Stand and fight this Virus together

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

Re: Stand and fight this Virus together

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Yioula ---- Don’t be so hasty to criticise the actions of the public in the UK it could still happen in Cyprus yet – Human Nature is a strange thing.

I spoke with a friend who has a bar in Paphos yesterday and although they are closed and currently have stock he is very concerned that some of his suppliers will not be able to supply in the very near future due to global lockdown situations – I am in the UK at present and ventured out late today after Boris declared that every Pub, Hotel, Gym , etc had to close, --To my local huge meat supplier who also sells Veg, Fruit and Frozen Produce and I was amazed to find that there was absolutely nothing on the shelves or in the freezers and he said his overseas deliveries had come to a standstill – and his UK suppliers were not getting his orders out at all – We are constantly being told that there is no shortage of food and essential supplies but all of the major supermarkets shelves are empty, The logistics and transport systems can obviously not cope with the current situation. You are on an island and I would think that a lot of your produce comes from overseas unless it is fresh grown – And at the moment all European countries are having difficulties keeping their own shelves stocked – So how lucky you are to have no panic buying --- Yet
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

emgee wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:41 pm The D of E is at Windsor living in ABSOLUTE luxury, not in a 1 bed flat on the 20th floor of a skyscraper.

Sorry, Ma'am, but your place is at Buck House.

Remember Diana and what your non-involvement did to the Monarchy, it almost destroyed it.

Alan
Alan, Can I suggest you are out of alignment at the moment with the regulars on here and that you should perhaps consider just keeping your disparaging remarks about the Royals to yourself.

Mike
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:53 am
emgee wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:41 pm The D of E is at Windsor living in ABSOLUTE luxury, not in a 1 bed flat on the 20th floor of a skyscraper.

Remember Diana and what your non-involvement did to the Monarchy, it almost destroyed it.

Alan
Alan, Can I suggest you are out of alignment at the moment with the regulars on here and that you should perhaps consider just keeping your disparaging remarks about the Royals to yourself.

Mike
So by your logic, if your not a regular, you shouldnt post, I for one welcome all views on here, whether I agree with them or not, thats what forums are for, to give people a platform to speak,they are not just for self agreeing cliques
emgee

Post by emgee »

Totally agree with WHL.

The Royals have taken the Taxpayers shilling for so long, now it's pay-back time.

She is our well-respected leader, time to do some leading.

Alan
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You can't lead if you are dead.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

In British government, the monarch has no real decision-making power whatsoever and although technically almost every part of British governance, from diplomacy to justice, is done in the name of the crown, the monarch’s role is entirely symbolic.

In practice, the Queen has absolutely no power. The power of the British monarchy is pure fiction, and everybody involved acknowledges that. The monarch acts only on the advice of the government and remains studiously politically neutral.

Yes, she is a figurehead and someone to look up to, but to expect her to 'do some leading' is not in her remit.

She will speak out when the time is right and when she does it will be with compassion, appreciating what her fellow countrymen and women are experiencing at this unprecedented time.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

mike strand2 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:53 am

Alan

Mike
Not at all. Within reason, people can post differing views. Besides, given the capacity for this forum to argue amongst itself (tides, chip friers, weather accuracy, Brexit, etc etc etc) it would be a very quiet place if only consenting voices were allowed.

I disagree strongly with Alan's post, but there it stands. I showed my disagreement in my own post. That's how it works.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

What people forget is that the Royal family are just ordinary people the same as you and me. I personally think that the Queen does a fantastic but very difficult job, especially appearing to be totally neutral to both opinions and the people around her, especially politicians whom she might find to have a totally different view, but unable to express herself.

I agree that she is just a figurehead with absolutely no power whatsoever to really reign as queen. What many forget Is that she is a human being and not a demigod.

She is a fantastic person, still being able to work, usefully work, at 93. Think, if you live to 93, will you be working or will you be retired, looking at stupid posts in forums such as this or will you just be twiddling your thumbs?
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

After months of begging her father to let his heir pitch in, Elizabeth—then an 18-year-old princess—joined the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service during World War II. Known as Second Subaltern Elizabeth Windsor, she donned a pair of coveralls and trained in London as a mechanic and military truck driver

Queen Elizabeth II issued a statement on Thursday with a reminder of the “vitally important part” every person plays in slowing the spread of COVID-19.
“As (Prince) Philip and I arrive at Windsor today, (only a week earlier than planned, for the Easter holidays) we know that many individuals and families, across the United Kingdom and around the world, are entering a period of great concern and uncertainty,”
As more people around the world enter self-isolation, changing normal routines and regular patterns of life is for the “greater good of the communities we live in and, in particular, to protect the most vulnerable within them,” said the Queen.
The Queen concluded her statement with a message of hope.
“Many of us will need to find new ways of staying in touch with each other and making sure that loved ones are safe,” she said. “I am certain we are up to that challenge. You can be assured that my family and I stand ready to play our part.”

‘Everyone’ was requested to ‘isolate and stay at home’…. Windsor IS her home
Buckingham Palace is ‘the office’... her workplace!!
What we are
What we have been
What we intend to be
is shown more in the Patience we exhibit than through any other virtue
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Her Majesty has always gone to her Home-Windsor at this time of the year.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Now that Liz and her cronies are safely tucked up in Windsor castle, and Buckingham Palace is empty, why not use its severn hundred rooms to house and isolate some of the thousands of virus carriers. , its costing a fortune to tax payers standing empty, time to put it to some useful purpose.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Perhaps the UK will follow Cyprus' example and use hotels to accommodate the sick or even the homeless?

Not seen anything about help for the homeless in the UK, just about food banks now being affected due to lack of donations.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Maybe all second homes should be requestioned and allocated to the homeless.
The end....is nigh.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

In the Dutch press it said that there was a Corona victim at Buckingham Palace and that therefor the Queen was forced to move to Windsor a bit earlier.
Louise :)
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

galexinda wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:44 am Perhaps the UK will follow Cyprus' example and use hotels to accommodate the sick or even the homeless?

Not seen anything about help for the homeless in the UK, just about food banks now being affected due to lack of donations.
I saw a report that some empty school gyms were used for homeless people to sleep in.Matresses provided. Sorry I cannot recall where i saw it. probably the mail on line a few days ago.
All things are possible
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Don’t usually read the Daily Mail but I was sent this. In my opinion an interesting and thought provoking article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... nswer.html
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I missed the bit where Peter Hitchens listed his medical qualifications.
boycott

Post by boycott »

The trouble is for every expert(s)/scientist(s) there is another expert(s)/scientist(s) that will have convincing evidence to the contrary of the others.
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

All the Brexit (remember that) 'experts' are now Covid 19 'experts' :)
What we are
What we have been
What we intend to be
is shown more in the Patience we exhibit than through any other virtue
emgee

Post by emgee »

I read today that Prince William is to take on the mantra of the Queen during this crisis. Good luck.

Alan