Football Players - Just how far up their own bottoms can they get?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Football Players - Just how far up their own bottoms can they get?

Post by Dominic »

"They shouldn't get a pay cut, because it would mean less tax to fund the NHS."

But what about all the non-playing staff? Surely the money not paid to the footballers could pay the salaries of the non-playing staff, so they wouldn't have to receive money from the government?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52168692

The Professional Footballers' Association says proposals for a 30% pay cut for Premier League players would be "detrimental to our NHS".

The PFA also called on the league to increase its own £20m charity pledge.

The government has said it is "concerned" by what it called "infighting".

The league wants players to take a 30% salary cut in order to protect jobs, amid the coronavirus pandemic.

But the union says that equates to more than £500m in wage reductions, and a loss in tax contributions of more than £200m to the UK government.

The union also questioned Health Secretary Matt Hancock's public criticism of footballers' salaries during a news conference on Thursday.

"What effect does this loss of earning to the government mean for the NHS?" the statement read. "Was this considered in the Premier League proposal and did the Health Secretary factor this in when asking players to take a salary cut?"

Oliver Dowden, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport tweeted: "Concerned about the turn football talks have taken...People do not want to see infighting in our national sport at a time of crisis.

"Football must play its part to show that the sport understands the pressures its lower paid staff, communities and fans face."
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Football Players - Just how far up their own bottoms can they get?

Post by Devil »

The kind of money that the top football players receive is immoral. One of the best football players of all time was Stanley Matthews, yet his salary was modest, just a few pounds a week. Paying a ridiculous salary doesn't mean that a player can score more goals, at least if he takes the game seriously.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I think the money payed to top players is obscene, but no more obscene then what is payed to TV celebs, actors, and government top civil servants etc
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

As long as the fans turnup in their multitudes paying exorbitant money to watch them kick a bag of wind about then they will carry on gladly drawing their " obscene " "immoral " pay packets..Can you blame them,its called supply and demand..And be honest WOULD YOU?
memory man

Post by memory man »

I would suggest that some of the F1 drivers gave a donation.

eg Lewis Hamilton is worth about $500m

Lots of other top sports people, basketball players.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

I’ve got an idea. Why don’t they take the 30% pay cut but also agree to pay the same amount of tax as before.

Problem solved!
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

That’s total bull to put it politely I would imagine they all have management agents who looks after their finances and would have offshore investments companies and would pay no U.K. tax or minimal
They shouldn’t even get paid .........
memory man

Post by memory man »

Yioula wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:15 pm
They shouldn’t even get paid .........
Is that just football players or other sports people and entertainers who earn loadsa money??

Should they all do their jobs for free?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:46 pm I think the money payed to top players is obscene, but no more obscene then what is payed to TV celebs, actors, and government top civil servants etc
Actually, it is a lot more obscene if you look at the figures.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Interesting................................. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-12/ ... d/11201362
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 pm
WHL wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:46 pm I think the money payed to top players is obscene, but no more obscene then what is payed to TV celebs, actors, and government top civil servants etc
Actually, it is a lot more obscene if you look at the figures.
Take your point Dominic, what I was trying to get across was, the money payed out to these footballers/celebs compared to the ordinary joes,
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Provided they are given mortgage breaks, that's reasonable enough. You might want to run it past the doctors first though.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Tanny

You mean as with 'Post War Credits', during WW11 ?

People were promised that after the war, the money taken would be repaid to them, yes it was, when they were well into retirement, if they lived that long that is. I can well remember my Mum complaining bitterly that she had to wait for so many years for it's return. For those who didn't live long enough for it's repayment, presumably it was the Governments gain, I was not aware that it was an asset to leave in ones will.

Personally I don't think that £30.000 per annum is a particularly high salary either.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.