Unemployment Situation

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
bluesky

Unemployment Situation

Post by bluesky »

I have been without work for a year, my last company in the Middle east closed down and since then I have supported myself here in Cyprus, very frugally. I don't qualify for the usual unemployment benefit as work was outside of Cyprus. I got offered a new position in the Middle East in March (luckily as finances almost run out) and now because of Coronavirus the job offer was withdrawn, couldn't be worse timing. I wondered if anyone else was in a similar position and knew if there was any assistance for those of us 'stuck' in this situation. I've been trying to hang on in there and sit things out in the hope that maybe the virus will be contained and I can get my job back. I live alone, have no family to help me out and at this stage am wondering if to pay EAC/CYTA/Water or pay for food. I have also looked for work I can do online but haven't found anything as yet...still keeping up my usual job hunt.
I tried the new labour ministry number today but cannot get through at the present time... I have also tried the new coronovirus YEPKA website to try and find out more information but being in Greek only (translate doesn't make anything clearer...) it's hard to understand. I know these are horrid and difficult times for many of us without work or income and hoping the situation improves soon. If anyone has any information that might be helpful please post.
chatsworth

Re: Unemployment Situation

Post by chatsworth »

Cycleband are also looking for staff, call in I am fairly sure Philip will be able to find you a job. Not great pay but a job
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Just a follow up to Lloyd’s post, CYTA have suspended any disconnections for non-payment until 30th June and have doubled the mobile data if you have a mobile data package for April.

If you get to the stage of not having enough food - please do ask for help. This Facebook group Cyprus Helpers Covid-19 is offering great help and advice including food parcels and cooked meals. https://www.facebook.com/groups/214995156529838/

Best wishes to you.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

I’m not 100% certain, but social insurance money won’t be available to you...it’s very much a contributory scheme, if you’ve not paid social insurance contributions through your employment then you won’t be entitled to any benefits once you’re out of work.
Are you a UK citizen...you might be better trying to contact the Embassy and ask about a rescue flight back to the UK where benefits might be easier to apply and gain?
Good luck x
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
bluesky

Post by bluesky »

Thank you for your replies - I will look into everything and hope for the best. I am a bit limited at the moment as I don't have any transport and my immune system is low but eventually, I might find work in a supermarket on a bus route until I can leave the country. Hopefully I can get my job offer back once this is over. I'll keep looking for any work I can do online too as a temporary measure.

Yes, my previous employers in Cyprus never paid my social insurance which left me with a big nightmare. I've paid taxes/insurance in other countries where I have worked in the EU, but know I don't qualify for unemployment benefit here. That's why I have been supporting myself for the last year. I thought I read somewhere about some special 'emergency' assistance due to the virus, but maybe I don't qualify for that either, I'm still trying to find out...

I am a UK citizen but have nowhere to go if I went back - I've lived here for 15 years, so I'm not sure if that would be a option.

I work in aviation (safety) and I am hoping the industry will return soon once airspace opens up and lockdowns are over but this will take time. I can only hope!
bluesky

Post by bluesky »

Well, I was optimistic. Almost 6 weeks on since my post - no government assistance or help in any format. I've tried to get through by phone and no one answers. My emails were answered after 3 weeks and were of absolutely no help - either another phone line or suggesting I go to the office (which was closed and I don't have transport and am not willing to risk my health right now.) It's all very frustrating, I know that there must be a lot of people who need help at this time but I am exhausted by all this. A friend gave me money for food which I am truly grateful for, but I have had to prioritise basic food (1 meal a day) over paying bills - I am 3 months behind on electric/cyta and worried sick they will cut me off.
I tried to find online work - got accepted but there is no work available at the current time. As for working, no luck there either and now the buses have stopped almost completely - also my immune system is very low and I can't afford to get sick. (No gesy either) When I go out for supplies my anxiety levels are so high and I try not to have a panic attack. This is a truly horrible time and I sympathise with anyone feeling the same way. I am just venting my frustration as I am at wits end...
WHL

Post by WHL »

