what is considered an acceptable distance to travel

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: what is considered an acceptable distance to travel

Post by Devil »

I went to Larnaca, 27 km each way, this morning, two police controls about 5 km apart. Absolutely no problem using the printed form in either case.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jamboal wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:52 pm Just read this;
Pet owners can leave their home with their pets without SMS permission provided they stay close by, Animal Party Cyprus said on Tuesday.

In an announcement, the party said that it had contacted the Agriculture Ministry on the issue after new rules came into force at 6 am which restrict the right to exit the house to one permit a day.

Exceptions were later given, including going to the doctor or pharmacy, but no reference was made to pets, to the dismay of dog owners.

The party said that pet owners can take their pet out for a walk or for their toilet needs without having to send an SMS provided they remain close and around their house.

This is not restricted to one time a day, it added.

Pet owners must carry their ID with them.
Sorry to be a pain but do you have a link for this, I can then share on my FB account etc for all the dog owners. Thanks!
memory man

Post by memory man »

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Thank you MM!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that its unreasonable to not allow dog owners out more than once a day, particularly, if like many people I know, they are living by themselves and are owners of a dog. How are these people supposed to manage particularly if they don’t have their own gardens?
I guess that these people will probably have to do what is necessary.Fortunately, there are many places off road.

Sadie, As you know Chloraka isn’t far from Peyia, are you thinking of Paps there?
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 pm I think that its unreasonable to not allow dog owners out more than once a day, particularly, if like many people I know, they are living by themselves and are owners of a dog. How are these people supposed to manage particularly if they don’t have their own gardens?
I guess that these people will probably have to do what is necessary.Fortunately, there are many places off road.

Sadie, As you know Chloraka isn’t far from Peyia, are you thinking of Paps there?
Dee
Dog walkers are now allowed out a number of times a day, in their locality
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

sadie62 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:10 pm No actually I was thinking of the main Paphos one. I shop in Paps and what was Carroeufours
Sklavenitis
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:13 pm
Kili01 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 pm I think that its unreasonable to not allow dog owners out more than once a day, particularly, if like many people I know, they are living by themselves and are owners of a dog. How are these people supposed to manage particularly if they don’t have their own gardens?

Dee
Dog walkers are now allowed out a number of times a day, in their locality
The Greek version says you have to be adjacent to your property according to my Son in Law. We have people walking past our place with their dogs and apart from one other property we are 500 metres from the nearest other house. My SIL takes a utility bill with him when he walks his dogs.

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We too are 500 mts from the nearest house. But we never get quite that far on our dog walks..
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Unfortunately, our rescue pooch died two years ago (we still miss him) but we would have loved to have been able to continue walking him. You may wonder why we have not rescued another one but we are both well into our 80s, not nearly so mobile, and not wishing to traumatise an animal by our own deaths.
cactus

Post by cactus »

Andrew Oliver posted very helpfully yesterday on this subject. His wife made enquiries and it seems you may walk your dogs within a 200 metre radius of your home. So pretty much round the block. Not perfect but hey! the closer we stick to the rules the sooner we can all get back to normal.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Oh dear... we go a maximum of 500 mts .. We never meet anyone though as we are isolated with fields all around .
Trev..
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

I think restricting the distance travelled is to reduce the spread geographically.

Should you be a carrier then it is better to travel locally and infect locally because that is one outbreak. If you travel further then there will be a second location which could also be the centre of an outbreak.

The fact that you do not like one supermarket as opposed to another that is further away is not in the best interest of the majority.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The more you (or anyone) can stay away form other people the better... My wife has not been away from the area of our house for 3 weeks.. So that is good isolation.. I have been out 3 times for shopping and once (today) to the dentist..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is a very valid thought and yes you could use a form more than once a day... Likewise if you are over the age limit and you get refused by SMS, again you could use the form .
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:29 pm The more you (or anyone) can stay away form other people the better... My wife has not been away from the area of our house for 3 weeks.. So that is good isolation.. I have been out 3 times for shopping and once (today) to the dentist..
I´d think very hard about going to the dentist. Their drilling and polishing is producing exactly that kind of aerosol that will contaminate quite some area if the patient is carrying the virus. Just out of curiosity: did the dentist wear a FFP2 (or 3) mask and protective glasses?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I didn't have much option re going to the dentist.. I had part of a tooth broken off leaving a sharp edge scouring my cheek.. All precautions were taken as usual in the dentist. I paid by card which didn't touch the machine and I had disposable gloves on which I got rid of before leaving the premises. When I got to my car I used alcoholic gel on my hands..

The dentist just wore gloves and a mask
Trev..