There is enough space on nearly every roof for photo-voltaic

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

A lot of people are now interested to install a photo-voltaic system on the roof of their houses in order to produce their own electricity, to reduce the electricity bill drastically as low as 25 Euro for two month. Many are unsure though if they have enough space for the panels on their roof.

Green Air Paphos is installing more efficient ones now, with as much as 375 Wp each.

This means for a 3 kWp net-metering system one needs only 8 panels, each 2x1 m size.
If this is still not enough space you can even use different roof areas to get the 8 panels on, using optimizer technology.

If this situation makes you think again, then just contact Green Air in Paphos to get more information.
https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/entry/greenair

Max
Jimgward

Re: There is enough space on nearly every roof for photo-voltaic

Post by Jimgward »

I installed last February and without ANY increases in energy costs, I will have them paying themselves off in around 6 years - so an ROI of about 17% - when you'll be lucky to get 1% in any bank.

The perception that bills will be €15 is wrong. EAC apply a Net metering charge of €25 before VAT. They also add on various RES and ES fees -so not 100% as Max says.

However, I'd still recommend
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:50 pm I installed last February and without ANY increases in energy costs, I will have them paying themselves off in around 6 years - so an ROI of about 17% - when you'll be lucky to get 1% in any bank.

The perception that bills will be €15 is wrong. EAC apply a Net metering charge of €25 before VAT. They also add on various RES and ES fees -so not 100% as Max says.

However, I'd still recommend
I never said bills could be 15 euro if you read my post. :) My own bills this year were always 19.77/2-monthly including everything except VAT for a 2 kWp installation though.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Weird. I read it as 15 euros too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:51 am Weird. I read it as 15 euros too.
That is more than weird Dominic. Here I copied and pasted my above post how I can read it......... :roll:

Post by cyprusmax47 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:06 pm

A lot of people are now interested to install a photo-voltaic system on the roof of their houses in order to produce their own electricity, to reduce the electricity bill drastically as low as 25 Euro for two month. Many are unsure though if they have enough space for the panels on their roof.

Green Air Paphos is installing more efficient ones now, with as much as 375 Wp each.

This means for a 3 kWp net-metering system one needs only 8 panels, each 2x1 m size.
If this is still not enough space you can even use different roof areas to get the 8 panels on, using optimizer technology.

If this situation makes you think again, then just contact Green Air in Paphos to get more information.
https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/entry/greenair

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You misunderstood, possibly because of the vagaries of the word "read". I was meaning it in the past tense. IE I originally read it as 15 but it now reads 25.

I'm not saying you changed it, but that I also misread it. Which was weird.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

More important for ME is the reduction of CO2 emissions one achieves by installing photo-voltaic systems and secondly the financial aspect. It is one of the best investments one can do without great risks. As Jim said 17% ROI, which is great and it would be high speculative with any other investment to get that amount of return.

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I agree with most of what you say, Tanny. But I believe that every house / apartment being built should also have good insulation, in the outside walls, roof and underfloor.. + efficient double glazed windows.That woukd also help to reduce the amount of energy needed to heat or cool the building...

Dee
JimX

Post by JimX »

I agree with Dee and Tanny, insulation is the answer not I feel Voltaic panels, only that it would take us past our lifetime to pay for them a great idea if you are young enough to see any possible pay back, what we have done is put in roof insulation and decent UPVC windows and doors, our place is warm and with no drafts very cosy, We had considered roof panels but decided that at our age would probably not see any returns.
Jim.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

nholleran wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 am We are thinking of getting quotes in February for a Photo-voltaic system hopefully for a installation April May if this is possible. We are thinking of a 4 kw system anyone had one installed recently if so could you please PM me the company and rough price, I know it would depend on how easy the installation would be, I am doing my homework on this but word of the mouth is also helpful sometimes.
Thanks Neil
This is a good timing Neil, as EAC is resetting every year the meters to Zero in March.

Depending how optimal your panels will be placed towards the sun you should produce between 1700-1800 kWh/year per installed kWp. This result will be higher if you decide to install optimizer with every panel. If you have a garden and space (mind the shade in winter) then the result will be even higher and you will be able to clean the panels when they are too dusty with the garden hose....

If you want, PM me your google coordinates where your house is situated and I will do a study with a computer program for PV performance from EU in order to give you more info.

Max
jeba

Post by jeba »

nholleran wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 am We are thinking of getting quotes in February for a Photo-voltaic system hopefully for a installation April May if this is possible. We are thinking of a 4 kw system anyone had one installed recently if so could you please PM me the company and rough price, I know it would depend on how easy the installation would be, I am doing my homework on this but word of the mouth is also helpful sometimes.
Thanks Neil
I had a 3 kWp system (with a 4kW inverter though) installed in 2017 and had it upgraded to 4 kWp in 2018. Total cost was € 5300 + € 1400 for the upgrade (including optimisers). That was in Larnaca district though but might give you an idea.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The best investment we ever made. Don't know how much it's saved us but know our bills are now down to about €26 per month.
We used Green Air because they've been around for quite a while and not one of those "here today, gone tomorrow" companies.

Jim
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:17 pm
We used Green Air because they've been around for quite a while and not one of those "here today, gone tomorrow" companies.

Jim
Green Air Paphos started their business in 2009, specially in the sector of renewable energies, not only for private customers, but also hotels like Aliathon ordered their PV-systems ( >200 kWp ) and solar pool pumps from them. Owner is Deputy Mayor of Paphos, Christos Makariou, employing more than 50 qualified personnel nowadays..

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I see that some people say they will not live for the 5 years or so to reap any financial benefit..
Surely the Photo Voltaic system adds value to your property, when you come to sell it.. Or if you are dead, when your relatives come to sell it
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

When I sold my old home 14 months ago, having PV panels certainly was a good selling point. I don’t know whether it actually added value, but when my agent marketed the villa, a very quick sale resulted.. The buyers certainly appreciated it.

Dee
JimX

Post by JimX »

Not sure it aids the value of your property in any way, many think they look ugly and will need future maintenance, if like me you feel you will never gain by paying up to 7K for these system's, that is a lot of electricity bills, also who knows what restrictions the EAC maybe put on this type of electricity, they may feel it is getting out of hand and they are losing funds, I do think these systems are good but mostly for those with a longer outlook tham many of us.I think that money would be better spent on good insulation and decent UPVC glazing, just my opinion this, not looking for a long winded argument.
:)
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Solar pool pump was a huge saver for us. Plus it makes pool maintenance a heck of a lot easier.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 am Solar pool pump was a huge saver for us. Plus it makes pool maintenance a heck of a lot easier.
A Solar Pool Pump is a must as far as I'm concerned. I also have Solar Panels that heat the pool.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:45 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 am Solar pool pump was a huge saver for us. Plus it makes pool maintenance a heck of a lot easier.
A Solar Pool Pump is a must as far as I'm concerned. I also have Solar Panels that heat the pool.

Jim
Us too. We have two essentials for our pool - the solar pump and a thermal cover. The pool heater is a nice extra, as it gives us a bigger swimming season. However, if money is a factor then I would go cover and solar pump first.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Neil hello..

A poo, I take it that should have been a pool? I hope so :D ps....we do have a pool here...unheated I doubt many will be in even their heated pools at the moment.
Jim.