Coptic Gale?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Coptic Gale?

Post by kansas »

The weather is absolutely beautiful this morning, but our neighbour has just advised us that a coptic gale is on the way.

Is anyone aware of a sand storm on the way?

Thanks in advance
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Coptic Gale?

Post by Devil »

There is no such thing as a Coptic gale! It is a figment of the imagination of the people who have only a tiny wee bit of brain. If you don't believe me, look at all the past threads on the subject. :twisted: :twisted:
kansas

Post by kansas »

Now now Devil, don't get your knickers in a twist!

I know there have been loads and loads of threads on this subject in the past but, nonetheless, most of the people we know still refer to the high winds and dust at certain times of the year, as coptic gales. To be honest we don't care much about the correct terminology, we just want to know if sh.t weather is on the way!!

Thanks in advance
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

2020-04-28_153827.jpg
2020-04-28_153827.jpg (98.74 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Very much doubt it this week :D :D :D
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thank you Devil. Much appreciated.
lotus

Post by lotus »

According to Cyprus Storms Coptic winds charts there's one due 29th April,tomorrow!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The highest winds forecast for us (Paphos) this week are on Friday afternoon with gusts up to 40 km per hour..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Coptic gales origins are lost in the mists of time..According to the list of them that I have, the one due on the 29th April is called Khamseen Winds. Its also called the Sand Gale. According to the old myths these gales can be + +or— 3days.
They can be very messy as sand from the Sahara may come with the gale.
Sometimes they don’t come when expected.

Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

Oh well Dee, hope it doesn't come as the OH has just wiped down all the wrought iron gates, and cleaned the patio's!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We did official scientific tests on the Paphos Life forum two years ago that showed that coptic gales were guff. I still get the odd "Well my husband's a windowcleaner and he always follows the coptic calendar". Which is a total lie. He doesn't. All he does is listen to the weather forecast. If a storm (or gale, or light breeze) happens at the time of a coptic gale, that is 100% proof of their accuracy. He conveniently forgets all the times they don't happen.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Yep. The Dev man may come across as a grumpy crabbit old fart sometimes. . . . . . . . But, he DOES appear to know his stuff. ❤ Especially about winds and all things Coptic🤔.

I have followed him (and some of his thoughts) from around 2005/6 onwards and especially his proven educated facts on our climate.

He remains to me, the 'Dogs Bollocks' of pretty much all sorts of things. I love him to bits AND, I bow to his elderly and intellectual take on life.

Maggie B

PS I've met him, and he really IS a Crabbit loveable old Rapscallion. ❤❤❤
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

No, Maggie, not all things Coptic. For example, I have no clue about the church which claims to have been founded in the decade after the crucifixion, by Saint Mark.

On the other hand, I admit to that I can be very abrasive and crabbit at times but my sandpaper is quite worn. I have doubts about "lovable" but I let that slide. :) :) :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Get a room. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.