Anastasiades announces easing of lockdown from May 4

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
CYWALL

Re: Anastasiades announces easing of lockdown from May 4

Post by CYWALL »

HI everyone, i'm a little confused, who isn't these days, my question is with the relaxing of the lock down next Monday, or even the further plans to relax them later on May 21st, how far can we go for a drive, are we allowed out of our village Chloraka and go to Tala as an example.
Thanks.
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

mike strand2 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:37 am Will supermarkets still be applying the dedicated early access for elderly & vulnerable people? If not, then that worries me!
They said on the local news on television last night that the dedicated early access for the elderly and vulnerable, between 7am and 10am, would continue.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Ancient History wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:09 am
mike strand2 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:37 am Will supermarkets still be applying the dedicated early access for elderly & vulnerable people? If not, then that worries me!
They said on the local news on television last night that the dedicated early access for the elderly and vulnerable, between 7am and 10am, would continue.
Thanks for that news. It certainly makes sense at least until early June.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:27 am
Dominic wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:39 pmAny second wave will likely happen once international travel resumes in earnest. That's when things will get interesting, for want of a better word.

I don't believe it will. The CEO of Heathrow Airport said yesterday that a very strict regime of testing will be in place before anyone can fly from his airport when it eventually reopens. And whilst he admitted it is impossible to practice social distancing at an airport, there will be a requirement to wear face masks at his airport. Some airlines are also saying that they will require masks to be worn on a flight. They will also be introducing strict cleaning regimes. Easyjet are talking about possibly leaving the middle seat empty on their flights. And you can bet your bottom dollar that receiving airports will also have a strict testing regime on entry.

Whilst the above system is not infallible, what we all need for the virus to die out is a reinfect rate less than 1. This is the aim of all governments and why test, trace and track (from the outset) is the most valuable tool in the armoury. One of the reasons why New Zealand and Cyprus were so successful was because they T,T and T'd from the very start. While the UK has now ramped up it's testing, as a doctor said yesterday, this is a complete waste of time unless the tests are followed up with trace and track. But it's a bit late in the day now for the UK, the virus has already spread far and wide.

Whilst wife and I have booked to go back to the UK later in the year, we will not be travelling unless we feel it safe to do so,

Time will tell. We certainly won't get a second wave before International flight is resumed though. I think the lockdown has seen to that. Touch wood. The vast majority of the population has been 100% behind the president. In Paps, in Polis for instance, social distancing has been a pleasure. People have been polite, giving each other space, and generally understanding the situation.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic, HIC,
I agree with all you have said. HIC 10/10 for your optimism regarding second wave. I hope you are right. Not sure that the Cyprus Government will be allowing flights in from UK until UK has demonstrably shown that they have the virus under control.
Let's (All nationalities) not rest on our laurels.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:31 am We certainly won't get a second wave before International flight is resumed though.
Don´t be too sure. One superspreader event is enough for that to happen. Or some infected refugees crossing the green line unnoticed. I´m not sure you can trust the numbers from the North.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:09 pm That's why the crossing points are now closed. You think the Cypriot authorities will let people in willy-nilly from the North?
Not deliberately, of course. However, it´s not as there was an unsurmountable wall guarded like the Berlin Wall.
Varky

Post by Varky »

jeba wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:09 pm That's why the crossing points are now closed. You think the Cypriot authorities will let people in willy-nilly from the North?
Not deliberately, of course. However, it´s not as there was an unsurmountable wall guarded like the Berlin Wall.
Aren't some parts of the Green Line mined?

I would have thought that if it was that easy to cross the Green Line, immigrants from Syria would have been crossing from the North in their hordes.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I don’t think the 3 Ts would have been successful in the U.K. especially when those people were travelling into London on the tubes, one can hardly compare the U.K. with Cyprus as the population is far higher and concentrated
So far the Cypriot Government appears to be doing a good job especially as tourism is the main source of income they will wish to see the island as free as possible of the virus as us all
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:18 pm
jeba wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 pm
Aren't some parts of the Green Line mined?

I would have thought that if it was that easy to cross the Green Line, immigrants from Syria would have been crossing from the North in their hordes.
They got rid of all mines years ago

From the UN site

As a result of these efforts, in the past seven years, over 27,000 land mines have been removed from the buffer zone, 81 minefields have been declared mine free, and 10.985,338 square meters of land have been released and returned to their original use.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

If people can get from the south to the north even though the border points are closed, then it stands to reason they can come in the other direction.

''Two men wanted in connection with the murder of a 20 year old in Chlorakas on April 10 have been arrested in the Turkish-held north and are expected to be handed over to authorities by the UN, philenews reports''.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/two-men ... -in-north/