Protocol for new "regime" as tourism eyes restart

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mirek

Re: Protocol for new "regime" as tourism eyes restart

Post by Mirek »

I think its about time the government banned hotels operating a 100% all inclusive basis

The money is just flowing out of the economy to foreign investors that own these hotels whereas the bars, restaurants and shops would benefit by the business and spread the wealth more evenly

I think Protaras did something similar a few years ago

Even if they restricted this to 2-3 days only it would help
WHL

Post by WHL »

Mirek wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 am I think its about time the government banned hotels operating a 100% all inclusive basis

The money is just flowing out of the economy to foreign investors that own these hotels whereas the bars, restaurants and shops would benefit by the business and spread the wealth more evenly

Protaras has never banned all inclusive, nor does it have the power to do so
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

WHL wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:56 am
Mirek wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 am I think its about time the government banned hotels operating a 100% all inclusive basis

Protaras has never banned all inclusive, nor does it have the power to do so
It was in fact Paphos hoteliers who were seeking the ban in 1997 and that was before some of the big new hotels offering the deal were built

[08] Paphos businesses protest about all-inclusive deals

By Aline Davidian
ALL-INCLUSIVE package deals are offered by very few Cypriot hotels and occur solely on the initiative of large tour operators abroad, Hotel Association Director-general Zacharias Ioannides said yesterday.

Hotels offering such deals have recently come under fire from businesses in Paphos that rely on tourism for much of their turnover, who accuse the hotels of trying to monopolise the industry in the area.

The all-inclusive package deal is not a phenomenon restricted to Cyprus, Ioannides said yesterday. It happens in hotels worldwide. Originally the concept targeted the exotic island resort where there would only be one hotel anyway, he added.

The reason such all-inclusive deals had begun to be offered by Cypriot hotels was because of decisions taken by major tour operators abroad.

"They (tour operators) discovered that the consumer was more at ease with a package deal that included out of pocket expenses," Ioannides said. "This means while they stay in the hotel of their choice, they can eat and drink at no further cost."

He said the number of hotels in Cyprus offering such deals was small, although they could be found in all of the island's resorts.

Protests in Paphos may be due to the greater number of hotels offering all- inclusive deals in the area, Ioannides said.

But he added that Paphos draws only 15 per cent of tourists, while the majority targets resorts in the free Famagusta area - accounting for 30-35 per cent of total arrivals.

He said the issue of hotels offering all-inclusive deals was being examined by the Hoteliers' Association, and that and the matter would also be examined at the next meeting of the Cyprus Tourism Organisation Co- ordinating Committee.

http://www.hri.org/news/cyprus/cmnews/1 ... mnews.html
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Stopping AI might not be the best idea but making the hotel owners pay their outstanding bills would be a great improvement!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I believe a self catering holiday will become more popular than staying at a hotel which would benefit local businesses enormously as well as being a safer option.
WHL

Post by WHL »

No one will stop A1 , families who want A1 will just head to Greece, Turkey, etc etc, You get what you pay for , so if watered down beer, and second rate food is your thing, go for it.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Lloyd, as you well know, these bills are historic and relate to water and electric and you have also commented on this in the past!
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

The possible quarantine proposal in the UK press, makes for bad reading as far as tourists are concerned. If Cyprus also does this, tourists will need a 4 week holiday staying in their rooms; 2 here & 2 when they get back to UK.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52594023
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

mike strand2 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:50 am The possible quarantine proposal in the UK press, makes for bad reading as far as tourists are concerned. If Cyprus also does this, tourists will need a 4 week holiday staying in their rooms; 2 here & 2 when they get back to UK.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52594023
It will kill the holiday trade for many countries. The knock on effect for other services doesn't bear thinking about.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I think they will need six weeks, four weeks in Cyprus and two in the UK, or it won't be a holiday, just more lockdown.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Wow that is serious, and it is a pity you cannot remember where you saw it and post a link
Last edited by trevnhil on Sat May 09, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Yes very worrying, my Son and his family live there at the moment, I was hoping to see them all when flights resumed.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

My daughter and grandson live in Switzerland and my granddaughter in France. It seems unlikely that we shall see any of them, possibly before the autumn. However, Skype does help the problem, although we have been getting a lot of problems with it recently.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The initial suspension of flights was up until 14 May so there will be a decision next week of the subject. I don’t think the EU can dictate who can fly where and this is purely down to the specific government of the country.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Some have been banging on how wonderful Cypriot Government have been quarantined all repatriation to the island and how horrendous the U.K. is letting all and sundry into the Country but as soon as the U.K. mentions everyone entering needs to quarantine then this is also wrong there is a higher force than armchair experts
Tourism from the U.K. if this is enforced will be nil effecting most destinations economically as well as their own but whatever the Government does it can’t do right for doing wrong
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Everybody is talking the toot. This is a chat forum, after all.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

HIC one cannot compare a small island like Cyprus to the U.K.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Unfortunately, everything concerning the handling of the Corona virus in the UK is being done weeks too late as HIC posted. To begin with Boris and his senior Govt officials didn’t seem to be taking the threat seriously enough. Then Boris caught the virus and his Govt officials were left to carry the can. They were reluctant to make some of the major decisions, insufficient PPE had been ordered to protect the NHS medical staff dealing with the Covid patients in hospitals, or the care workers in care homes.. the lock down also came too late. And the result is very sad in terms of the number of cases and the number of deaths.
Dee
J B

Post by J B »

Dominic wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 pm Everybody is talking the toot. This is a chat forum, after all.
Never heard that expression - care to explain? ;)
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sort of conversations you have in a pub, where it goes round and round and nothing ever gets accomplished despite having talked about something for 4 hours.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.