Charles and Camilla to visit Cyprus next month

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Charles and Camilla to visit Cyprus next month

Post by Paphos Life »

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will undertake an official visit to Cyprus from Wednesday March 18 to Saturday March 21, it was announced on Tuesday by the British High Commission (BHC)....

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: Charles and Camilla to visit Cyprus next month

Post by WHL »

Whoopi
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

We will be out there at the same , the big difference is that we will be paying for our trip , their jolly is just that and not out of their pockets
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

That is great news. It will be good for the future King to visit. UK and Cyprus have a very strong bond and this will help bolster that feeling. :D
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Bully for them! Guess who couldn't care less?
josef k

Post by josef k »

A waste of public money, both in the UK and Cyprus. The visit is to mark the anniversary of independence from Britain but I note the Turkish Cypriots will be ignored as usual. I seem to recall that the whole of Cyprus gained independence from Britain, not just the south.
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:51 pm A waste of public money, both in the UK and Cyprus. The visit is to mark the anniversary of independence from Britain but I note the Turkish Cypriots will be ignored as usual. I seem to recall that the whole of Cyprus gained independence from Britain, not just the south.
The north can't declare an illegal independent state, breaking away from the Republic, then expect heads of state to visit them as if everything is hunky dory
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 am That is great news. It will be good for the future King to visit. UK and Cyprus have a very strong bond and this will help bolster that feeling. :D
What strong bond? The UK does nothing for Cyprus. Not even politically.

We have military bases we pay nothing for.

It’s like Liam Fix who said the Commonwealth countries like India were desperate to do deals with the UK out of the EU - tuned out to be bollocks

Cyprus, like any former colony is treated appallingly by the UK. - African, Caribbean, Ireland ...
lotus

Post by lotus »

Moaning buggers some of you!SOME of the royal family do a fantastic job,and bring in millions for the UK in tourism alone,if you are moaning about the cost what about all the scrounging parasites claiming this that and the other and never doing a days work in UK,I would imagine all this cost far out ways what the Royal Family cost
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

josef k wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:51 pm A waste of public money, both in the UK and Cyprus. The visit is to mark the anniversary of independence from Britain but I note the Turkish Cypriots will be ignored as usual. I seem to recall that the whole of Cyprus gained independence from Britain, not just the south.
Imagine the outcry if a visiting Royal did visit the north!

Don't be daft.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Charlie and his circus, are probably coming now, before they need a visa next year....
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Hope they do visit - good to see a royal presence in Cyprus as it is a member of the Commonwealth and for a few days rather than a 'flying visit'.
https://thecommonwealth.org/our-member-countries/cyprus

There must be something special about the island to attract so many visitors from the UK and those of us who have decided to reside here.

However, the other main topic I am interested in may determine whether the visit goes ahead.... or not.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

So much anti British feeling! Do those of you who perpetually run down the UK still have British passports? If so perhaps you should have changed them.
I don’t agree with somethings about the way a modern UK is run currently, but I am still British and feel a sense of belonging there. Unlike politicians who cone and go, the monarch is still there. Our Royal family is a-political, and brings a sense of stability and continuity to our country. Part of their ‘job description’ is to promote foreign and commonwealth relations, and that is what they will do. No member of the Royal family has actually been on a formal visit to the island since the Queen came to Cyprus in 1993, though they have visited our troops here on the bases. I doubt if they will ignore the TC’s, either. But it wouldn’t be politically correct to release this sort of information now.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Being anti monarchy is not being anti british, it is 2020 not the middle ages, you and others, who wish to kneel and curtsey to these mainly German dinosaurs, please feel free to continue, but in a democracy some of us wish not to. .....
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

WHL wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 am Being anti monarchy is not being anti british, it is 2020 not the middle ages, you and others, who wish to kneel and curtsey to these mainly German dinosaurs, please feel free to continue, but in a democracy some of us wish not to. .....
I presume then by your logic, that before they were German they were Scottish and before that, Welsh and before that, Norman French?
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 am Being anti monarchy is not being anti british, it is 2020 not the middle ages, you and others, who wish to kneel and curtsey to these mainly German dinosaurs, please feel free to continue, but in a democracy some of us wish not to. .....
I presume then by your logic, that before they were German they were Scottish and before that, Welsh and before that, Norman French?
Well, it goes to show that the present lot are imposters on the previous lots, who are imposters on that previous lot ad finitum

I'm with WHL and not into cap-doffing. It's that kind of attitude that allows Andrew to regard himself as above us all and to show contempt for law and moral code. He is an sac de merde and it is disgusting that he and his ilk get treated differently from the rest of us.

This entire cap-doffing respect given to royalty and celebrities and politicians and the like, is why we get the likes of Wernstein, Cyril Smith, Saville, Andrew and many others able to not only do what they want, but to regard anyone questioning it, as in the wrong, rather than them.

Society needs to show respect to those who earn it. I regard the Queen as earning respect, before you think this is a Royal rant. I don't regard respect being given out without cause.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm
How it worked was, the biggest murdering scam bag, murdered who ever was king at the time, until the next murderiing scum bag came along, and got rid of them, even murdering innocent little children in the tower, fast forward we have european cousins starting wars to hang on to power, causing the deaths of millions, no mate this mob should be put into the dustbin of history, just like their European cousins have been .
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

UK Royalty?,,perhaps the only thing that the rest of the world envy us for,and the countless millions they bring into the country,s coffers...….And some people on here call and decry them.....the mind boggles.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I’ve never personally had to kneel or curtsey. The best we can do is to agree to disagree about the value of our Royal family...
But I for one prefer to have a monarch to having to depend on politicians and a president, who can change every few years. I see no one in the current government who would fit the bill to become President!
Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I'm neither for nor against royalty, rather the opposite, in fact.