Phone scammers pretending to be Cyta technicians

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Phone scammers pretending to be Cyta technicians

Post by Paphos Life »

Phone scammers pretending to be Cyta technicians have been tricking users into installing malware and asking for credit card details, warned the telecommunications authority warned on Wednesday.According to Cyta, subscribers have been receiving unexpected overseas calls from scammers acting on behalf of the company as technicians and offering help with safety issues....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Jimgym

Re: Phone scammers pretending to be Cyta technicians

Post by Jimgym »

So far I’ve had “cyta” and also the “international lottery”. I’m wondering what tomorrow will bring!🤣
JimX

Post by JimX »

Wednesday midday I had one of these calls, it sounded like Indian or Pakistani man in a distant land very faded and interference, he tried to sell me another provider, what I did was asked him to hang on while I got my Cyta information, after ten minutes he disappeared with hopefully a large phone bill..PS this was on my house phone.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Another fun thing to try is to say you are putting them on hold, then sing down the phone until they hang up.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nobody mentioned Windows. And if you think you can't get malware on a Mac you are deluded.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Two calls today purporting to be from Amazon saying my Amazon Subscription would renew today for £39.99. Press 1 to speak to a rep. Pressed 1, call centre in some foreign country. lots of background noise. Told it needed to be either renewed or cancelled today, and they wanted my card details. Politely said I would renew online and was told that I would not be able to. At this point I hung up. Checked my Amazon account, all OK and it renews automatically in August.
Received another call from same call centre. Call reported to BT and cybercrime unit.

I have only ever received this scam call and one other, from the Inland Revenue, which really did seem very plausible and genuine.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I buy from Amazon both items in boxes posted to me and Kindle books sent online.
But I don't know what an amazon account is ??
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

Anarita John wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:48 pm Two calls today purporting to be from Amazon saying my Amazon Subscription would renew today for £39.99. Press 1 to speak to a rep. Pressed 1, call centre in some foreign country.
This happened to me in the UK before Xmas

I pressed 1 for a bit of fun and eventually when the 'call centre' answered they started off by saying something like "so, you have a problem with your computer"

I couldn't speak for laughing and then he hung up on me - how rude :lol:
J B
Kissos

Post by Kissos »

Re Amazon
Trevnhil your account is your log in where your card details are stored. Big report on it on Rip off Britain on tv last week over 2 days. If you have catch up you should still be able to see it.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thank you HIC and Kissos. Yes Amazon will have my card details, but I don't pay for prime ..
But I can see now how you could pay them a fee every month
Trev..
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We have an Amazon Prime Account for which we pay a subscription once a year. We also had a Eurosport account with them which is now cancelled and a free music account which I will cancel in March.
Today received another call from the same call centre. Almost identical message, instructing me to press 1, but this time saying my internet was going to be cut off if I do not take action.
I think it is really important that people know these calls are scams as it is so easy for people to be taken in by them. The Inland Revenue one I received came with a public school accent and was really convincing, until I remembered reading that they would never contact you by phone.