Troodos visitors censured for trashing Troodos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Troodos visitors censured for trashing Troodos

Post by Paphos Life »

Environment Commissioner Kelia Vasiliou decried thoughtless individuals on Monday as she posted videos on social media of various snow-covered areas polluted with trash left behind by visitors who crowded the area over the weekend....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Jim B

Re: Troodos visitors censured for trashing Troodos

Post by Jim B »

Due to the heavy rains we have an influx of mushroom pickers in our area who tend to clear all the rubbish out of their vehicles and just throw it at the side of the roads and tracks, such a shame.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hopefully with articles like the above, people are starting to get the message.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

What I not understand is why there are not plenty refuse bins, to be emptied every day, at least the few weeks of the year the Troodos peak is crowded from Cypriots and some tourists to see the snow. It is well known that many locals have still the habit to throw their empty drink bottles, cigarette boxes etc out of their car window when driving, so no difference when they coming in the hundreds with food etc, to have a good time and fun there. Recently one could see every 20 m or so collected rubbish, laying in large blue bins along the road from Konia to Marathounta to be finally removed the next days. As long as the attitude of people does not change towards avoiding the mess they leave behind them, the Authorities have to spent money for much more refuse bins at all places of interest...(churches, archaeological sites, beaches and more) But there is still hope as Cyprus is getting much cleaner than it was 40 years ago.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Bins aren't the answer. People need to be educated to take their crap home with them. There used to be a bin at a beauty spot near me in the UK. It was emptied every day but would fill up and be a complete eyesore. The council eventually took the bin away, and the problem went away. This only worked because there had been a comprehensive "KEEP BRITAIN TIDY" campaign throughout the 70s and 80s in all the UK schools. It was drummed into our heads.

Cyprus needs the same.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.