Would you expect this building is in Cyprus?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Would you expect this building is in Cyprus?

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Quite impressive I think is this modern building - and it is in Cyprus!! Nice photovoltaic installation as well....

Max
mike strand2

Re: Would you expect this building is in Cyprus?

Post by mike strand2 »

Stylish certainly, but....As an ex architect, personally I think it is inappropriate for the location. It puts many adjoining buildings in complete darkness. It also has far too much glass for Cyprus! Just look at all the internal blinds needed, with the obvious increase in air con required. As for space around the building for fire service access; where is it?.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Wonderfull views for the locals who live nearby, when ow have restricted views and much reduced sunlight around their properties.
Bloody eyesore pull it down.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Absolutely hideous in its present location. It looks far too big for the size of its plot. I agree with what others have said. Who on earth gave planning and building permission for such a monstrosity to be built? I guess another case of brown envelopes being offered.

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Ive passed it several times; it is in the area near immigration. A bit overwhelming.

Jim
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

It’s a very selfish building it’s take the light away from 3 building or more, it’s certainly very modern in design but not what one would expect on such a small plot or in Cyprus in and amongst other buildings 🙁
darrow

Post by darrow »

Well, I like it! It does appear to cast a large shadow over neighbouring buildings which says it is in the wrong place. I should imagine fire services get in the same as everyone else and the external staircase is very asthetic! I would say it is very eco friendly and probably doesn't even have air conditioning as we know it! The windows are probably triple glazed and darken in the sun. I was looking at an award winning eco home in U.K. It had underground sourced heat, triple glazing and air re -circulated twice an hour. . All photovoltaic water and grey water for the toilets. It reputedly cost £7 a week to run. I am all for progress!
JimX

Post by JimX »

I remember several years ago I watched the new Tala church being built, then and now I felt a small village of that size did not need such a huge building, but there it is, this building being talked about is again too big for it's surroundings, it looks fine but just the dark finish is not in keeping with the older aspects of the city, not sure how this gets passed for the build by the city planners?, it is far too large for that area, I believe in modern new builds but keep this in perspective to those around it.
Attachments
2 (600 x 367).jpg
2 (600 x 367).jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (7 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
Jim.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Well, I like it! It does appear to cast a large shadow over neighbouring buildings which says it is in the wrong place. I should imagine fire services get in the same as everyone else and the external staircase is very aesthetic! I would say it is very eco friendly and probably doesn't even have air conditioning as we know it! The windows are probably triple glazed and darken in the sun. I was looking at an award winning eco home in U.K. It had underground sourced heat, triple glazing and air re -circulated twice an hour. . All photovoltaic water and grey water for the toilets. It reputedly cost £7 a week to run. I am all for progress!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC -

wonder if you walk around with rose coloured spectacles.... or just close your eyes!,
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Definitely not in keeping with its surroundings.
Maybe it is indeed a marvellous building with all sorts of modern equipment, but in my opinion it is seriously out of place there.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

There was a proposal recently to construct a similar building near Paps in Pano Paphos.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

If that were to happen it would be even more out of place. Is there a need to turn Paphos into another high rise town?

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:03 pm Absolutely hideous in its present location. It looks far too big for the size of its plot. I agree with what others have said. Who on earth gave planning and building permission for such a monstrosity to be built? I guess another case of brown envelopes being offered.

Dee
For your sake, I hope the owners or people who build this building, don't read this, or for that matter no one grasses you up, because if they sue you, for posting stuff like this on a public forum, you had better have some savings put aside, because posting things like this could cost you dear.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

darrow wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:15 am Well, I like it! It does appear to cast a large shadow over neighbouring buildings which says it is in the wrong place. I should imagine fire services get in the same as everyone else and the external staircase is very aesthetic! I would say it is very eco friendly and probably doesn't even have air conditioning as we know it! The windows are probably triple glazed and darken in the sun. I was looking at an award winning eco home in U.K. It had underground sourced heat, triple glazing and air re -circulated twice an hour. . All photovoltaic water and grey water for the toilets. It reputedly cost £7 a week to run. I am all for progress!
More info on this link. It was the first A-class energy efficient building in Cyprus at the time. Perhaps some of the neighbours realized that the shade reduced a lot of heat on their houses in hot summer when the temps there are many weeks >40c. Sure Cyprus was very happy to find such a potent investor from Belarus (Wargaming) in their capital, which are also major shareholders in Hellenic bank, by the way...

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/12/17/warg ... on-cyprus/

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The picture in the link looks much better and the illustration showed it built on a much more spacious plot with some landscaping. It was also a different external colour. What’s been built is crammed on a tiny plot which is a shame.

Dee