Ryanair refunds

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
wilky

Ryanair refunds

Post by wilky »

Just got an email from Ryanair with vouchers instead of a refund which was to arrive 20 days after they cancelled the flight because of covid-19 anybody in the same boat?
71 Trans Am

Re: Ryanair refunds

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Lloyd
They are all at it - My neighbour was told by Jet 2 that his Holiday would be cancelled - He paid the deposit on his credit card and the balance of his Holiday was due to be taken from his Credit Card at midnight on a Saturday three weeks ago - He thought nothing of it as he had been told his holiday would be cancelled and assumed the payment would not be taken - However they took the balance and now he cannot get a refund - He cannot get through to Jet 2 because they have stopped taking calls and when he emailed them two weeks ago he has just had a reply suggesting that he should accept a short dated Holiday voucher which is valid against another holiday taken before September which he does not want and cannot get to speak with anyone.

Holidaymakers ‘have no idea if or when they’ll see their money again’

PA
Apr 21st 2020 8:16AM

The UK's biggest travel firms and airlines are breaking the law by delaying refunds for trips cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to a consumer group.
An investigation by Which? found that some companies are refusing to provide refunds in a breach of their legal obligations, while others are providing vouchers or credit notes "which may prove to be worthless" if holiday firms collapse.
It cited industry estimates that up to £7 billion in payments made by UK customers are affected.
Which? said it found that none of the country's 10 biggest holiday companies, including Tui and Jet2, are offering full refunds within the legal time frame, and some are refusing to provide refunds altogether.
It cannot be on consumers to prop up airlines and travel firms
Rory Boland, editor of magazine Which? Travel
Under EU law, travel companies must refund customers within 14 days if their package holiday is cancelled.
Which? also contacted the UK's 10 largest airlines – including British Airways and easyJet – and claimed that none are refunding passengers according to the law.
Under the EU's Denied Boarding Regulations, passengers are due a refund within seven days if a flight with an airline based in the UK or EU, or from an airport in the UK or EU, is cancelled.
Frustrated customers told Which? that carriers are making it almost impossible to contact them to find out if they will be refunded.
Richard Lartey, 27, from London, has been waiting more than a month for his money to be returned for a cancelled British Airways flight.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I booked two tickets with Easyjet to Luton yesterday for €99.00 return each and two hold baggage for 99cents a bag. The flights are in November but we thought it was worth a gamble. I'll leave the hire car and hotel till nearer the time but prepared to write off the cost of the flights if things don't improve.

JIM
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

My friend had booked a tour with Railbookers.co.uk, departing Edinburgh 29 May. They keep suggesting she choose a different date or take vouchers. They say that they are unable to refund (a substantial sum) as the contract is subject to 'Force Majuer' (Similar to Act of God). She has requested a full refund from Jet2 for her round trip to Edinburgh but has had no response from the company!
wilky

Post by wilky »

Which says do not take the vouchers as they are not guaranteed
outasite

Post by outasite »

We were booked on Jet2 to Prague, flight only for mid March. The hotel was thriugh Booking.com and was a pay on arrival, no fee if cancelled. We app,ied for and got a refund from Jet2 within a few days. I was also booked on a Ryanair to Dublin. Flight cancelled and I am in the queue for a refund. Meanwhile they have emailed a voucher number to use on a rebooking. I will quite probably use the voucher as I fully intend to go to Dublin as soon as I can.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Wizz air is taking its time giving refunds
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

In these times when even Major Airlines are in financial difficulties I don't understand why customers would prefer a voucher to having a refund .. The voucher will be worthless if the company are no longer flying
Trev..
boycott

Post by boycott »

Airlines and hotels etc. are very quick to take peoples monies and have good efficient systems to do so, so why are they so slow to refund monies when it is the law to do so?
Why not transfer some of the staff from the taking of monies office to the refunding monies office?
wilky

Post by wilky »

Just got a second email from Ryanair about the vouchers offered in the first email regarding cancelled flights if I don't use the vouchers with in one year they will send me a cash refund.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Always assuming they are still trading... Meanwhile they have your money but have not supplied the Flights
Trev..
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Had 2 flights cancelled by BA had no issue with refunds arrived back on credit card about a week after notification, didn't have to do anything so very good service.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I applied for a refund 3 weeks ago, then on Saturday I received an email with vouchers, which I declined. When I spoke on the live chat app I was told I would be placed in a queue for refunds. Today I received this email.Dear Customer,

I refer to your recent correspondence regarding your booking ******

I acknowledge that you do not wish to accept your refund in voucher format at this time and have requested to remain on the cash refund queue. Please note that until such time as you receive your cash refund, your voucher will remain valid and can be used to purchase flights and ancillaries for any future trip you might wish to plan. Please note that our refund processing has been negatively affected by the Covid19 crisis however we will process your refund as soon as possible.

Our priority remains the health and well-being of our people and customers and our communities. Thank you sincerely for your patience and support.

Yours sincerely,
Ryanair Customer Services.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:24 am In these times when even Major Airlines are in financial difficulties I don't understand why customers would prefer a voucher to having a refund .. The voucher will be worthless if the company are no longer flying
Problem is, if everybody takes refunds instead of vouchers, more and more airlines will collapse, and the remaining few will be more expensive to use.

We took a refund from BA because we were due to fly back for a wedding. The wedding may still go ahead, in a smaller scale, but we won't be there to see it. In our case, a voucher would be pointless. But if I wanted a holiday, it would be in my own interests to accept a voucher, as the airline is then more likely to still be in existence when it is all over. If everybody demands refunds though, the chances of the airlines collapsing is a lot higher, and then where would we all be?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Have used them once and never again. An appalling Company with an equally appalling CEO. If they do go under, I will be holding a party.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
josef k

Post by josef k »

As stated above, under EU law airlines have to provide refunds if requested. However, the UK is no longer in the EU.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

From today's Telegraph:
SCOOP: 12 EU countries due to ask @EU_Commission to temporarily suspend airline passenger rights to refunds when flights are cancelled due to #COVID19. A voucher would be issued instead.

France & Netherlands leading movement, basically what @airfrance and @KLM are doing now.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

We claimed refunds on airport car parking, car rental and EasyJet flights after they were cancelled and have been advised that we will be refunded within 28 days.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
wilky

Post by wilky »

I have made a claim on my credit card for the Refund from Ryanair taking advice from moneysavingexpert so let us see how that goes because I do not want vouchers which have no guarantee and will not be used by there expiry date.
J B

Post by J B »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:12 am Even the c/c companies and banks are trying to wriggle out of giving refunds. To allow them to get away with this will be the thin end of the wedge.
I'm sure that as a business owner you will know more than me about these things, but the agent who rents out our holiday let in N Wales uses 'World Pay' to handle all their payments.

It has been suggested that if the agent goes pop then WP will be jointly responsible for the client's monies.

Maybe that's why everyone is reluctant to give full refunds? :?
J B