Cockroaches!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Cockroaches!

Post by Lincoln »

We are quite fortunate to only get the odd Cockroach now and then in our apartment. usually late evening or early morning in the kitchen sink area.

Well my wife spotted one and tried in vain to kill it. It eventually went under the fridge freezer. So she gets our very powerfull torch which has the facility to have a strobe light effect. She shone it under the fridge/freezer and said that will give it a headache :roll: :lol: Anyway I should think headache or not it will be dead by now as we put the ant/cockroach powder down under the fridge/freezer as well as the washing machine.
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Cockroaches!

Post by Devil »

At this time of year?
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Sounds like there may be an infestation, not necessarily in your flat but maybe someone else's
David
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

No infestation. As I said we get the ODD ONE.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

We all get them during the summer leaving windows and doors open they fly in and lay eggs.
They like warmth and need water so a kitchen sink is popular, lots of gaps/cracks pipes etc to move from one part of a building to another.
As Devil said 'at this time of year'?
Best time to catch them at your sink is in the early hours but as soon as you turn the light on they scarper, good luck
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

I get some liquid from the local co op farmers store, put in every sink toilet and drain, leave fpr an hour then flush through , marvelous stuff,
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

When we first moved here we certainly had a LOT of the cockroaches. I diligently put Roach killer down all dark crevices and sealed them. Cleaned out all under the worktops, kitchen cupboard bases and put Roach killer down-then sealed it all. Now it seems they are coming in from next door so Roach powder down just across our doorway outside and a brush seal fixed to the base of the door. (makes it a tad difficult to open) So we shall now wait and see. My wife keeps the apartment scrupulously clean
All things are possible
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We have fly screens fitted to every external window and doors. We even have one on the external door so in the summer it can be left open. So we don't get any flying insects visiting.
All things are possible
El tel

Post by El tel »

When I worked in west Africa the cockroaches were so big you could put a saddle on them. :-)

Terry
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 pm
Austin7 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:04 pmLived in our house since new in 2003, never ever seen a cockroach 8-)

Ditto. But the ants drive my wife nutz!
We get those little tiny ants.. But we have not settled on a way of getting rid of them
Trev..
darrow

Post by darrow »

We have had one or two, now and again. We git soe interference on the telephone line once. Phoned Cyta. They said the line was O.K. Went to check the telephone box on the side of the house, there was a massive one straddled across two wires. It scarpered down the gap where the wires went under the wall. Checked around outside. There was loads of them around the edge of the septic tank! Put some diatomaecous earth around the sides, haven't seen any since. DE is harmless unless you are an insect, parasite, or a virus.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Our neighbour had an infestation just below the lip of the septic tank. They were living in the brickwork and found their way into the house via the pipework. The appropriate insecticide got rid of them.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We tended to find them if we had been away for several days. Always in the bathroom when the pipes had dried through none use during our absence.

I started putting that caustic stuff down the plugholes before we left then putting the plug in and jamming up the overflow on the sinks and bath with tissue.
Stopped the buggers getting in that way.....

One of our dogs would chase and catch any he found in the back yard and would bring them inside and stomp them to bits.

Meanwhile, me and our other dog - 44kg Rottweiler would be huddled together on the sofa with all feet firmly off the ground.

Destroyed bits of dead cockroach were deposited on my husband's bed by the other dog.

And people wonder why cockroaches give me the screaming heebie jeebies!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 pm
Austin7 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:04 pmLived in our house since new in 2003, never ever seen a cockroach 8-)

Ditto. But the ants drive my wife nutz!
Slightly off topic but I have a friend from our complex who has lived in Cyprus for 12 years and has never seen a snake. I visit for a few weeks a year and have lost count of the number I’ve seen

I have also had to remove quite a few cockroaches from our apartment. This is normally preceded by a scream from the better half!