street London. I think it was in 1964/65. Seems a lifetime ago.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Ah, remember it well. One of the first records I danced to. In fact it got everyone up and dancing.......
WHL

Post by WHL »

Reesy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 am Met Millie Small in a club called the Discotheque in Wardour Street London. I think it was in 1964/65. Seems a lifetime ago.
17 Wardour st, it was La Discotheque , first disco in London, it is a thai restaurant now called Chalida
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Millie sang in The Spa Pavilion, Strathpeffer, North of Inverness back in the 1960's. I met her there when I was working there as a school girl. One day, my Father was working in our garden - we lived near the top of a hill near the Golf Course. Millie walked past with her dog - a Poodle - and stopped to speak to Dad. He had no idea who she was but said she was lovely. xx
Ruth x

Qui Me Amat, Amet et canem meum
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

It was great to hear from someone who remembered The Discotheque..Did you ever go there WHL ? I also used to go to a club to see Georgie Fame play , I think it was the Flemingo. Just off Wardour Street was Old Compton Street , where my favourite restaurant Menzies was. All men waiters wearing pinafores. Stewed Eels and mash to start followed by Skate and chips. I used to meet my friend Buster Edwards there...Happy Days!
boycott

Post by boycott »

Buster Edwards NOT a nice man at all - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Edwards
WHL

Post by WHL »

Reesy wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:19 am It was great to hear from someone who remembered The Discotheque..Did you ever go there WHL ? I also used to go to a club to see Georgie Fame play , I think it was the Flemingo. Just off Wardour Street was Old Compton Street , where my favourite restaurant Menzies was. All men waiters wearing pinafores. Stewed Eels and mash to start followed by Skate and chips. I used to meet my friend Buster Edwards there...Happy Days!
I spoke to Buster Edwards a couple of times at his flower stall, we were in Soho most nights of the week, and we went to several discos in that area, St Moritz, Tiffany's, Whiskey a go go, le Valboun , etc
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Well WHL our paths must have crossed. I went to all these clubs except St.Moritz , which I cannot remember. I was there from 1964...Le Valboun was a famous venue , but I cannot remember where it was....
WHL

Post by WHL »

Reesy wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:01 pm Well WHL our paths must have crossed. I went to all these clubs except St.Moritz , which I cannot remember. I was there from 1964...Le Valboun was a famous venue , but I cannot remember where it was....
Small world ,le Valboun was in kingly street off Beak street, St Moritz was a posh, club, not my cup of tea, but I was going out with a posh bird at the time and she was a member, never paid for a drink, she used to put it on her tab and daddy used to pay it off, happy days

Just googled the clubs history on google, and annual membership fees were £4,000 a year, that was serious money back in the 60s/70s :shock: