TV recomendatioms

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Re: TV recomendatioms

Post by kansas »

Have just started watching Netflix Unbelievable - very good.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Just watched the first series of After Life..Brilliant.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Not a TV series but a movie with full on action and great filming, it is called ''Extraction'' it is showing on both of my units and it is a Netflix film.

Jim.
kansas

Post by kansas »

We're watching Unbelievable. Very good so far...
WHL

Post by WHL »

Reesy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:41 am Just watched the first series of After Life..Brilliant.
Started watching this , but the constant use of the C word, was too much for my wife, and myself to be honest, we are not Mary Whitehouse, by any means, but just dont like hearing this on the Tv.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

WHL wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:15 am
Reesy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:41 am Just watched the first series of After Life..Brilliant.
Started watching this , but the constant use of the C word, was too much for my wife, and myself to be honest, we are not Mary Whitehouse, by any means, but just dont like hearing this on the Tv.
I agree, I'm not bothered by the use of swear words other than the C word, and I’m no prude, so I won’t bother watching either!

Fauda brilliant
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just finished the first series of Fouda, Fantastic TV.
rambo

Post by rambo »

Gangs of London, not for the squeamish.

Paul.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just finished watching the last episode of Fauda, thank you to the people who recommended it, reallly enjoyed season one and two, not so much season three, it was just a bit too Rambo ish, but overall very enjoyable and look forward to the new season when it comes.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I must be the exception that proves the rule. I haven't analysed why but I have given up on watching fictional series, at least for the most part. I'm not a prude but I dislike excess sex or sex for sex's sake. Similarly I dislike violence and violence for violence's sake. I find that many of the series nowadays are simply not to my taste; I would rather watch "Dad's Army". Okay, I'm a silly mixed up kid because I've just watched a number of historical DVDs like "Cromwell", "Richard the third" and "Henry V", all of which are quite violent in places but the violence is not gratuitous, so much as an essential part of the story.

20 or 30 years ago, I did enjoy watching stupid series like "Starsky and Hutch", "Perry Mason" and others whose titles have faded into oblivion. None of these were, how can I say, 'dark', like the modern ones which leave me cold. But I couldn't watch those American series that I did so many years ago, today! I would think they were simply stupid – which they were! :-)

I guess that I'm just an old past-it geezer! :-(
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:11 am I must be the exception that proves the rule. I haven't analysed why but I have given up on watching fictional series, at least for the most part. I'm not a prude but I dislike excess sex or sex for sex's sake. Similarly I dislike violence and violence for violence's sake. I find that many of the series nowadays are simply not to my taste; I would rather watch "Dad's Army". Okay, I'm a silly mixed up kid because I've just watched a number of historical DVDs like "Cromwell", "Richard the third" and "Henry V", all of which are quite violent in places but the violence is not gratuitous, so much as an essential part of the story.

20 or 30 years ago, I did enjoy watching stupid series like "Starsky and Hutch", "Perry Mason" and others whose titles have faded into oblivion. None of these were, how can I say, 'dark', like the modern ones which leave me cold. But I couldn't watch those American series that I did so many years ago, today! I would think they were simply stupid – which they were! :-)

Don't know how to break it to you Devil
But Perry Mason finished 55years ago :shock:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:45 pm Don't know how to break it to you Devil
But Perry Mason finished 55years ago :shock:
Oh! :shock:

To change the subject slightly, but still keeping within the theme of TV recommendations (spelt correctly!), I'm going to make a very spirited recommendation of a program I watched last night, entitled Classic Comps. If you can get it on your TV system, believe me it is well worth the watch, no matter what kind of music you like. It was on BBC Four at 9 o'clock (15 May), Cyprus time and lasted one hour. Unlike many semi-classical programs each piece or excerpt was played in its entirety without any interruptions. Some of the pieces were very old and some were very modern, eclectic in its entirety. For anybody who likes almost any kind of music from Bach to Gershwin and later, there is definitely something for you to listen to.

Review
by Mark Braxton
With Les Dawson and Dudley Moore in the line-up, it's clear this clips comp isn't being too Radio 3. Mind you, Moore's "Colonel Bogey meets Beethoven" is one of the most ingenious - and exhausting - music parodies of all time. Virtuosity is the key word here, and if that means Les Dawson confidently, smilingly thudding out a tune containing few if any correct notes, so be it.

Joining Jacqueline du Pré, John Williams and Wynton Marsalis on the bill are flautist James Galway with a supersonic Flight of the Bumblebee and sitarist Ravi Shankar playing his hypnotic Raag Bihag. And if you've ever wondered what a kora sounds like, wonder no more.
Summary
Compilations of performances from the BBC archives, including Ravi Shankar's Raaf Bihag and Dudley Moore playing the Colonel Bogey March. Also featuring appearances by guitarist John Williams, cellist Jacqueline du Pre, trumpeter Wynton Marsalis and violinist Nigel Kennedy on programmes including Parkinson, Later with Jools Holland, The Les Dawson Show, Music at Night and Wogan.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I loved Afterlife, yes the language was a bit raw at times but I found the writing and acting brilliant. A show that makes you laugh, cry and really think.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Good news for Devil , Perry Mason is coming back , a new series .

Going to be about Perry’s early years .

Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Mrblobby wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:07 pm Good news for Devil , Perry Mason is coming back , a new series .

Going to be about Perry’s early years .
Thanks for the info, but I think I'll give it a miss. The trailer is enough to put me off! :-) :-) :-)
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Devil wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:11 am I must be the exception that proves the rule. I haven't analysed why but I have given up on watching fictional series, at least for the most part. I'm not a prude but I dislike excess sex or sex for sex's sake. Similarly I dislike violence and violence for violence's sake. I find that many of the series nowadays are simply not to my taste; I would rather watch "Dad's Army". Okay, I'm a silly mixed up kid because I've just watched a number of historical DVDs like "Cromwell", "Richard the third" and "Henry V", all of which are quite violent in places but the violence is not gratuitous, so much as an essential part of the story.

Very happy to say that I am in the same boat as you Devil. Same with my music. I love classics, ballads and easy listening.
All things are possible
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

WHL wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:25 pm Thanks for your recommendations, currently watching Fauda, very good.
I was going to give this a go, but I struggle with reading the subtitles whilst trying to watch what’s going on 🥴
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
WHL

Post by WHL »

Sadie wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:48 am
WHL wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:25 pm Thanks for your recommendations, currently watching Fauda, very good.
I was going to give this a go, but I struggle with reading the subtitles whilst trying to watch what’s going on 🥴
Are you watching on one that hasnt been dubbed?, the one we watched only had sub titles when they were talking in arabic.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

WHL wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:29 am
Sadie wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:48 am
Are you watching on one that hasnt been dubbed?, the one we watched only had sub titles when they were talking in arabic.
Probably, it looks like our only option on our tv package..might have to have a mess about to try and get the dubbed version..thank you 😊
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just watched the first episode of a quirky series "Dead Still ", looks promising.