90 day stay rule..

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

90 day stay rule..

Post by trevnhil »

I am aware of a rule or law that visitors are only allowed to stay a Maximum of 90 days in any period of 180 days..
Does anyone know in reality what would happen to someone who stayed over this maximum of 90 days.
Are they likely to be arrested after 100 days stay or more, when they try to leave
Or are they likely to be refused entry when they try to come for another visit later in the year

And another question.... What is likely to happen if you try to visit for second time but within the 180 days??
Trev..
mike strand2

Re: 90 day stay rule..

Post by mike strand2 »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:34 am I am aware of a rule or law that visitors are only allowed to stay a Maximum of 90 days in any period of 180 days..
Does anyone know in reality what would happen to someone who stayed over this maximum of 90 days.
Are they likely to be arrested after 100 days stay or more, when they try to leave
Or are they likely to be refused entry when they try to come for another visit later in the year

And another question.... What is likely to happen if you try to visit for second time but within the 180 days??
Re the first part, that's still to be tested.

If you tried to visit a second time, I think the airline would prevent you boarding. They'd tell you to get a visa, though that is likely to be denied by the authorities as you'll have exceeded the entry permissions.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Just found this Trev:-

Will UK nationals be subject to additional checks?
As a UK national, you will no longer be entitled to use the separate EU/EEA/CH lanes at EU border crossing points,
and you will be subject to additional checks that you did not have to go through before the UK’s withdrawal. In
particular, border guards may ask you to provide information, for instance on the duration and purpose of your
stay, as well as on your means of subsistence during your stay.

You will need to bring a passport, which was issued within ten years preceding the date of travel, and which
remains valid for at least three months after you plan to leave the EU.

The Commission has proposed that UK nationals can travel visa-free to the EU for short stays (i.e. stays of up to
90 days in a 180-day period), if the UK also grants the same arrangement for citizens from all EU Member States.
Your passport will be stamped both when you enter the EU and when you leave it, so that this period of 90 days,
which is visa-free, can be calculated.

As a UK national, will I be able to use the European Health Insurance Card when travelling
in the EU?

No, as a UK national you will not be able to access healthcare in an EU Member State on the basis of the European
Health Insurance Card.

If you are insured in the UK and you intend to travel in an EU Member State, check with your health insurance
provider if emergency medical expenses in EU Member States are reimbursed. If not, consider taking out private
travel insurance.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks Mike for both comments. I am a little more informed now..
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

mike strand,
Do you know if what you found is applicable from 31/01/20 or from 31/12/20.?
TandC

Post by TandC »

My understanding is that nothing changes from 1/1/2020 until 31/12/20. After that if you have an MEU 1 or MEU 3 you show them at the border and your passport is NOT stamped so the 90/180 rule does not apply. Anyone know didfferemt?
TandC

Post by TandC »

Sorry that should be 1/2/20 that is when the transition period stats.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I beg to differ.... if nothing changes then the 90 / 180 day rule will STILL apply. It is in force now.
Trev..
TandC

Post by TandC »

During 2019 we were still in the EU.Are you sure the 90/180 rule applied. Anyone experienced it?
TandC

Post by TandC »

During 2019 we were still in the EU.Are you sure the 90/180 rule applied. Anyone experienced it?
TandC

Post by TandC »

Trev.
Following lifted from HM Gov Living in Cyprus Guide

"Visas

If you hold a British Citizen passport, you don’t need a visa to enter Cyprus. If you’re planning a stay of longer than 3 months, see our Living in Cyprus guide and contact the Republic of Cyprus High Commission if you have further questions.

If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, the rules on travel will stay the same until 31 December 2020.

If there’s no deal, the rules for travelling or working in Europe will change when the UK has left:

You should not need a visa for short trips. The European Commission has proposed that British Citizens would be able to stay in the Schengen area and other EU countries, including Cyprus, for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa.
Visits to Cyprus within the previous 180 days before your date of travel will count against the 90-day limit. As Cyprus is not within the Schengen area, visits to other EU countries will not count against this total. The 90-day visa-free period would not entitle you to work - most countries will require a visa and work permit. You may also need to get a visa before you travel if you’re planning to stay longer than 90 days, or your visit would take you over the 90 days in 180 days limit. You should check with the Republic of Cyprus High Commission what type of visa, if any, you will need.
If you’re a resident in Cyprus, you are advised to carry your Republic of Cyprus-issued residency documents when entering/exiting the Republic of Cyprus. If you are not a resident in the Republic of Cyprus and cannot show that you hold a residency document, you will likely be subject to the 90-day limit rule.
On arrival in Cyprus you may be asked to confirm that you have sufficient funds available for the duration of your stay. As non-EEA nationals, different border control checks will apply, and you may also be asked to show a return or onward ticket. UK nationals would not have an ongoing right to use the separate lanes provided for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for all the info. It still reads to me that if you intend to stay longer than 90 days you need to get in touch with Immigration..
Trev..
TandC

Post by TandC »

Trev,
I accept that. More than 90 days you need MEU 1 or MEU3
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Sorry, should have quoted the source of my info previously. http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf ... 0E00384072
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In the first para there is something about if the UK leaves the EU with a deal the rules on travel will stay the same. I guess that from 1.2.20 we will be considered to have left the EU without a deal, is this correct? Or does the UK have until the end of this year to make a deal with the EU?
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, "no deal" won't happen yet.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
TandC

Post by TandC »

I think the deal referred to here means the "withdrawal agreement"
josef k

Post by josef k »

To answer your question about what would happen if you overstayed.

I don't think you would be prevented from leaving, although there may be some delay at the airport due to you being questioned and told off. However, if you came back for a second stay in the same period, without a visa, you could be refused entry and sent back. This happens to other 3rd country nationals already.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

When we applied for visas for our relations to come on holiday and stay at our place we had to submit a Notorised document called "Assumption of Responsibility for Hosting". This puts the onus on us to report them to the police if they outstay their visa.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:39 pm When we applied for visas for our relations to come on holiday and stay at our place we had to submit a Notorised document called "Assumption of Responsibility for Hosting". This puts the onus on us to report them to the police if they outstay their visa.

Jim
My daughter wanted to visit us with her Uni mate from Angola, we to had to jump through hoops and become responsible for her, for a weeks stay.... after brexit things will be a lot different for UK expats.