Recommendation

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
jonjo

Recommendation

Post by jonjo »

Hi

I am looking for a recommendation - someone to build a porch, block up a window, fit electric underfloor heating, re-tile the ground floor and finally build a pergola over the drive.

Many thanks
Jon
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Recommendation

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Have sent you PM, Jon

Max
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

You may require planning permission for some of your works. For underfloor heating, STRONGLY recommend a heat pump system, which will consume only about ¼ of the electricity compared with what you seem to propose.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Am I not right in thinking that heat pumps become much less efficient in winter, just when the heat is needed?
jonjo

Post by jonjo »

Hi

All I wish to do is incorporate the raised porch area of about 2.5m x 1.5m. The current front door is set back from the rest of the front of the villa and to the right side - so I just need to take it away and add 2 new walls (with a new front door) and a single storey pitched tiled roof (with a Velux).

As regards heating, I just thought that the cheapest and easiest solution would be an underfloor electric solution? We live in London and it works here underneath a tiled floor. It’s £200 per month but given the fact we will spend very little time in Cyprus in the winter, I am not so concerned about the monthly cost as we will be saving an equivalent amount here when we are away. We also have AC and may fit a log burner.

All thoughts welcome!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My thoughts are that for...
" All I wish to do is incorporate the raised porch area of about 2.5m x 1.5m. The current front door is set back from the rest of the front of the villa and to the right side - so I just need to take it away and add 2 new walls (with a new front door) and a single storey pitched tiled roof (with a Velux). "

You may well need planning permission... Why not take your exiting plans and a drawing of what you want to do to the planning department and ask there
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Check with your muktar what the percentage covered area is for your location, and compare it to your plans. If your house is already on or near the limit, you will most likely be wasting your time applying for your covered porch.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol: