British woman returns to Cyprus, arrested for failing to pay old hotel bill

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

British woman returns to Cyprus, arrested for failing to pay old hotel bill

Post by Paphos Life »

A British woman who left an unpaid hotel bill of €1420 last year, was arrested on her return to Cyprus and will stand trial on March 17, philenews reports.It said the woman had holidayed at a five star Paphos Hotel but never paid the bill....

Read the article and chat about it below...
LouiseCastricum

Re: British woman returns to Cyprus, arrested for failing to pay old hotel bill

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Well done Cyprus!
Louise :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

:lol: How long before the daily mail, sun and the usual subjects, claim, she was set up, beaten up by the police, not had a fair trail, etc etc???? Only a matter of time
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well this woman behaved very badly? If I remember right, the hotelier had done a lot to help her. I think that he allowed her to continue spending while staying at his hotel, on the understanding that she would pay her bill in full on her last day, before her departure to UK

In the event she managed to leave the hotel without paying.. Having done this she also managed to leave the island. Was she stupid to return to Cyprus expecting that the authorities here wouldn’t pounce on her when she arrived.?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well this woman behaved very badly? If I remember right, the hotelier had done a lot to help her. I think that he allowed her to continue spending while staying at his hotel, on the understanding that she would pay her bill in full on her last day, before her departure to UK

In the event she managed to leave the hotel without paying.. Having done this she also managed to leave the island. Was she stupid to return to Cyprus expecting that the authorities here wouldn’t pounce on her when she arrived.?
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

I know of a situation here where someone committed a criminal offence against his neighbours property..Very minor but still a criminal offence.The police said the two neighbours had to " sort it out "between themselves.Would the dispute between the lady and the hotel be a civil matter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

It probably was a civil matter until she decided to leave the country and then turned it into a criminal matter - It would be hoped that they have confiscated her passport if they have let her out on bail
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:40 pm I know of a situation here where someone committed a criminal offence against his neighbours property..Very minor but still a criminal offence.The police said the two neighbours had to " sort it out "between themselves.Would the dispute between the lady and the hotel be a civil matter.
I guess it comes under stealing.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

From https://travel.stackexchange.com

Basically, you owe the hotel a debt. If you fail to pay it, there are civil law procedures to deal with that. The only way this could turn into a crime is if you deliberately tried to avoid paying the bill. Then it would be fraud.17 Mar 2013
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

It appears that Cyprus takes fraud very seriously when it wants to and there are several examples online

Financial crime in Cyprus: overview | Practical Law
https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com

Offences are punishable by 14 years' imprisonment, or a fine of up to EUR500,000, or both where the person knew about the offence. The penalty is reduced to five years' imprisonment, a fine of up to EUR50,000, or both, for people who ought to have known that an offence was being committed.1 Jan 2019
emgee

Post by emgee »

Many years ago, if you bounced a cheque with Phillipos near the Church, he used to display it between his two tills for the world to see.

Alan
WHL

Post by WHL »

emgee wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:34 am Many years ago, if you bounced a cheque with Phillipos near the Church, he used to display it between his two tills for the world to see.

Alan
If you were given a bounced cheque, you could take it to the police, and they would go see the person who gave you it and prosecute them if they didn't give you the money. I remember this well
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It seems strange to me that the offence of effectively stealing goods or services is dealt with effectively by police and courts, yet there are individuals here, even those at the highest levels of society, for whom their non performjng loans, seems to be OK? So it's OK to owe a bank mega bucks with no fear of proper legal action. The bank then gets lumbered with all these unpaid loans which the rest of us In different ways are paying them off with all the new rules that banks now have to extort extra money from customers by charging them for any service required. Such as ordering a new cheque book in. Branch or even giving you cash at the counter from your own bank account. Unless one does internet banking.
Dee
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Kili01

I was not aware that you can be charged for withdrawing your own cash at the counter - I knew that certain cash machines incur a charge if they are not the banks own
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 pm It seems strange to me that the offence of effectively stealing goods or services is dealt with effectively by police and courts, yet there are individuals here, even those at the highest levels of society, for whom their non performjng loans, seems to be OK? So it's OK to owe a bank mega bucks with no fear of proper legal action. The bank then gets lumbered with all these unpaid loans which the rest of us In different ways are paying them off with all the new rules that banks now have to extort extra money from customers by charging them for any service required. Such as ordering a new cheque book in. Branch or even giving you cash at the counter from your own bank account. Unless one does internet banking.
Dee
You were always charged for a new cheque book, it isn't something new, the same goes for the UK and most other country's banks
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, this applies to Alpha Bank at branch level. There is a fee of €3 if you simply want to draw money out of your account using the cashier and another charge if you want to transfer money from one of your accounts to the other using the cashier. A further extra charge should you want to apply for a new cheque book at the bank. If you can do all this on your own computer using the internet, there is apparently no charge except a reduced charge for the cheque book..there is another fee payable should you want a printed bank statement.
And so it goes on. Paying the bank for taking your money..
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

WHL
Yes, there has always been a small charge for ordering a cheque book, but the current fees from memory are now €12 if you order cheque book on line. Charge of €20 if you ask when you are in branch..
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:27 pm Yes, this applies to Alpha Bank at branch level. There is a fee of €3 if you simply want to draw money out of your account using the cashier and another charge if you want to transfer money from one of your accounts to the other using the cashier. A further extra charge should you want to apply for a new cheque book at the bank. If you can do all this on your own computer using the internet, there is apparently no charge except a reduced charge for the cheque book..there is another fee payable should you want a printed bank statement.
And so it goes on. Paying the bank for taking your money..
Dee
I draw cash over the counter at Alpha bank every month including yesterday and have never been charged.
Lefkes
WHL

Post by WHL »

Back on topic, a lot of scammers are very good at what they do, and are highly believable, so I can understand, how the Hotel were taken in, I'm sure this wasn't the lady's first attempt at scamming. So I hope the courts deal her a hefty sentence.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I do too! When something like this happens it reflects badly on the British population here as a whole.

Dee