Masks and Gloves

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Masks and Gloves

Post by Lincoln »

We went to Pap's at the traffic lights in town early this morning- the oldies time. We wore our masks and then gloved up on entry. However, what we could not understand, was the many expats wondering around without a care in the world with NO Mask and NO Gloves. Handling everything and replacing the items back. Well we avoided them as if they had the plague. :mrgreen: :roll:

Back home usual routine of washing all and everything.
All things are possible
emgee

Re: Masks and Gloves

Post by emgee »

Lincoln

Until there are "laws" about what and not to wear then it is up to the individual what precautions they take. Don't worry about others, just look after yourself.

Alan
emgee

Post by emgee »

Lincoln

Did you forget to "declare an interest" written in another post on here your previous employment history of "selling medical disposables to the healthcare industry?

Alan
Paul

Post by Paul »

We have been out shopping and people where walking around with masks on some on there mouth only and some with it on there chin only.
What the hell good will that do!
Varky

Post by Varky »

emgee wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:41 am Lincoln
Did you forget to "declare an interest" written in another post on here your previous employment history of "selling medical disposables to the healthcare industry?
Alan
I hardly think that Lincoln's comment on this thread is compromised by any possible 'interest' as you infer. In fact anyone could have made the same comments without contradiction, which as a matter of fact has already been done on this thread.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Alan
Why should he have to declare an interest? And on what authority do you ask such a question?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Alan
Why should he have to declare an interest? And on what authority do you ask such a question?
Humor fail
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

As far as handling goods goes, it seems unfair when you think about it initially, however, if the product has a use by date of the next day, if it is a case of 'I need it, but won't use it for two days', what then, presumably go without or shop again the next day.

I have been lucky enough to have supermarket deliveries in the UK up to now, but most of the fresh fruit and vegetables have had a very short shelf life, which is not convenient. Because you can't see dates for yourself, you end up with say four lots of vegetables that have to be used by the following day.

Supermarket win, win.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

When I first bought a mask, I wore it upside down not knowing!. However my optician put me straight on that. That was the first packet I bought of disposable masks. Since then I have been fortunate to buy a washable woven cotton one with an air filter. I wear it when ever I am in a supermarket plus a pair of disposable gloves.
I must say that I go early to Lidl for the oldies time. I find that they handle it much better than either Paps or Philipos. They check the number of people inside the store in and out, the store has wide aisles and most customers are gloved and masked. There is much more space around the check outs, so you can maintain the distance.
Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

We went to a funeral earlier this week. We were asked to ensure we wore masks. We did, but no one else did. There were 8 people most of whom were standing or sitting close to one another. Even the funeral directors took their masks off.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I don’t care too much if someone has gloves or not. If you touch your face or your bag, keys etc which may already be contaminated if you have the virus without knowing or you touch a can of beans with your gloved hand which may be contaminated then you can spread it with your gloved hand. I do wear gloves but my philosophy is to wash or sanitise my hands before and after every interaction. The change, receipt etc. are handed to you by the same gloved hand of the cashier who has touched thousands of items that day which were touched in turn by hundreds of others - shelf stackers and other customers. Don’t touch your face and wash/sanitise your hands regularly in my opinion is the best strategy.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I don’t touch my face when wearing the mask, and I put it on and take it off, just by releasing the elastic straps behind my ears. I wash my hands on returning home, and I wash the mask with laundry detergent and hot water. I dry it outside on the line. I bin my gloves after getting home.
I take what I think are sensible precautions, re social distancing and washing my hands regularly, use hand sanitiser too. But I don’t go overboard on this and refuse to leave my house. Though I know that I’m in the vulnerable group because of age.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:34 pm The change, receipt etc. are handed to you by the same gloved hand of the cashier who has touched thousands of items that day which were touched in turn by hundreds of others - shelf stackers and other customers.

Jeanne
I have always preferred to pay using cash and try to make sure I have the exact amount to pay but that doesn't always happen. Even so, I carry a plastic bag and put the receipt and/or any change inside, so that way it is isolated until I get home and can deal with it along with my purchases and shopping bags.

