Kiln-dried oak firewood

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Kiln-dried oak firewood

Post by MacManiac »

This may be very familiar to many of you but just in case it isn’t ...

Our usual firewood supplier has run out of the lemonwood he has supplied us with for the last year or so. We tried another supplier of hardwood and they had also run out.

A friend suggested a local place in Polis and I dropped in to see them. They had both ash and oak, and he made a point of telling me that their wood was kiln-dried and so was slightly more expensive. As they had fitted our log burner a year ago, I had no reason to doubt the veracity of what they said. Two and a half hours later and our delivery arrived.

We lit the stove and sat back to watch. The oak logs gave out an unbelievable amount of heat, burned slowly and by the end of the evening we had used about half the number of logs we normally use. Incredibly impressed and - although the logs were slightly more expensive - thought I would share my experience. No doubt to the experienced log burners, this may be “old hat”.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Kiln-dried oak firewood

Post by Dominic »

That would be useful if you said where you actually went!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Oakland

Post by Oakland »

Hi Guys

Yes we would also be interested to know the supplier , and also and if they don’t mind the volume supplied with price

Thanks

Les
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that the message here is that you all should consider building a large log store which will hold enough logs to last you through the winter! Before I sold my house in Kamares, we had a large soundly constructed log store which was adequate to store enough logs to last an average winter. That means that one can buy a larger quantity of dry logs in autumn and be able to keep them dry.

Dee
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Apologies as I was not intending to promote the supplier but was just trying to explain our delight at the kiln-dried logs.

Our supplier is https://firewoodpaphos.wixsite.com/seasonedfirewood

We had a large (or so it seemed to us) builder’s bag of kiln-dried oak for €130 (including delivery).
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:15 pm VERY interesting Martin.

So this story is of interest. I suspect that it might not make economic sense for your supplier to deliver to where we live, but I'm keen to find out.
I believe they deliver to the Paphos area. The whole family speak fluent English so a phone call should help. We ordered over the phone and paid cash on delivery.
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

As a matter of interest, is there a supplier of different woods suitable for a pizza oven and/or BBQ smoker? I'm thinkings woods like, Cherry, Apple, Lemon etc. Oak is ok but does give quite an overpowering smokey flavour and sometimes I want a subtler taste.