Film to watch 1917

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

Film to watch 1917

Post by JimX »

Our system is showing this new film 1917 probably one of the best movies I have seen, On my system it is a ''Screener'' that is one not for open distribution, great film that tugs at your heart strings.

Jim.
Cactuslil

Re: Film to watch 1917

Post by Cactuslil »

It’s on in Paphos.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We are going to see it this week, our friends went and said it's a brilliant film.
We try to go the cinema at least once a week.

Jim
daveg

Post by daveg »

It's a shame it's only showing at the Mall from 7.30 pm...
An earlier showing would surely suit those of us who don't relish the thought of a late night trek home on these winter nights....
darrow

Post by darrow »

We watched in on TV last night. Great film! Gorgeous photography and captures the era and the futility and the struggle all at the same time! You will e joy it.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Its a film I MUST see.I remember when i was a boy my grandad told me a few stories of when he was at Ypres. I was mesmerised,i could not believe what he was telling me at the time.
I got the opportunity to go on an organised on trip a few years ago with my local club to the first world war battlefields.After the tour,and what the well informed guide described to us i come to the conclusion there was very little battle tactics,just sheer slaughter,both sides sending in wave after wave of troops for very little gain....Who said "Lions led by donkey,s " .
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

WWI was an immense waste of life, to satisfy the egos of two cousins. Germany, as losers, did the right thing and got rid of theirs...
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We have it on magbox and will be watching it later in the week.
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We just prefer to go to see movies like this on the big screen before watching them on TV.

Jim
kansas

Post by kansas »

We haven't been to the cinema since the early 80's. We've got used to pausing, peeing and being able to make cuppa when we want. Each to their own though.

Thanks for the heads up about the film. We'll be watching it at home this evening......
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We're going tomorrow to see it on my 2 For 1 Meerkats tickets followed by an all you can eat carvery 😄

Some films just have to be watched at the cinema....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

Depends how big your TV is :D , do enjoy it even if the film is a serious war film, one of the best since ''Saving Private Ryan'' and this...

Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I watched 'War Horse' and found it to be a brilliant film
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim X

Got to disagree on that one, we have a big TV but no comparison with watching a film at the K-Cineplex.

Jim
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Watched the film 1917 this evening. Must say it was not at all what I expected it to be. Just a tad disappointed. Managed to carry on watching it to the very end. That part being what it was all about.
Last edited by Lincoln on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
All things are possible
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Thank you JimX. Great film, we watched it last night.
I see it is now up for some awards.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Morning Jim..

I agree going to the movies at a decent cinema is best, but really a good film is a good film even on a 60'' TV and surround sound home cinema. I have a dog who doesn't like to be left on her own at any time, and the thought of driving at night into town is not one of my favorite things to do, so it is my TV and my Mag units... :)

Lincoln not an unexpected comment again from you, you are on your own it seems :roll:
Jim.
kansas

Post by kansas »

We stopped going to the cinema when we got a bit fed up with the coughing, talking, snacks being eaten, having to move when someone wanted to go for a pee and missing a chunk of the movie when you wanted to go for a pee! Good film though, thanks Jim X.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Agree with you, stopped going to the cinema, after the couple next to us, demolished a bucket of fried chicken, in between slurping on coke, the smell and the noise, was too much, we have just upgraded to a 75 inch TV, surround sound, with all the bells and whistles, better then the cinema by miles, in my opinion.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We're just back from our viewing which started at about 12:15 this afternoon at our "local" cinema, about 6 miles away.
Enjoyed the movie although we each found the really close up whizzing around with the camera effects made us both a bit woozy at the beginning. It was a simple story carried out with good effect.
Afterwards we went for a carvery lunch just a couple of minutes drive from the cinema.
All in all, a nice day out all for £20.50 for two people.

We have a new 50" 4K TV purchased just before Christmas but hubby won't watch screeners - we never watched them whilst we were in Cyprus either, they always tended to be disappointing. But I still say there are some movies you can watch on TV, especially if you're watching them for a second time which we do from time to time..... but mostly it's the action movies that we find are better on the big screen.

I took my mum to see the Bohemian Rhapsody movie when it came out and that was the first time she had been to the cinema in UK since we both went to see Jaws! She thought it was wonderful and has expressed an interest in coming with us again :-)
She doesn't like historical or war films so finding the right thing that we all want to see is proving a little difficult.

We're looking forward to The Gentleman next - crime, thriller and comedy all in one with Colin Farrell and Hugh Grant plus some decent soundtracks:

We also caught the preview of Dark Waters which grabbed both of our attention and seems a bit reminiscent of Erin Brockovich. It will probably be our next "one to watch"...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"