The other day I cleaned all the notes and coins we have, including emptying the piggy bank - amazed how dirty the coins were! Last time I went shopping the cashier laughed when I assured her I was handing over clean money.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:23 am Wife also wipes down (with antiseptic wipes) the car keys and house keys, and all the goods she's bought, and the credit cards, and any notes from an ATM, and the till receipts, and..., and..., and...

Given that Cyprus is only getting 5-10 new cases a day this might well be regarded as an over-reaction, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Bit of a quandry the other day in the main Post Office, when the assistant passed over stamps and coins simultaneously with an ungloved hand. The realisation dawned on me that I then had to lick the stamps...and there were no water-rollers around :o Ah well, live dangerously, if I don't post any more you'll know what did it for me.

Another thought for the day: this 2m separation rule is all very well, but it rather depends which way the wind is blowing. If I stand 2m downwind from someone, on a breezy day it is certain I will breath in the breath, moisture and microbes they exhale. If I stand 1m away from someone and the wind is blowing sideways, I am pretty much safe.
We do the same as you described. As for being down wind, hence the reason for me wearing a mask all the time when outdoors.
All things are possible
jeba

Post by jeba »

Last edited by jeba on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:34 pm If you touch your face or your bag, keys etc which may already be contaminated if you have the virus without knowing or you touch a can of beans with your gloved hand which may be contaminated then you can spread it with your gloved hand.

Exactly. Therefore, wearing gloves is pointless. It may even increase the risk if you take them off the wrong way, touching the outside. Washing your hands and treating the surfaces of your shopping and stuff you or others touched (e. g. your wallet, keys etc.) are the way to go. Treating might mean e. g. throwing in soapy water, heating up in the oven or wiping down. Or simply leaving it in the car (parked in the sun to heat it up) for 3 days will also inactivate the virus. That´s what I do with cans, botttles etc. For biological surfaces (e. g. fruit, veggies) 1 day will be enough even at room temperature (at least according to Prof. Kekulé. head virologist of the University of Halle, Germany).
Those of you who have command of German might be interested in listening to a series of podcasts in which he´s interviewed: https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/podcast/ ... index.html. There is also another series of podcasts with Prof. Drosten, top virologist of the Charité (he developed the test for the virus and validated the test for antibodies which has recently become available and is 99% reliable - which the WHO doesn´t seem to have been aware of when they issued their latest warning): https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/info/Cor ... us134.html
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I find it hard when I am wearing the single-use gloves to open and close the little nylon bags while vegetable/fruits shopping. It takes endless and wasted time.
Better, but not perfect, for me are light garden gloves (polka dot gloves from Lidl) which I spray with 96% alcohol I am always carrying in the car, before and after using them. If you go without shopping at Lidl they tell you immediately to wear gloves!! What I personally find funny when people driving in their cars with the mask on and I am sure many people using them all the time without disinfect them.

Max
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Among my many allergies, I am quickly affected by the smell of cigarette smoke so on the rare occasions we do go out for a coffee or lunch I have to check which way the wind is blowing and then just hope the wind doesn't change direction. The staff are used to me taking some time choosing where to sit and have learnt not to bring the menu until I am seated and ask for it. Even that isn't guaranteed and between ordering a drink and it being served we probably have already moved. The pool area immediately below our apartment is a now no smoking area because due to the prevailing wind the smoke from an occasional smoker would come directly into the apartment and it is necessary to have the windows open all the time I am at home.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

https://scontent.fnic1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... C159B&dl=1

Not very au fait with uploading photos so hope people can see this graphic ''Probability of Contagion''
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Maybe you are laughing at me Max! I prefer to put my. Mask on at home, just before leaving. I then put my disposable gloves on. I think its even funnier to see people driving in with their mask hanging from their neck, or even around their chin. This is something which I have read negates the point of wearing one. The idea is to put the mask on covering ones nose and mouth, only touching it by the straps which pass behind the ear.
I am surprised that there is so much comment about how to wear one. Probably most if us have never worn one previously unless in the medical or nursing profession or perhaps working in a Lab.
The bottom line wether one wears a mask or not is down to personal choice!
Dee