solicitor/power of attorney?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

solicitor/power of attorney?

Post by Chaddy »

We have an offer on the property we are selling and our solicitor says in our absence it would be better to give him/her power of attorney.The solicitor has been around for over twenty years and has handled sales for us in the past but did not ask for power of attorney then...Simply,is it safe and or advisable? Thanks for any advice.
darrow

Re: solicitor/power of attorney?

Post by darrow »

Generally , yes! We used power of attorney when we first bought here over 11 years ago. We signed the forms while we were over after selecting the home we wanted to buy. Everything was then done by the solicitor from thereon in. Now we are selling in U.K. and our solicitor there said power of attorney wasn't required. We have done quite a lot of the paperwork by emails, printing and scans. So far there has been only one document required physically, which we sent by registered post. So I don't see why the lawyer here couldn't do the same, if you have the facilities to scan , print, or email at home, but power of attorney is safe. Ask your lawyer what it covers and what is involved.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Hi,
Beware of giving full power of attorney, this gives them the power to take out loans in your name, clear out your bank account, sell your house and keep the money etc. Whilst Im sure your lawyer is OK, I would not give full power to my best friend.
You can give limited power of attorney this states what they can do so it would say they have the power to purchase or sell then name the property, and register in the name of if buying or and deposit the monies in the account of... if selling.
Gary
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I agree with Tanny. Ensure the Power of Attorney is very specific, not general, and have an end date to it too. That way, it cannot be used for anything other than the sale of this one particular property.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
darrow

Post by darrow »

Glang3000 is right. Power of attorney is perfectly safe for the specific performance of house selling, and usually ends with the completion of sale. Noone should give open ended power of attorney to anyone which is not specific.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Thanks darrow,but don't understand "noone"
darrow

Post by darrow »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:45 am No-one.
well you did understand then! :P