Debenhams

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
josef k

Debenhams

Post by josef k »

The word on the street (and in the staff canteen at the store) is that the Paphos Debenhams will be closing in March. It will be replaced by something else as yet unknown. The one in Nicosia has already been replaced by H&M, so it may be something similar.

Not so dramatic as it sounds as the store is, in fact, owned by the Shacolas group who have a Debenhams franchise. They also own Superhome Centre and have the franchises for Next, OVS,and Zako
Kili01

Re: Debenhams

Post by Kili01 »

When I was in the UK at Christmas the media were hinting that Debenhams stores weren’t doing well and that some or all of their stores might have to close as some other department stores have already. It’s sad but true that there are increasing numbers of empty shops on many British high streets. So maybe that is why Shacolas are looking around for another franchise.

And the increasing use of internet shopping is one of the main causes... It seems that many potential buyers use shops on the high street like display centres, but then return home to order their intending purchases there using the internet. Which is very unfair on shops who are deprived of sales which are needed to pay staff salaries and other overheads like rates and electricity bills.

Dee
boycott

Post by boycott »

The Debenhams in the tourist area in Limassol is closing down I think next year as the land has been sold to redevelop into luxury office/apartments as Limassol does not have enough luxury empty offices and apartments.
No idea if they are relocating the shop.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I agree with you to a degree Lloyd. But there are still a lot of people who aren’t
good with computers , particularly, but not exclusively older people.
It is also quite depressing to see all the empty shops along the high street in towns in the UK. The internet is useful for ordering some things, but not clothes. But this means that you have no opportunity to see something before you have paid for it.
I don't like ordering clothes on line, as there is no guarantee that your usual size will in fact fit, or that the style or cut of the garment will suit. That’s a good reason for trying things on first in a store...
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 am
You can't, Canute-like, change the rapid evolution in shopping habits.
This is a terrible slur on King Cnut!

He wasn't trying to change anything! He was demonstrating to his fauning sycophants that he COULDN'T turn back the tide.

The story of King Cnut is a classic case of perfectly accurate reporting being misinterpreted by the masses. You only have to read any history book to see that he was demonstrating he couldn't turn back the tide, yet he is forever represented as some pompous, bumbling fool who thought he could do anything.

Poor unlucky Cnut.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am Yes, I agree with you to a degree Lloyd. But there are still a lot of people who aren’t
good with computers , particularly, but not exclusively older people.
It is also quite depressing to see all the empty shops along the high street in towns in the UK. The internet is useful for ordering some things, but not clothes. But this means that you have no opportunity to see something before you have paid for it.
I don't like ordering clothes on line, as there is no guarantee that your usual size will in fact fit, or that the style or cut of the garment will suit. That’s a good reason for trying things on first in a store...
Dee
As you say, it might be a generational thing but my son & daughter (30 & 20) do most if not all of their shopping online. They see nothing in ordering something and if they don't like it or doesn't fit sending it back for a refund, especially with the buy and return systems being pretty efficient and straightforward these days. Why would they go into town where parking expenses can be horrendous given some councils actively discourage people using their cars when they can sit at home and order online. They can try things on in the comfort of their own home and sometimes have a better idea of what something looks like in natural light rather than in a pokey little dressing room.

As HiC said, that's just the way things are now and businesses need to adapt their processes or wither on the vine :(
kansas

Post by kansas »

My wife does both, buying on line and going to stores. However, whilst I get what Lloyd is saying about being "familiar with a brand's sizing and its consistency" this doesn't always work out. So many of the stores have changed the style and cut, have started using cheaper material and are now less than generous with the sizing. My wife is a size 12 but is having to buy size 14 in M & S. She bought two identical tops this week, same sizing, one fitted perfectly, the other was too tight and had to be returned. Just saying.....
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, Kansas I agree with what you wrote about some stores inconsistent sizing of many of their garments. M & S, for example, are a company which have this problem. Once upon a time (say several years at least) the companies quality of both materials used, and the actual sizing. could be guaranteed. Once I had established my size according to trying garments in store, I could then select garments across their range, in my size as being very likely to fit.
But no more, if you read some of the reviews on their own web site, other customers are making the same comments about both their quality, fit and sizing,
Which is why although I would rather not, I like to try a selection of new garments in store and buy there and then, knowing that I won’t have the bother of returning things which aren’t Suitable.
So I hope that enough people will continue to visit town center stores to help keep them open.
Young people in well paid jobs can afford to buy on line and faff about deciding what to keep.
Many retired people, may not be confident using a computer & don't want to do this. Both sides should respect each others views.
Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I have very rarely ever ordered anything online. In fact only twice in the time since we moved in 2003. We love to mooch around the shops try things out/on and then make the decision wether to purchase or not.
All things are possible
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I personally dislike clothes shopping, but do not believe that the option is ordering on-line for the reasons stated by others above; sizing, quality, colour, etc..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Bad enough going to the shops and trying to find clothes and shoes that fit - tend to take at least 2 different sizes of the same item into the changing room and as for shoes just show the salesperson my feet and take it from there! Used to order items through the post when I lived in the UK, but not keen on sharing my financial details with too many companies or payment systems and in fact use a stand-alone system (ie not linked to any other account) for my shopping purchases.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

A huge part of the problem in the UK with regard to the traditional High Street, is the astronomical business rates that are applied. There are now piecemeal moves by both Local and national Government to reverse the trend in the High Streets dying. Only time will tell but a useful weapon is, buy locally.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

High streets are thing of the past. We've moved on to buying on line. Our family buys most of our wants and needs on line. Recently we bought a new Samsung induction hob from Amazon that was half the price of anything we could find in Paphos. Debenhams is overpriced and has a limited size range so why bother going shopping.
Jim
kansas

Post by kansas »

Well if shops are going to be a thing of the past, let's hope the postal and courier services improve!
josef k

Post by josef k »

Back to the subject.

The word is that Debenhams in Paphos will be renamed ERA and will be much like it is now in terms of categories of stock. However the Debenhams branding and associated brands (e.g. Red Herring) will not be stocked, being replaced with more mainstream brands. Some are already in place.
The change-over is due during March.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

josef k wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:57 pm Back to the subject.

The word is that Debenhams in Paphos will be renamed ERA and will be much like it is now in terms of categories of stock. However the Debenhams branding and associated brands (e.g. Red Herring) will not be stocked, being replaced with more mainstream brands. Some are already in place.
The change-over is due during March.
This will be the 4th change of name in my 11 years in Cyprus. F W Woolworth, Ermes, Debenhams & now ERA. All owned by the Shacolas Group.

If interested to read the profile of Nicolas Shacolas click here https://premiere-magazine.com.cy/nicola ... t-success/