bluesky wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:36 pm Well, I was optimistic. Almost 6 weeks on since my post - no government assistance or help in any format. I've tried to get through by phone and no one answers. My emails were answered after 3 weeks and were of absolutely no help - either another phone line or suggesting I go to the office (which was closed and I don't have transport and am not willing to risk my health right now.) It's all very frustrating, I know that there must be a lot of people who need help at this time but I am exhausted by all this. A friend gave me money for food which I am truly grateful for, but I have had to prioritise basic food (1 meal a day) over paying bills - I am 3 months behind on electric/cyta and worried sick they will cut me off.
I tried to find online work - got accepted but there is no work available at the current time. As for working, no luck there either and now the buses have stopped almost completely - also my immune system is very low and I can't afford to get sick. (No gesy either) When I go out for supplies my anxiety levels are so high and I try not to have a panic attack. This is a truly horrible time and I sympathise with anyone feeling the same way. I am just venting my frustration as I am at wits end...
Sorry to hear this, as I'm sure there's others in the same situation, have you tried the British high commission, as they might have some ideas?
If the worse comes to the worse, you might think about returning to the UK, because of your financial situation and health issues, you would get accomodation and welfare support, unfortunately that's something you won't get here
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Hi Bluesky,
If you give us your mobile number, name and location we can drop some food of for you the next time we food shop, unfortunately we are currently only doing this on a 10 day basis with the virus etc and we live 25kms outside of Pafos, we went shopping on Thursday so we probably wont be going till the end of next week
Don't worry too much about the electricity yet, remember they will have your €200 deposit and when they do start proceedings it will be a few months after you receive your first red letter/bill before they do cut you off. As for the Mortgage, I seem to remember that people claimed they were mis-sold those Swiss Franc mortgages, not really sure what happened over that though someone else may know.
Good luck
David
chris&pam

Post by chris&pam »

Bluesky

Are you ex forces? If so have you thought of contacting SSAFA, The Forces Charity? Their Cyprus email is ssafacyprus@ssafa.org.uk
bluesky

Post by bluesky »

Thank you for all your ideas. I have just been hanging on... no government help available and bills not paid for the last 3 months, since Covid struck. Added to that, Alpha Bank has decided to issue a writ to try and repossess my home. The documents are in Greek so asked my neighbours to give me an idea of what it was. Does anyone know what I have to do? I am finding it a bit sickening that during covid and the harsh economic times, that now Alpha Bank wish to make me homeless. It's unbelievable.
WHL

Post by WHL »

bluesky wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:39 pm Thank you for all your ideas. I have just been hanging on... no government help available and bills not paid for the last 3 months, since Covid struck. Added to that, Alpha Bank has decided to issue a writ to try and repossess my home. The documents are in Greek so asked my neighbours to give me an idea of what it was. Does anyone know what I have to do? I am finding it a bit sickening that during covid and the harsh economic times, that now Alpha Bank wish to make me homeless. It's unbelievable.
Have you contacted the the BHC, or any expat organisations, ex forces organisations, have you phoned the bank to speak to someone?
bluesky

Post by bluesky »

I haven't contacted the BHC as yet as I don't think they'd be interested and there is no point in returning to UK as I don't have anywhere to go. I have followed news on the Cyprus Helpers page for support but have avoided contacting them as some people need food more than I do, when my friend helped me out, I made sure I had food basics over paying the bills. I am not ex-forces so do not qualify there. I haven't called the bank as they are just impossible and have been constantly hassling me when they know I have no income and they refuse to negotiate. I told them I would start paying again when I have work as I always do but Covid knocked that on the head. I have asked a lawyer for advice as obviously I can't hire one, but am still waiting to hear back on that. I am desperately looking for work abroad again and hoping flights start soon... It seems I have 9 days before it goes to court but that's all I know at the current time, I don't know how it works.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Try www.jobs.justlanded.com or generally jobs in paphos.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Foreclosures are suspended up to 18th June so I do not understand why that is happening. The announcement in English said:

The members of the Association of Cyprus Banks (“ACB”) announced on the 18th of March 2020 that all foreclosure procedures will be suspended for a period of three months, up to the 18th June 2020.

This decision comes after the very serious effects that the COVID-19 virus has had to the Cyprus economy and society. The ACB stated that the banks, being aware of the difficult situation that the country finds itself, will do whatever they can to support the economy, businesses, households and society in general.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
emgee

Post by emgee »

Uuuum.

Has anyone actually met bluesky? He doesn't say where he lives and gives up easily.

Alan
bluesky

Post by bluesky »

Thanks Jeanne, that is useful information, I had not seen it - but this has come out of the blue...

Emgee, That's just rude and making assumptions... and I am a young single female having a tough time just asking for suggestions. I probably have not met anyone here as although I have lived here 15 years as due to my job I work abroad. I live in Paphos and as for giving up, you don't know me (I've been through more than most in my life) and have been forced into this dreadful situation that I have little control over - I hope you never find yourself in this situation. I do not have to justify myself to you!

Thank you to those of you who posted positive suggestions and info.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Not related to Donald Trump are you emgee ?
emgee

Post by emgee »

Austin 7

What does it say?

Alan
WHL

Post by WHL »

Bluesky, here is a link you might want to check out, there are other Cyprus employment sites on google, with varied jobs, failing that, the best course of action, is to get out there and knock on doors, a young lady friend of ours has a teaching degree and couldn't find work, so she has just found work with a bakery chain, it isnt for ever, but it will pay her bills until something better turns up, good luck

https://www.ergodotisi.com/en/