Air Fryer conundrum

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Air Fryer conundrum

Post by MacManiac »

My darling wife has decided that she does not want a combined halogen/air fryer oven - having seen one at a friend’s house. She has made a firm and final decision that she would like an air fryer. I have researched all sorts of makes and models but, again, we have hit upon a conundrum. Amazon reviews have been very helpful (even when taken with the proverbial pinch of salt) but their delivery prices are off putting. Both UK and DE sites charge an awful lot for shipping. I understand that these items are bulky but ...

My next port of call was to find outlets in Cyprus. A well-known store in Paphos was selling an air fryer for €249, when it was on sale on Amazon for under £90. Perhaps a little too generous in their markup.

Can anyone recommend a store in Paphos which might stock a selection of air fryers that we could look at? And at a reasonable price ...
MacManiac

Re: Air Fryer conundrum

Post by MacManiac »

Our need is a bit more urgent as our main oven has been taken for repair and there is a problem with the parts needed to make it better. Many thanks for the response. I appreciate it.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We got ours at Lidl, but who know when they will have it again?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:57 pm We got ours at Lidl, but who know when they will have it again?
Quite - we have exhausted our cooking on stove top, microwave and slow cooker, and heaven alone knows when and if our oven will be able to be fixed and returned to us. Our landlord, who has spent thousands on the house resolving the damp and mould problems we had, is reluctant to buy a replacement oven unless he has to, which I understand.

The air fryer I wanted on Amazon would cost an awful lot to have shipped, and delivery would take place sometime in February.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Just binned our Air Fryer which gave up on us. Dont think we would buy another as it now costs £164 on Amazon and I already purchased a replacement perspex lid that cost £40, the old one shattered.

Jim
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:10 pm Mac look here ..
https://www.premierelectrical.net/TOWER ... 91062.aspx
Yes I had seen that but the number of disastrous reviews that model has rather put us off. But many thanks for the information. We wanted the Ninja Air Fryer and will probably have to bite the bullet and buy it from Amazon. I love living in Cyprus but the cost of buying stuff online is rather a pity.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

There is this one at Premier Electrical: https://www.premierelectrical.net/TOWER ... 91062.aspx

I believe the one you have looked at is: http://www.stephanis.com.cy/nqcontent.c ... _id=352809

Must admit I wouldn't do without my halogen oven, which does everything a normal oven can do, but is ideal for the two of us, along with the slow cooker and microwave/grill oven.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:39 pm Actually, John Lewis have a similiar policy and shipping price too.
Unless I’m being dim, JL do not offer international delivery for the Ninja air fryer. Shame. But thanks for the suggestion.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

My Actifry (like Lloyds) has been going since Gawd left Ireland and I have never had to replace any parts. I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for? I use mine purely for chips when I'm feeling lazy and they always turn out very nice.

However, when I really fancy Fatty Chapati, Lard Ass, Wide Load chips I get the old fashioned chip pan on with a fifty fifty mix of sunflower oil and dripping. 😲😲😲 Cannot be beaten. . . . . . . . .But only occassionaly. 😁 And, watched over like a hawk by my good self.

Maggie B
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Ours was an Actifry, as said the perspex lid shattered and cost £40 to get a replacement from the UK and now it's stopped working. Can't say it was overused so rather disappointed.

Jim
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

In defence of the halogen air fryer....
We bought ours from Lidl in about 2012 and it came back to UK with us in 2016.
We use it for cooking almost everything which is meat or chicken related, so at least 4 times a week, one of those is a full chicken.
Our oven packed up on us in November so we also started using the halogen for pizza too.
We have chips maybe only once a week and for that we have a proper deep fat frier with sunflower oil where the chips get double fried.
The oven has been replaced but the full chicken still goes in the halogen. So much easier to clean!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Maggie B wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:50 pm However, when I really fancy Fatty Chapati, Lard Ass, Wide Load chips I get the old fashioned chip pan on with a fifty fifty mix of sunflower oil and dripping. 😲😲😲 Cannot be beaten. . . . . . . . .But only occassionaly. 😁 And, watched over like a hawk by my good self.

Maggie B
Dripping? Mmmmm! The nearest we have is a jar of duck fat in the fridge; definitely not the same but it's good for roast spuds. For deep frying (chips or heathen French fries) we use peanut oil. It is much more stable at 180°C and can be re-used umpteen times. We keep it in the deep fryer for a few weeks, using it occasionally; we replace it when it starts to foam, cleaning the chip pan at the same time.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Butcher Boy have beef dripping
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thanks to all for your contributions. In the end we bit the bullet and ordered our preferred air fryer - the Ninja Air Fryer AF100 - from Amazon. I’ll report back on our progress with 21st Century technology.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Austin7 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:10 am
MacManiac wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 pm Thanks to all for your contributions. In the end we bit the bullet and ordered our preferred air fryer - the Ninja Air Fryer AF100 - from Amazon. I’ll report back on our progress with 21st Century technology.
Does that model circulate the food around like the Actifry? That constant movement helps chips all get crispy.
No. You shake the basket to achieve a similar effect.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Ah yes, shaking the basket ...
So there I was last night, looking forward to some air fried chunky potato wedges with my grilled pork, only somehow when I replaced the basket after a shake, I managed to switch the machine from "continue cooking" to "keep warm". 🙄🙄 Pork and veggies were cooked (and eaten) well before the wedges, which were enjoyed as a course on their own!
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Well, ordered on Monday and the Ninja arrived this morning - delivered to the door by UPS. Brilliant packaging with hardly any plastic or polystyrene, and this necessitated a trip into Polis for silicon tongs, and items to test tomorrow. What fun! And my darling wife is delighted.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:16 pm Please let us know how you get on with it.
Beginner’s luck or ... this morning we decided on bacon sandwiches in bed (and who could blame us with a cold wind outside). Popped the bacon into the Air Fryer and six minutes later we had lovely crispy bacon to pop into our sandwiches. My darling wife was most impressed. At lunchtime we had breaded chicken thighs (ten minutes a side) and they were fabulous. What was incredible to us was the amount of fat, grease or whatever under the crisper ring. In neither case did we use any oil, and the bacon had a tiny rind on it.

And best of all all the cooking parts of the Air Fryer went into the dishwasher. More experiments this weekend.