Car insurance

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
jonjo

Car insurance

Post by jonjo »

Hi

I’ve been quoted over 700 euros (300 & 400) by Abbeygate to renew my car insurance on a Jimmy and Qashqai. I only do about 500 km a year in the Jimny and perhaps 2000 in the Qashqai. Before I ring around, does anyone have any recommendations.
Thanks
Jon
trevnhil

Re: Car insurance

Post by trevnhil »

The cost of insurance goes on a lot of personal criteria.. One is your age and another is your History..
We got a second car last February, and when I mentioned the Abbeygate insurance premium to the car sales place, they told me where to go for a better quote.
Unfortunately they were dearer and I stayed with Abbeygate.. For two cars I pay around 900 euros a year, but this is with protected no claims and fully comprehensive
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Atlantic for us, not the cheapest but always deliver when needed
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

As said above the age factor comes to the fore. We changed our insurance to Top Quotes. Originally with Atlantic. We went to Abbeygate but they were also a bit pricey. So do ask around.
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We have two vehicles with Abbeygate and one with Commercial Union. CU cover under twentyfives.

Jim
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

We have both our cars with Status, very happy with policies and premiums.
J B

Post by J B »

WHL wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:16 am Atlantic for us, not the cheapest but always deliver when needed
/¦\ This for us too ....
J B
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

jonjo wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:26 pm Hi

I’ve been quoted over 700 euros (300 & 400) by Abbeygate to renew my car insurance on a Jimmy and Qashqai. I only do about 500 km a year in the Jimny and perhaps 2000 in the Qashqai. Before I ring around, does anyone have any recommendations.
Thanks
Jon
2500 miles per year with 2 cars, do you need 2 cars and the extra expense that comes with them?
David
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

We use Top Quotes, but I do check other companies every year at renewal time. We have customised the policy to suit our needs eg named drivers and as the younger person it is registered using my age. The Comprehensive Cover package is not necessarily the right choice - so always worth checking what is included. As with any type of insurance.
WHL

Post by WHL »

For us it is not a question of getting the cheapest quote, we have been with Atlantic for over 30 years, home,travel,cars business,,,,we have had the same guy dealing with us, it is nice to have his mobile no. And we can call him at any time, ans say we have just had a bump in the car etc, and he will sort it out immetiatly, laying on a repair, rental car etc, peace of mind is worth more then saving a few quid.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I've just sought quotes for my car from Abbeygate & Top Quotes. Both say comp cover through AIG (with all the usual add-ons). €280 & €478
I'm waiting for Top Quotes to tell me why.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

AIG is more expensive than Abbeygate, but if you look at the policy AIG covers you for more. My policy says’ car is covered ‘beyond the road’. Not sure exactly what they mean. Also car is insured to be driven in the north as well. Providing that if the car can’t be driven there, it needs to get to the border some way for recovery.
Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

mike strand2 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:23 pm I've just sought quotes for my car from Abbeygate & Top Quotes. Both say comp cover through AIG (with all the usual add-ons). €280 & €478
I'm waiting for Top Quotes to tell me why.
That is a huge difference for Abbeygate and Top Quotes to both use AIG and offering the same insurance cover for the vehicle.

I find I get quotes back to within about €25-50 for the same cover but with different companies and as WHL says it is not just about the price. I was with Atlantic Insurance for many years, very happy with them, but then they put air fresheners in the reception area which meant I couldn't enter the building due to my breathing problems. They have been removed but happy with current company.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Top Q had not listened to my requirements. Re-quoted €330