Trying to understand the new rules

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Ams

Trying to understand the new rules

Post by Ams »

Hello all

I understand that for exercise, the rule about "adjacent to your house" as been removed (albeit the official site in English has not been updated yet) so presumably that means I can go for a short drive and then walk there. Also that although parks are still closed you can walk on pathways in the parks (max 2 people). And that while beaches are still closed you can go for a swim as long as you don't hang about on the beach before and after.

So does this mean that I can drive 10 minutes down the road and go for a walk along the sea - not on the beach, but on the path running along the beach, eg at Timi or Mandria? Does anyone know for sure? The opinions on the Facebook groups are so varied, it's confusing. I have really missed the sea and really want to go for a walk down there, but don't really want to pay €300 for the pleasure!

In a week or 2 I may even go for a swim :) (last year I had swum by now, but with the current weather I think I'll wait a little longer). I know that's allowed but would like to walk near the sea in the meantime.

Thanks
Last edited by Ams on Tue May 05, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kili01

Re: Trying to understant the new rules

Post by Kili01 »

I have heard the suggestion that you can walk in your own district, ie anywhere with the same post code. In my case it's the whole village area which includes a stretch of coastal path.. But the wording is a bit ambiguous! Elsewhere in the translated Presidents speech is says you should stay in your own district and not drive to other districts unless you are visiting a vulnerable person or have another good reason (acceptable to the police!) presumably.
Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The districts are clearly defined by their main towns; Paphos, Limassol, Larnaca etc. and are large areas ( mostly > 1000 km2)
Ams

Re: Trying to understand the new rules

Post by Ams »

Austin7 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:23 pm Nothing to do with post codes. As Devil says our District is Paphos, so anywhere as long as it isn't Limmasol, Larnaca etc. Yesterday for the first time since the lockdown I went (via car) from Tala down to the coast for a dog walk. Considering there were no tourists it was still quite busy. Of course I did my SMS permit first.
Thanks Austin, that's what I want to do (though I don't have a dog). It's good to know that other people are doing that (though hopefully not to the point where there are too many).

I too understood "district" to be the whole of Paphos, though I am happy to stick to the coast nearer where I live initially, I don't need to drive all the way to Latchi for example, I can wait till after the 21st for that.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Devil wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:11 pm The distr

icts are clearly defined by their main towns; Paphos, Limassol, Larnaca etc. and are large areas ( mostly > 1000 km2)

Just to clarify. A district is as Chloraka or Pegia. Paphos is a Region and not a district. So do not get caught out
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Lincoln wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 pm Just to clarify. A district is as Chloraka or Pegia. Paphos is a Region and not a district. So do not get caught out
Sorry but you are totally wrong! There is no such thing as a region. Paphos is a District and the town; all the Districts are named after their main town.
2020-05-05_135805.jpg
2020-05-05_135805.jpg (31.3 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
2020-05-05_135938.jpg
2020-05-05_135938.jpg (46.89 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I agree with Devil, albeit the regulations do not actually state "Administrative Districts".
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

One of the endearing aspects of living somewhere like Cyprus is that everything important usually has an English translation! And because of the differences in the way that sentences are constructed often the translation is delightfully ambiguous as in this case!
The only important thing in this case is how the police see it. If you get it wrong then it will cost you €300! I wonder where all the money being paid out in fines actually ends up!
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There are six districts in Cyprus.

We know that the government were referring to these districts, because originally they said you could only leave them for medical reasons. At the same time they said that you can go swimming.

It was then pointed out, that if you live in Nicosia, you cannot go swimming in the sea without going into another district.

So they revised the description, to state that you can go between districts if you are going for a swim.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Devil wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:11 pm The districts are clearly defined by their main towns; Paphos, Limassol, Larnaca etc. and are large areas ( mostly > 1000 km2)
As I want to buy a car from another district I asked the police whether it´s ok to transfer it and the answer was "yes - use number 8".
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I think that matter has now concluded. You can go anywhere as long as you have a valid reason.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Devil wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:08 pm
Lincoln wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 pm Just to clarify. A district is as Chloraka or Pegia. Paphos is a Region and not a district. So do not get caught out
Sorry but you are totally wrong! There is no such thing as a region. Paphos is a District and the town; all the Districts are named after their main town.

2020-05-05_135805.jpg

2020-05-05_135938.jpg
Thank you for that clarification Devil. :D
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

mike strand2 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:18 pm You can go anywhere as long as you have a valid reason.
This village is in Larnaca district on the border between Larnaca and Nicosia districts. In order to buy bread, I could go to Nisou, a tad over 10 km away but it is in Nicosia district. Alternatively, I could go to Larnaca, even Aradippou, about 25 km away and stay within the regulations. Guess which?
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Surely the important thing is how many other people are there.

If you live in a district, using whichever definition you like, and the place you go to walk has lots of people who are not socially distancing then the thing to do is go somewhere else.

The same goes for shops.

Just because we are on the first stage out of coming out of lockdown does not mean that the virus has gone away. It is more important to look out for yourself then ever.
Ams

Post by Ams »

Mighty Sprite wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:45 am Surely the important thing is how many other people are there.

If you live in a district, using whichever definition you like, and the place you go to walk has lots of people who are not socially distancing then the thing to do is go somewhere else.

The same goes for shops.

Just because we are on the first stage out of coming out of lockdown does not mean that the virus has gone away. It is more important to look out for yourself then ever.
And I am looking out for myself and carrying on social distancing as before. I just want to be able to go for a walk near the sea (or in the countryside for that matter), where there are hardly any other people and it's easy to keep a far distance - I know plenty of places where that is possible, even without going too far from home, though I would need to drive there. What is not clear from the rules is if we are allowed to walk along the paths near the sea.