Amazon Post Brexit

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Alewfin

Amazon Post Brexit

Post by Alewfin »

I recently placed an order with Amazon Germany and paid in Euros.

But when the package arrived the label stated that it was from the UK, delivered by Royal Mail and shipped from Manchester to Larnaca.

In future is this likely to cause an issue with the staff in Cyprus re Duty as the UK will be a Third Country ?
josef k

Re: Amazon Post Brexit

Post by josef k »

Yes, it will unless there is an agreement between the UK and EU not to charge customs duty on all goods. Given this blanket agreement is unlikely, and any such agreements are likely to be product specific at best, I think we can assume parcels from the UK will be subject to inspection and duty.

Perhaps Amazon purchasers need to be diligent when purchasing, to ensure the particular supplier is EU based.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Lloyd, I 100% believe that Boris has zero intention of a trade deal on reasonable terms and will throw most of us under his big red bus. The rich always benefit from austerity and strife and will do in a no-deal situation, while Nigel from Scunthorpe loses his job, house and car (then wife and sanity)

No-deal is so non-sensical to most of us, we wonder why it would even be considered - but he now has a law to allow him to do it and not even need the approval of parliament. Hung, drawn and quartered.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

This all supposes that any terms issued by Brussels are reasonable. I would have my doubts as there seems to be a drive to not make it easy for any other Member vassal to consider leaving. The Greenwich Speech outlined the PM's stance with regards to both sides being reasonable.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

If you recall several years ago when Amazon shipped items from the UK and they were sent via Switzerland, we were charged import duty and VAT. I argued with the Customs Officer and pointed out the point of origin but he wouldn't budge as the last port was not in the EU. There is a lower limit before they start charging duty .

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Diocletian wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:40 pm This all supposes that any terms issued by Brussels are reasonable. I would have my doubts as there seems to be a drive to not make it easy for any other Member vassal to consider leaving. The Greenwich Speech outlined the PM's stance with regards to both sides being reasonable.
A point that some on here struggle to grasp.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Diocletian wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:40 pm This all supposes that any terms issued by Brussels are reasonable. I would have my doubts as there seems to be a drive to not make it easy for any other Member vassal to consider leaving. The Greenwich Speech outlined the PM's stance with regards to both sides being reasonable.
Well, Boris has already made it nigh on impossible to do a deal, as he throws out the basis for trade agreement - food standards and the like - employment protections.... yet the Leavers will still blame the EU - they will still be blaming it in 10 years when the ship has sailed...
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 am
Well, Boris has already made it nigh on impossible to do a deal, as he throws out the basis for trade agreement - food standards and the like - employment protections.... yet the Leavers will still blame the EU - they will still be blaming it in 10 years when the ship has sailed...
And you will continue to blame Boris, and continue to see the EU through rose tinted glasses, and on it all goes......
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:26 am The EU want to do a deal; it is in their best interests to do so.

Understandably however, they are not prepared to compromise on the guiding principles on which the EU trading partnership was founded and by which the remaining 26 member states abide, simply to suit a disgruntled member who has decided to leave the club.

All the confrontational and intimidatory rhetoric thus far has come from UK politicians.
Employment and environmental standards are higher in the UK than EU. It took Brussels 16 years to implement, for example, the right to Paternity leave following the UK lead. In most areas where the EU request parity, the U.K. Would be reducing its employment standards to comply. As for confrontational rhetoric, have you never listened to Barnier and Verhoefstadt?
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Paul & Lesley wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 am I hope this helps people out.
https://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/cust ... enDocument
Thanks Paul and Lesley.
My wife buys lots of dance costumes for the Dance group she's involved in and now we know it's not just pot luck on charges.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC- yours is a sensible post and its my view too. I see potential difficulties ahead after Dec 20 when UK will finally leave the EU without negotiated trade treaties in place. The way things are going it seems very unlikely that there will be enough time to do thiis. The EU leaders wanted to allow GB three years to complete negotiations, but Boris and his driving force Dominic Cummings don’t seem to have much apparent interest in trade or the implications for the UK if we exit the EU before we have proper trade agreements with them or the rest of the world, which are bound to take time.
At present more than 50% of our trade is with EU countries.
Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:16 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:26 am The EU want to do a deal; it is in their best interests to do so.

Understandably however, they are not prepared to compromise on the guiding principles on which the EU trading partnership was founded and by which the remaining 26 member states abide, simply to suit a disgruntled member who has decided to leave the club.

All the confrontational and intimidatory rhetoric thus far has come from UK politicians.
Employment and environmental standards are higher in the UK than EU. It took Brussels 16 years to implement, for example, the right to Paternity leave following the UK lead. In most areas where the EU request parity, the U.K. Would be reducing its employment standards to comply. As for confrontational rhetoric, have you never listened to Barnier and Verhoefstadt?
As Im always asked; would you post some links to substantiate your claims please?.

Jim
kansas

Post by kansas »

Healthspan started shipping from Holland instead of the Channel Isles quite a few years ago, so no reason why Amazon can't ensure that goods are shipped from another EU country.