Waiting for the sun to come back....

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Waiting for the sun to come back....

Post by cyprusmax47 »

It would be nice to have our Cyprus Sun back soon.....
Suetal

Re: Waiting for the sun to come back....

Post by Suetal »

Hope it's back by next week as I am coming over for 10 days! Will enjoy it all just the same with or without it!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Those reservoirs are still pretty low...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That is a useful page, thanks. I will add a link to it on the blog I did about the reservoir.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

It's supposed to be getting a bit milder this week, so hopefully there's some sun on the way.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Water flow increasing, but levels still low

January 3rd, 2017 Evie Andreou Cyprus, featured 1 Comment
Water flow increasing, but levels still low

Small reservoirs like Argaka in Paphos are expected to overflow

The flow of water into the reservoirs is still at 21per cent of their overall capacity, but is gradually increasing, acting director of the water development department Andreas Manoli said on Monday.

According to Manoli, over the last three days around 4.2mn cubic metres of water flowed into the island’s reservoirs.

“If this flow continues, in a few weeks we will be in a position to say that the (water) reservoirs have increased,” Manoli said.

He added however, that taking into consideration that the overall reservoir capacity is at 300mn cubic metres, the current flow, at 61,823mn cubic metres which translates to 21.3per cent, is still very low.

“The water level is still very low but we are at only the beginning of winter,” Manoli said. He added that water reservoirs will rise after the snow melts.

Commenting on the overflow of some of the reservoirs, he said, that Kalopanayiotis dam is a very small one and it overflows each year, even during droughts. Other reservoirs that are also small in size like those in Argaka and Pomos are also expected to overflow, he said.

“The bigger dams however, like those of Kouris, Asprokremmos, Lefkara and Kalavasos, to overflow, another good rainy season must come first, and last year there was a big drought,” Manoli said.
emgee

Post by emgee »

We didn't have no rain today in Pegeia.

Alan
keving

Post by keving »

Any rain.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Happy in Cyprus,

I remember your photo's of the vans and the crowds going to see the the dam overflowing.

Once when it was snowing Peyia I was in the village vegetable shop. All the staff went outside to watch the snow coming down. It made me smile that day.
Happy to be back on the Island!
cypruswannabee

Post by cypruswannabee »

We were in Cyprus the week before Christmas,(Paphos) weather being very unsettled & chillier than we expected! Local feed back was colder & wetter than normal!! Glad to hear the sun is back out again!! hope it will be a lot warmer when we come back out at the end of April!!!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Have just checked the Govt reservoir storage table, as of today the water level at the Asprokremnos Dam is given as 36.1% full. So still a long way to go to fill up. This time last year the same dam was 66% full.

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Kouris, July 2020

Post by Devil »

Went up to Kouris dam yesterday. Literally, my car was the only one in sight, nor did I see any hikers. Usually, at this time of year, there are several cars and even buses around the dam. Judging from this, tourism is a dead duck, just now.

As a guess, the level of the dam is about 1 m 50 below the overflow limit, which is still very good for the time of year.

Did not take my camera with me, so photos are unedited, untrimmed phone efforts. Sorry!
IMG_20200707_164451_4[98].jpg
IMG_20200707_164451_4[98].jpg (106.58 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
IMG_20200707_164025[97].jpg
IMG_20200707_164025[97].jpg (93.39 KiB) Viewed 3237 times