Pensions boost for Britons living in the EU

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Pensions boost for Britons living in the EU

Post by Dominic »

Hundreds of thousands of UK nationals who retired to other European countries will continue to receive annual rises to their UK state pensions following Brexit on January 31.

The government delivered reassurance to pensioners in the week that Parliament passed the withdrawal agreement under which the UK will leave the EU at the end of the month.

Before this week, the government had warned that expat pensioners in other EU countries might lose annual increases to their state pension if the UK left the bloc without a deal.

Full story:

https://www.ft.com/content/7b022546-790 ... 56c2253168
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Re: Pensions boost for Britons living in the EU

Post by trevnhil »

It seems like you Have to subscribe to read it :-(
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

No subscription required HERE
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:13 pm It seems like you Have to subscribe to read it :-(
Yeah, that's weird. Sorry about that. It let me read it when I first saw the article but won't now.

Anyway, MM's link says the same thing. By that I mean you can read the article there.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

I paid 42 years tax and National Insurance in the UK.Because I decide to spend my twilight years in a different country I suppose it would be fair to halt a miserable few quid rise each year?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Unfortunately, some British pensioners who are living in certain countries never get pension increments. My sister who lives in Australia never gets these annual rises in her pension, unless she travels to the UK. So she used to try to avoid taking her pension until she is visiting the UK, when she will get the going rate.. This same ruling also, I believe applies to those living in Canada and maybe other countries as well.
Lets hope for the best for us in Cyprus next year regarding our pensions increase. We might do better should the UK leave the EU with a deal at the end of this year.

I never understood why some expats here were so keen on GB leaving the EU. To me it seemed that expats voting for Brexit were akin to Turkey’s voting for Christmas...
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Chaddy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:39 pm I paid 42 years tax and National Insurance in the UK.Because I decide to spend my twilight years in a different country I suppose it would be fair to halt a miserable few quid rise each year?
It is a puzzle why anybody would think it fair to deny somebody a pension increase because of where they live.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It's a controversial area.... so, for example, what if someone who paid up NI in the UK, gets a state pension, doesn't live in the UK but wants UK NHS?

My wife's uncle worked abroad most of his life, but retired in the UK and gets full benefits - is that any different from an immigrant?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Jimgward, I can say that if a UK citizen is working abroad for a number of years, he can opt to voluntarily pay Class 3 N.I. contributions regularly for the whole period while he is abroad. If he does that he is in fact contributing to getting his full UK pension when reaching retirement age, Which may be what your wife’s relation did.

Dominic, my sister and many other elderly Brits who have no choice but to accept they don’t get any increases to their pensions because of where they live would whole heartedly agree with you, over the years with inflation their pensions are worth less and less. Very unfair.
Dee
June

Post by June »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:01 pm
Chaddy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:39 pm I paid 42 years tax and National Insurance in the UK.Because I decide to spend my twilight years in a different country I suppose it would be fair to halt a miserable few quid rise each year?
It is a puzzle why anybody would think it fair to deny somebody a pension increase because of where they live.
Could it perhaps be that ex-pats no longer contribute to the UK economy insofar as although they do pay income tax, but then so do people in the UK, people living abroad don't pay the indirect taxes such as VAT, fuel duty, Council Tax to name but a few?
I'm definitely not advocating a pension increase freeze :) it's just my thoughts....
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I worked overseas for many years. Later we sailed for five years as liveaboards -miles from the UK shores. However I did pay by direct debit class 3 contributions. So still living overseas, I get the full state pension with increases each year
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

June wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:18 am
Dominic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:01 pm
Could it perhaps be that ex-pats no longer contribute to the UK economy insofar as although they do pay income tax, but then so do people in the UK, people living abroad don't pay the indirect taxes such as VAT, fuel duty, Council Tax to name but a few?
I'm definitely not advocating a pension increase freeze :) it's just my thoughts....
I'm talking about pensioners who move abroad after retiring.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

In order to qualify for a UK State Pension at least 10 years of NI contributions in the UK have to be made and a pro rata pension will be paid out dependent on the number of qualifying years between 10 and 35 years. I will get a pro-rata state pension on this basis.

Until now, as it may change due to Brexit, If you do not have 10 years of NI contributions in the UK , but go and work in an EU country and pay Social Insurance in that country you can use those years to make your contributions up to the minimum 10 year requirement. However, you will only get the minimum pension payment for someone who has paid 10 years of NI contributions.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

June,with respect,,yes, we are not now contributing to the UK economy as in VAT and other taxes but we where paying our taxes and NI during our working lives to invest in our future,,Think of it like paying into a private pension whilst working to invest for your retirement days...Oh dear,then what would you say if your private pension company started attacking your dosh because you decided to live abroad.