ROAD CLOSURE

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

ROAD CLOSURE

Post by memory man »

Traffic jam from Paphos tomorrow - Akamantis closes for Thermopylae for two months

Pafites and especially those residing in the communities of Emba, Chloraka, Kissonerga, Lemba, Tala and Pegeia will need patience and proper planning tomorrow (January 18, 2020) as the road leading to Paphos from La Boteda and beyond to Paphos will be closed for two months.

Specifically, according to the announcement of Makis Savvidis & Sons (Contractors) Limassol Ltd Closes Akamantidos Road to Thermopylae at the height of the traffic lights (Pedaras) will be closed and only the left turnpike to Charilaou will be allowed. .

The road will be closed for the purpose of carrying out the project "Reconstruction and improvement of Fellahoglou Street" and as announced it is not expected to be completed two months ago.

PafosPress
DavidatLWH

Re: ROAD CLOSURE

Post by DavidatLWH »

That's going to cause major headaches. How are some businesses such as Mexpo and the DIY shop opposite going to cope?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It certainly is going to cause problems both for Drivers and for businesses
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Hope someone can help by providing a MAP or even a sketch map. A lot of people I am sure will have no idea of road name mentioned.
All things are possible
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

So, from the article I understand that on the road from Chloraka into Paphos there will still be access for two-way traffic at the traffic lights at Pentaras Motors.

Link to location map of La Bodega Cava which is mentioned in the article: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Labod ... 32.4216551
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

So, it would seem that traffic has to turn left at the traffic lights and end up coming out at 'Pap's' lights.
Or you can turn left at Time out Kiosk and then taking a right turn if you are heading for Kennedy avenue and down into Paphos it will be a difficult job turning right again onto
Polis Road..
Tomb of the Kings road would seem to be the best bet for lots of people..
It will probably make us, up in the hills, go past the Post office, the motorway roundabout and down to the promenade
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

If you need to get into the old town, turn left at the Pentaras lights, go to the end and turn right and then left at the end of that road so you rejoin the road as as if you’d gone straight on at the Pentaras lights. No great delay on Saturday morning, weekdays may be different, but the lights don’t seem to have change delays / sequence so the risk of delay is at the T junction at the end of the road down the side of Pentaras. I usually go though the old town way to get the Mall, TOTK etc by going though the market car park to cut out town centre, Kennedy Square lights etc so I guess I’ll soon work out how much impact the roadworks have!
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Surely the lights will not be in use. There's no point unless the road heading tp Chloraka past the revamped car park has reopened.
Last edited by mike strand2 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Map, though how far the closure will reach into the old town, I do not know.
Attachments
Paphos Diversion.jpg
Paphos Diversion.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
Last edited by mike strand2 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I was also down there this afternoon and found out that the road into the old town was blocked off just after the traffic lights at Pentaras. But turning left there, then right at the far end of the road, then left at the end of that road,, puts you back on the usual road. You are just the other side of the currently closed part. So no real problem except at week day peak hours. At present.

Dee
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Coming up from the old town the diversion left past Moutallos mosque is back in place with the whole road closed going up past the "new" car parks.
Varky

Post by Varky »

I do hope they have switched off the traffic lights as there is no point for them to operate.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Mighty Sprite wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:15 am Coming up from the old town the diversion left past Moutallos mosque is back in place with the whole road closed going up past the "new" car parks.
That's been back in place for a while now. You could drive through over the New Year, but it was a bumpy ride. Presumably it is closed again so that they finish it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The trouble with most major road works in Paphos is that they seem to take soo long to get finished... I hope that these ongoing road work in the old town will be finished by Easter!
But I’m not taking any bets...

Dee
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Varky wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:17 am I do hope they have switched off the traffic lights as there is no point for them to operate.
They haven't, but most people were ignoring them when I drove through this morning. No queues either!
Varky

Post by Varky »

Austin7 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:44 am They don't need to switch them off, just put a black sack over them.
Whatever?
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Varky wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:07 am
Austin7 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:44 am They don't need to switch them off, just put a black sack over them.
Whatever?
Now turned off. I guess they didn't have a roll of bin bags & string! :lol: