Supreme court hears British man's appeal in lengthy property dispute (Updated)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Supreme court hears British man's appeal in lengthy property dispute (Updated)

Post by Paphos Life »

Conor O'Dwyer, a British man who has been involved in a lengthy and exhausting court battle over a property he bought in the Famagusta district in 2005, presented his appeal to the supreme court in Nicosia on Friday morning.O'Dwyer appealed the case filed by developer company Christoforos Karayiannas and Son Ltd, who accused him of breach of contract and of defamation....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Jimgward

Re: Supreme court hears British man's appeal in lengthy property dispute (Updated)

Post by Jimgward »

I sincerely hope Conor gets justice at last -although I doub’t the Cypriot courts will rule in favour of a Brit over a Cypriot
Maggie B

Re: Supreme court hears British man's appeal in lengthy property dispute (Updated)

Post by Maggie B »

Jimgward. I do not believe Conor will get justice in Cyprus. I trully hope he will find it 'elsewhere' in his lifetime.

I will celebrate when he does.

Maggie B
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Me too Maggie. Fingers crossed for Conor.
Louise :)
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

And me!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

He really deserves to win his appeal having put so much into it while trying to get justice , over the years. There is a lot wrong with the justice and the court system on this sunny island. Look at the way the English girl was treated in her court case. Which incidentally was in the same part of the island. Proper and fair justice should be exercised equally regardless of nationality, colour and creed.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:25 pm He really deserves to win his appeal having put so much into it while trying to get justice , over the years. There is a lot wrong with the justice and the court system on this sunny island. Look at the way the English girl was treated in her court case. Which incidentally was in the same part of the island. Proper and fair justice should be exercised equally regardless of nationality, colour and creed.
Dee
The English girl, was found to have lied in court. No more no less.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Was she? The reports I read said that she had been forced by the police to sign a statement retracting her earlier claim to having been raped.
Lets leave it there please,WHL. As the case is probably still sub judici Or should be.. You have your own agenda on this. The thread we are are on is about Connor. Another Brit who is striving to get justice.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:03 am Was she? The reports I read said that she had been forced by the police to sign a statement retracting her earlier claim to having been raped.
Lets leave it there please,WHL. As the case is probably still sub judici Or should be.. You have your own agenda on this. The thread we are are on is about Connor. Another Brit who is striving to get justice.
Dee
I dont have any agenda, do you??.as for leaving it there, it was you who brought it into the debate , no one else :roll:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL has a point. You brought the subject up Dee. Let use keep the topic on point, to avoid confusion.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sorry Dominic, I only mentioned it as the two legal cases are both concerning Brits and both have been been and are badly treated by the legal system here. Sorry this is true and has been widely reported abroad.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We are all aware of that.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I saw the update yesterday evening.
Not unexpected but still a travesty of justice.
Next stop ECHR and let's hope finally someone will see sense.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

With the UK no longer a member of the EU, us Brits are now members of a 3rd world country instead of being protected by EU laws. A point to bear in mind with any dealings with the govt here. Those of us who were resident here before 2003 should remember what that means.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No, prior to 2003, Cyprus wasn't in the EU. Now it is, and has to abide by EU law.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the ECHR. At least the timescale there will be somewhat quicker than the Cypriot legal system. Let's face it, it couldn't be any slower.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:35 pm No, prior to 2003, Cyprus wasn't in the EU. Now it is, and has to abide by EU law.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the ECHR. At least the timescale there will be somewhat quicker than the Cypriot legal system. Let's face it, it couldn't be any slower.
No, the EU has no control of members common law unless granted permission by the member country according to the below link.

The ECHR is nothing to do with the EU.

As far as the recent court case, wasn't it relating to a claim of "Contempt of Court" rather than about mis selling pròperty or assault which were both found in favour of the plaintive? I have every sympathy with anyone dealing with the beaurocracy here.

Jim

https://ec.europa.eu/info/about-europea ... -action_en
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I stand corrected.

I think you are right about the recent case too. If it goes to the ECHR it won't be about the property deal but about the subsequent web postings and disobeying court orders to take sites down. That's how I understand it, anyway.