Danger of coronavirus - 11500

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Danger of coronavirus

Post by WHL »

Boris could use the hundreds of millions saved from being out of the EU, for the HHS, don't panic folks, Boris is driving the bus.
lionelcyprus

Post by lionelcyprus »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:57 pm The UK, along with the US, have taken Political decisions on Covid19 - rather than Medical. We are more interested in Economic impact, than medical and moral impact.!
Forgive me, Jim, returning to your excellent post of a couple of days' ago. Reading in the American press this morning, a couple of headlines grabbed my eye :

U.K. Abandons Effort to Contain Virus as 10,000 May Be Infected
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -the-worst

U.K. Shields Its Economy From the Virus, but Not Yet Its People
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/worl ... virus.html
The government is spending $38 billion to mitigate the effects of the coronavirus outbreak, but so far has ruled out aggressive measures to fight it.

Unfortunately you need to subscribe to read the NYT article. But the headlines simply reinforce what you wrote. A foreign perspective is often needed to see the reality of the situatiion.
Dominus illuminatio mea
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm We have a suspected case of Covid19 in our house. The stepson is now in isolation as per UK Government health advice. It should not effect him too badly as he spends his life, outside of work, in his room.

It started with a raised temperature yesterday and this morning it morphed into a dry cough.
Any news?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

My stepson, who is 23, has the virus. The symptoms, such as they are, lasted for two days. Firstly there was a raised temperature for a few hours followed by a dry cough and throat. That has now gone and he feels perfectly fine but will continue to isolate himself for the rest of the 7 days.

I agree that the virus is far more lethal when presenting in the elderly or people with underlying conditions. This would explain why Italy has suffered greatly due to its ageing population. The simple truth , in my opinion, is that the world is scared of the speed of transmission which is understandable as it is a new virus. However, the sheer panic written in the media and the predictions of an apocalyptic result are basically feeding into the whole scenario. I agree that the agenda for that is more likely to be the need to slow the markets down.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
galexinda

Elderly Paphos Expats

Post by galexinda »

As this is just a general article I have posted it in this thread:

As the numbers of confirmed coronavirus cases increase in Cyprus daily, Paphos’ largely elderly expat community have two main concerns: they are among the most vulnerable and yet they also travel more than most.

A local official told the Sunday Mail that she is aware of a number of British expats that have travelled to the UK then on to northern Italy, holidayed there and returned to the UK and then back to Cyprus.

“It’s worrying, they had no idea of the need to self-isolate on their return and this would probably not have been picked up at the time by immigration, as their flight would have come in from the UK,” Cathi Delaney, a Tala councillor said.

As there is an ageing expat population in the area, residents are concerned about the Covid-19 outbreak, as many either have an underlying medical complaint or live with or care for someone with an underlying or existing medical complaint, she said.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/03/15/coro ... 1Oioq-1jHs
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

This seems to be pretty strict and I see that there are more details yet to be released.
I would imagine that more airlines will cease to bring people here
Trev..
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Mrblobby wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:47 pm Latest from government.

https://in-cyprus.com/corovnavirus-cabi ... t4KqMLfzh8
I wish people would not just post links to In-Cyprus. That website does not follow the rules. You can click 'accept' in which case they collect your data, or 'decline' by which you cannot then read the posting!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sorry to break this to you but doing that is the same as just agreeing. Those pop up questions about cookies are bolted on to the top of sites. No other part of the site actually looks at them, so any data harvesting will be operational because the assumption is by that time you must have agreed.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

In the bottom-right of the In-Cyprus website, there is a button called "Privacy". Clicking on that will give you the option to reject all cookies.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hey, it's not just Brits embarrasing the nation (in Benidorm), the Yanks are at it too.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... d=84575151
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My Son in Law's Grandfather died in intensive care on Friday night at Paphos General. Because the family of the patient in the next bed who flew in from the UK to see him were found to be positive with C19 the SIL's family cannot hold a funeral or attend the burial. Only the Ya Ya can attend even though it was never confirmed he had C19. As you can imagine the whole family is devastated.
Terrible times.
Jim
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Sorry to hear this.
All things are possible
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Sorry to hear that Jim, its terrible news and must be devastating for the family that they can’t even give him a proper send off at the present time.

It just goes to prove that people should not be flippant with this virus and listen to the medical experts,
memory man

Post by memory man »

Condolences Jim :(
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

So said to hear this. So sorry for the family. Condolences.
Louise :)
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

When it affects a family in a personal way, it really does drive home the messages; keep your distance, wash your hands, but preferably stay at home!
My condolences Jim.
Mike
JimX

Post by JimX »

All our condolences Jim...
Jim.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I passed on your kind words to my Son in Law and daughter last night. Not being able to say farewell to the patriarch of the family has affected them all very much as they are a typical close knit Cypriot family.
Everybody, stay safe.

Jim
emgee

Re: Coronavirus Update (Live)

Post by emgee »

This is one of the reasons we live in wonderful Pegeia.

Alan