Met Office issues thunderstorm warning for Tuesday

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Met Office issues thunderstorm warning for Tuesday

Post by Paphos Life »

The Met Office has issued a yellow alert for Tuesday, warning of thunderstorms, probably accompanied by hail.It said the locally accumulated precipitation may exceed 35 millimetres per hour.The yellow alert is in force from 11 am to 7 pm.Meanwhile, in its early morning weather bulletin, the Met Office said that an unstable air mass is affecting the area....

Read the article and chat about it below...
mike strand2

Re: Met Office issues thunderstorm warning for Tuesday

Post by mike strand2 »

Crashing around me right now.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Thunder and heavy rain in Peyia.
Louise :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is a little horrendous with rain Hail and thunder up here in Polemi
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

No hail our side Trevor, yet!

Ian
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

The storm whizzed through. Thunder, lightning and heavy rain. Now clear sky with some wispy cloud about
All things are possible
Ams

Post by Ams »

Yes, that was a quick storm here and it's nice and sunny outside now - but it feels and smells so lovely and fresh!
JimX

Post by JimX »

Pass the sun lotion 8-)
Jim.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Nope that did not happen, a little light rain about 5pm, we did get that thunder in fact it knocked out our power supply. Today should be very nice.
Jim.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

It's a glorious morning here in Kissonerga. Despite the slow start yesterday, my PV converter tells me I generated 18.4kw. Only one day so far when it went above 20kw, but that will no doubt seem low once summer gets fully into gear.

BTW, for the other 'generators' on here. I have 11 panels, split to face east & west.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for the last line Mike :-) It does put things into a better perspective ;-)
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

mike strand2 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:40 am It's a glorious morning here in Kissonerga. Despite the slow start yesterday, my PV converter tells me I generated 18.4kw. Only one day so far when it went above 20kw, but that will no doubt seem low once summer gets fully into gear.

BTW, for the other 'generators' on here. I have 11 panels, split to face east & west.
I would be very interested how much you produce on a sunny day like today with your 11 modules in your east/west configuration. I am guessing, that they are 275 Wp each, in total 3.025 kWp installation. Important is also to know if you have optimizer on your modules mounted and what your roof tilt is (ca 20% ?) So if you don't mind to post your today's production later on to compare it with my system.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Actually the panels prefer April and May to the hotter months, in my experience.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too always thought that cool and sunny was best ..
Trev..
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 pm
mike strand2 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:40 am It's a glorious morning here in Kissonerga. Despite the slow start yesterday, my PV converter tells me I generated 18.4kw. Only one day so far when it went above 20kw, but that will no doubt seem low once summer gets fully into gear.

I would be very interested how much you produce on a sunny day like today with your 11 modules in your east/west configuration. I am guessing, that they are 275 Wp each, in total 3.025 kWp installation. Important is also to know if you have optimizer on your modules mounted and what your roof tilt is (ca 20% ?) So if you don't mind to post your today's production later on to compare it with my system.

Max
06/05/2020 - Correction; 12 panels (Amerisolar 295W) 6 front, 6 back. No optimiser. Today 20,2kw Roof tilt approx 20 deg.

East / West as no possibility have any on south gable wall without planning permission!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

mike strand2 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:06 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 pm

Max
06/05/2020 - Correction; 12 panels (Amerisolar 295W) 6 front, 6 back. No optimiser. Today 20,2kw Roof tilt approx 20 deg.

East / West as no possibility have any on south gable wall without planning permission!

Thank you for your answer Mike. Your result is quite reasonable for the fact that the modules are installed in east/west position and not at the optimum of South. My system, also without optimizer, also ca 20 degree, 140 degree South/East, produced 6 kW/h per kWp installed today. That shows to me that more people could install photovoltaik without large losses, even when they don't have a large enough roof facing South.
Per year you will produce ca 5700 kW/h with your system.

Max
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Our production today was a record for us. Our 17 panels produced 34.2kwh and, in the 24 hour period, we used 10.8kw of which 6.7 came from our panels.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:42 pm Actually the panels prefer April and May to the hotter months, in my experience.
The disadvantage of Solar modules in hotter month is the drop of voltage in the system. You can try a experiment by cooling the modules with the garden hose and you will see immediately that your electricity production goes up. However one produces more kWh's in June/July/Aug with more sunshine hours per day. You can see on this graphic and data how much you can produce with your system at Polemi, providing the modules are not too much covered with dust or shaded from trees.

Max