Phillopos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
lotus

Phillopos

Post by lotus »

Hi all does anybody know if Phillipos in Peyia is open tomorrow and if so does he sell emulsion paint,probably will need a color that will have to be mixed in store,thanks
emgee

Re: Phillopos

Post by emgee »

Lotus

Is paint an essential item?

Stay home and save lives.

Alan
lotus

Post by lotus »

It is essential,but your right not worth the risk!
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Other supermarkets have been told they cannot sell products that 'closed' shops sell. So they should not be selling paint.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

This ‘essential’/“non-essential’ argument is splitting the UK. We have the TV Doctor, Hilary Jones telling us people shouldn’t be washing their cars in their drive.... poppycock. It’s Ok to cut you're grass, but not wash you're car?

DIY shops have stayed open, albeit for order pickup only, but essential repairs need to happen and to be honest, if someone is at home, doing a bit of painting is one way of staying sane!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I would like the lockdown to stay in place until there are NO registered deaths from COVID-19. Look at Australia
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

sadie62 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:35 am Jimgward

Totally Agree, I have not given my opinion on here as I know I would get a barrage of opposition, hence not worth the hassle .....I have absolutely abided by the rules, probably more than most - having been out literally only twice (and that was for essential food shopping) since lock-down - but I believe it's about time we got the economy going, don't necessarily mean allowing tourists in, more just domestic activity - 12 deaths (yes I know that's 12 too many, if we believe that there was no other cause other than covid19), but do we really want the cure to be worse than the cause.....can't be on my own for this opinion !!
I tend to agree that retail shops should be opening; can't see what the difference is between say Lidl and the Dulux shop or Home Market or even clothes shops for that matter. Maybe a little early for coffee shops and restaurants but we've got to start somewhere. Keep the procedures in place like social distancing and lockdown and even the curfew plus limited opening times.
Schools can open in September; I know my daughter won't be sending two of hers back any time soon anyway.

Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Reopening places too soon would be like selling bombs and ammunition to Hitler in 1943.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But who is to say, or decide what is too soon.. The mention of the Dulux shop, or other paint stores is a good example. What is the difference between those and Lidl ?
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's an easy one to answer: the government.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We have to start somewhere and yes there will be an element of risk but no more so than going to a kiosk or one of the big supermarkets or even stopping for fuel.
If the infection figures start to rise then we go back to square one.
There are a lot of people who need money desperately both employers and employees so something will have to be done soon.

Jim
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Tis recent article has a few suggestions regarding a gradual return to a normal life:

....the lockdown exit road map aims at a step by step approach to gradually restart the economy — always subject to the epidemiological situation.

Construction is seen as one of the sectors that are expected to resume first, thereby getting an important sector back to work and gradually easing the need for the state to provide allowances for workers.

Hairdresser salons and barbers are also said to be among the first.

A key question is the reopening of retail shops, starting with those that have a low number of shoppers before it is the turn of malls.

One idea being considered is to impose the same restrictions that currently apply in supermarkets with a maximum number of people per square metres.

There are questions also as regards gyms, catering establishments and cultural venues as well as cinemas and museums.

According to philenews, restaurants and cafes may be asked to have half the number of tables.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/step-by ... MzH9egc_a0
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I suppose we can all cite an example of a Low Risk business that could open early in the relaxation of rules..
One of mine would be dog grooming places.. Our dog is getting to the stage where he need his claws clipping. I used to take him to the grooming place and it was a 2 minute job for all his claws to be clipped.. I could certainly stay 2 mts from the groomer .... But at the moment they are closed
Trev..
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:43 pm I suppose we can all cite an example of a Low Risk business that could open early in the relaxation of rules..
One of mine would be dog grooming places.. Our dog is getting to the stage where he need his claws clipping. I used to take him to the grooming place and it was a 2 minute job for all his claws to be clipped.. I could certainly stay 2 mts from the groomer .... But at the moment they are closed
Can you walk him on the road rather than tracks? His claws will wear down naturally then.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The tracks that he goes for walks on five times a day, are rough concrete. But they still 'seem to me' to still need clipping
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Ah, the beauty of having shops and supermarkets that sell a mixture of everything..... The likes of ASDA selling food and DIY stuff as do Lidl and Aldi here in UK. Then we have B&M Bargains, Home Bargains and Poundland - all sell foodstuffs so are all open. And as long as the stores are open, they can sell whatever is on their shelves.
I'd forgotten about that system where you can only buy certain goods in specific places.
I recall how frustrating it was when we first arrived in Cyprus in 2004 that a shopping trip was never a simple matter.... We're back in UK just a few days off 4 years since we returned. I've always hated shopping but in times like this, it's a blessing to have my husband going out and doing the supermarket run.
I've been just once in 6 weeks.
I'm asthmatic so he prefers me not to go. If we go to our local Spar or Co-op, he goes in and I wait outside.

Painting is good though - it will keep you busy! If you have Facebook or any kind of local social media groups, ask on there if anyone has what you want.
We have all manner of trading going on in our village with people giving DIY bits and bobs away. It's left by arrangement at the end of the drive so it can be collected in line with social distancing.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I understand what you are saying trevnhil my dogs claws are getting very long and he is also now well overdue for a clip poor chap is starting to feel rather too warm with the warmer weather, I been thinking about a DIY 🥺
JimX

Post by JimX »

Phillipos will deliver paint to you, no need to go out of the house, Just call them..
Jim.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Thanks Jim but we're miles away,and I would still have to go there to pick the color ,it's crazy really supermarkets etc are open but not diy places,the amount of people going in and out of supermarkets would be far greater than a dig store
kansas

Post by kansas »

This may have changed but last Wednesday in Paps in Geriskipou the majority of non-essential items were roped off but lampshades, electric kettles and irons weren't.