Will this work.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

Will this work.

Post by Paul »

About 30 years ago I had a bad cold which dropped on to my chest.
So I went to a sauna and stopped in the heat for 45 minutes with lots of water on the stones and I got very hot.
My thinking was breathing all the hot air would kill the infection off.
The next day the cold and bad chest was gone!
So will this work on the Coronavirus !
Paul
LouiseCastricum

Re: Will this work.

Post by LouiseCastricum »

No I don't think it will work. I don't think 45 minutes in a one hundred degree C environment will do you very good with very high fever and serious breathing and lung problems.
Louise :)
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Austin 7 – Was there any need for such a vicious response ?

Yale researchers have pinpointed a key reason why people are more likely to get sick and even die from flu during winter months: low humidity.
While experts know that cold temperatures and low humidity promote transmission of the flu virus, less is understood about the effect of decreased humidity on the immune system's defenses against flu infection.
The Yale research team, led by Akiko Iwasaki, the Waldemar Von Zedtwitz Professor of Immunobiology, explored the question using mice genetically modified to resist viral infection as humans do. The mice were all housed in chambers at the same temperature, but with either low or normal humidity. They were then exposed to the influenza A virus.
The researchers found that low humidity hindered the immune response of the animals in three ways. It prevented cilia, which are hair-like structures in airways cells, from removing viral particles and mucus. It also reduced the ability of airway cells to repair damage caused by the virus in the lungs. The third mechanism involved interferons, or signaling proteins released by virus-infected cells to alert neighboring cells to the viral threat. In the low-humidity environment, this innate immune defense system failed.
The study offers insight into why the flu is more prevalent when the air is dry. "It's well known that where humidity drops, a spike in flu incidence and mortality occurs. If our findings in mice hold up in humans, our study provides a possible mechanism underlying this seasonal nature of flu disease," said Iwasaki.
While the researchers emphasized that humidity is not the only factor in flu outbreaks, it is an important one that should be considered during the winter season. Increasing water vapor in the air with humidifiers at home, school, work, and even hospital environments is a potential strategy to reduce flu symptoms and speed recovery, they said.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

71 Trans Am wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:04 pm Austin 7 – Was there any need for such a vicious response ?

Yale researchers have pinpointed a key reason why people are more likely to get sick and even die from flu during winter months: low humidity.
... they said.
1. I do not think that the response by Austin 7 was in any way vicious. Aren't you being a little bit too sensitive?
2. Whereas we have no choice but self treatment, I feel that promoting "cures" that may or may not work for other diseases, may be rather dangerous when applied to the unknown disease.
boycott

Post by boycott »

On the news at lunchtime there was a piece about myth busters, one of them been washing in cows urine!

It was suggested that it wouldn't work but I bet some people will try it.
They also said that vodka (washing hands in it) will not work as not enough alcohol in it, think drinking it is OK though.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The respsonse was at worst a bit pithy. It was certainly not vicious.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Paul

Post by Paul »

The reason for going in the sauna was to get very hot air in my respiratory system, with the aim of killing of the infection in my nose and chest.
Any infection that came out of me was killed in the high heat of the sauna.
I did not have serious breathing or lung problems.
Just a blocked nose and a chough.
As I said the next day I was fine and back to good health, I could not believe the change myself at first but it was all gone.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Drinking hot liquids, every 20 minutes - even a mouthful - is reckoned to work nay washing any virus in the mouth and throat into the stomach where the acids will kill it - before it gets into the chest - when it's too late to do anything other than ride it out...
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Since childhood, my mother and later a matron at school both believed in the efficacy of the ‘inhailerr’. It is done by pouring boiling water into a meduim size bowl to which is added eucalyptus oil and some friars balsam. The idea is the patient who has a heavy winter cold or flu, leans over the bowl of steaming liquid and breathes in and expells some of the mucous in the nose and throat.A towel is placed over the patients head helping to create a damp hot and steamy sauna atmosphere. It is a simple and well tested home remedy. Which really works and is very soothing.
Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Such remedies may soothe the symptoms of a cold or similar, but there is no way that they can cure an infection. In the case of the coronavirus, they may do more harm than good by hiding the early symptoms which would otherwise drive you to get medical aid.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Where we live we have had very low humidity for the past two weeks, and we have both suffered from irritating coughs throughout the day and night. The humidity levels have now risen, the coughs have gone and we feel much more comfortable. Neither of us suffer from chest ailments. However, we're not suggesting in any way that it's any sort of cure for colds or flu but it does reduce some of the irritating symptoms when humidity levels are at a reasonable level. When we have heavy colds we also do what Dee mentioned above. Might not get rid of a cold or flu but clears the airways and makes breathing a lot easier, particularly at night.