Paphos: Online petition launched against destruction of environment

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Paphos: Online petition launched against destruction of environment

Post by Paphos Life »

A citizens’ initiative group in Paphos has launched an online

The petition highlights the cutting down of trees in Evi Maliotou park which it says is only the latest in a series of negative developments, including the decision to allow the construction of a new church in the municipal gardens, the cutting down of 50 trees in the Universal area, construction of a cafe at the Sodap beach and the cutting down of trees at Pembes park.

It said the last incident with the mass cutting down of trees at the Evi Maliotou park was the final straw, with the town’s already beleaguered natural environment apparently coming under assault from the municipality itself.

It said that in the majority of cases, the initiative rests with Mayor Phedon Phedonos, while the municipal council has not reacted.

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Paphos: Online petition launched against destruction of environment

Post by Dominic »

This is very true Lloyd.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yes, it is true and after it is all done and looking good. Then they all say how nice it is and are happy to use the facilities. As far as I am aware many new trees are to be put into the park.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

No real point in posting as the usual people are in full voice!
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Well I think it’s awful. Having been initially an avid supporter of the mayor and the positive upgrades and changes to Paphos, I have over time become saddened by the gradual destruction of the green areas in favour of more and more concrete. I feel sad every time I pass the unfathomable and pointless structure at the entrance to paphos which sums up everything I hate about this continued assault on the natural character of our town. My opinion of course but I feel a more balanced administration with consultation and compromise it what is needed. Just wait till the high rises that have been given permission start in earnest.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Totally agree with Lofos-Jan there is progress and their is destruction and development that is not in the upkeep of what Paphos is all about.......there are many on this forum who are the influx of when Cyprus joined the EU and the developers greed took over, some here in their retirement other in business who welcome opportunity to fill their own pockets but there comes a time when enough is enough, the new Mayor when appointed was a tonic Paphos needed but as with all new brooms 🧹 eventually the bristles wear out ..........
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too agree with Lofos Jan, the gradual destruction of the green areas in favour of more and more concrete is regrettable to say the least
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with the points raised by Lofos Jan and Yioula makes some telling points too. I also feel strongly about the loss or partial loss of both trees and green areas. Why is it that successive Mayors want to increase the amount of concrete around the town? When the new high rises start to be built Paphos will need as many green areas as possible. Or what’s left of them.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yioula wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:23 am Totally agree with Lofos-Jan there is progress and their is destruction and development that is not in the upkeep of what Paphos is all about.......there are many on this forum who are the influx of when Cyprus joined the EU and the developers greed took over, some here in their retirement other in business who welcome opportunity to fill their own pockets but there comes a time when enough is enough, the new Mayor when appointed was a tonic Paphos needed but as with all new brooms 🧹 eventually the bristles wear out ..........
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know who you are trying to insult but I don't think anybody saw a move to Cyprus as an opportunity to fill their pockets.

Paphos is not a museum, it is a living, breathing city, like any other city in the world. And like anything living, it grows and changes, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

I used to live and work in London. Now my old haunts are almost completely unrecognisable. The same is true for Camberly, and Norfolk. Even Farnham is going pedestrian only.

If you want less change, go and move into one of the remoter villages. They are crying out for new people to live there, as the younger generation moves to the city looking for work and a more modern way of life.

Hell, even when they try and alleviate that, by building a motorway between Paphos and Polis, the usual crowd shout it down because it is out of character, when in fact it is one of the few things that might save the villages as it would take away the need to live in a city.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I drove past the small park in question today. The tree removal work seems to be completed and the ground smoothed over. There are still lots of trees there and all seem to be trees that are appropriate to Cyprus. The palm trees etc are gone, to be replaced with more trees than have been taken away, according to the plan.

It wasn't much of a park before and was hardly used. It would be interesting to know how many forum members have ever been in the park. Hopefully the changes will enable it to achieve it's potential.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Over the years have often walked around or through this park and it needed restoration. I did read that some of the new trees being planted will be 20+ years old so it will still retain its character. Just hope it is maintained - an issue with some other parks in the town.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've been through the park on numerous occasions. I always thought that it was a wasted opportunity, as it could have been much nicer.