Speeding driver caught after posting video of speedometer on social media

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Speeding driver caught after posting video of speedometer on social media

Post by Paphos Life »

A 23 year old man who posted a video as he was doing 180 km per hour on the Larnaca-Paralimni highway on social media is due in court today to be charged with reckless driving, speeding and not having his hands free when driving....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Speeding driver caught after posting video of speedometer on social media

Post by Kili01 »

That was a stupid and dangerous act of his. Then he compounded it by boasting on social media!...Wonder who his Dad is and whether he’ll have to appear in court.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I can't just see why his dad would be involved, as he is 23 yrs old..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sorry, I wondered if this young man who must have been driving a very fast car, (judging by the speed at which he was driving), had a rich and influential Parent who might be able to secure special treatment for his son, with regard to his court appearance. This sort of thing is not unknown here....

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Hmm.. I see your point now.. Your viewpoint is indeed a possibility.. Maybe we will learn more from the newspaper .
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

Why has his dad been brought into this story?

Where is originally mentioned????
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:10 pm Sorry, I wondered if this young man who must have been driving a very fast car, (judging by the speed at which he was driving), had a rich and influential Parent who might be able to secure special treatment for his son, with regard to his court appearance. This sort of thing is not unknown here....

Dee
Change the record :roll:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

nholleran wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:56 am WHL. Your a real TTH
What is that supposed to mean? If you don't like WHL, put him on block. Simple as that. But he had a valid point. Dee's comment was totally uncalled for.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It seems that I am forever being censored where as certain others on here may say what they like. I try to ignore a certain persons barbs as much as possible, as he is allowed to say what he likes. But surely everyone is entitled to free speech?
My remark reflects a dry sense of humour Dominic. Anyone who has lived here for a while, can’t help but notice what goes on. Sometimes the normal course of justice might be side stepped depending on who one knows..

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Oh methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Yes everybody is entitled to free speech.

You are free to slag off Cyprus. Other people are free to pull you up about it.

And Christ, there are enough bent cops in the UK for me to say that the problem you are describing is not confined to Cyprus. And why stop at cops. Have you any idea the level of bribery that goes on in the UK? It may be more clandestine, but I can assure you that many a bureaucratic hand gets greased in the wheels of industry and commerce there. The only difference between the UK and other countries is that other countries are more open about it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I am not slagging off Cyprus per se. There are plenty of good things here, but since most things which happen in Cyprus are reported in the local media, a board like this one also reports and comments on some items. But it should be done in a polite and thoughtful way and without upsetting others.
This case won’t go away while the accused is planning to appeal which many people obviously think stands a chance of success. If she wins her case maybe it will have a positive effect here if the police and judiciary are required to change the way such cases are treated.

I hope she is successful as presently her case has received such wide publicity off island that it is probably tarnishing Cyprus’s International reputation. As a ‘safe destination’. Especially with tourists who are a very important source of revenue here.

Dee
memory man

Post by memory man »

I thought this thread was to do with a speeding driver :? :? :?

Is the driver planning an appeal?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

No sorry,
I posted this by mistake in the wrong place.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I read in the Cy Mail yesterday, front page, that at last tougher motoring penalties for drivers who break the law are now in force w.e.f. Fri 31 Jan., not before time as 5 people have already been killed this year on Cyprus roads. For reckless driving (which equates to dangerous driving), the penalty now includes the courts ability to remove a drivers license, and after disqualification they will have to retake the driving test...plus increased monetary fines.
Something needs to be done to deter these irresponsible, stupid drivers who endanger not only their lives, but also other innocent motorists.

Dee