Lidl bans single-use plastic products

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Lidl bans single-use plastic products

Post by Paphos Life »

By Niki CharalambousLidl Cyprus announced on Thursday that it has permanently banned single-use plastic from its shops since the end of last year.Single-use plastic items such as straws, cups, plates and cutlery will no longer be sold in Lidl stores across Cyprus.The company said it is one of the first organised food retail businesses to do so....

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: Lidl bans single-use plastic products

Post by WHL »

Will it be banning water / drinks / milk / sold in plastic bottles?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

And what about the bags for loose fruit and veg? I am sure many people re-use those for toilet bin liners. But the "string" bags for various pre weighed items, and the plastic punnets ....
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

WHL wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:30 pm Will it be banning water / drinks / milk / sold in plastic bottles?
Small steps. They have to start somewhere & the plastic drink bottles ca at least go for recycling.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cactuslil wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:03 am
WHL wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:30 pm Will it be banning water / drinks / milk / sold in plastic bottles?
Small steps. They have to start somewhere & the plastic drink bottles ca at least go for recycling.
I agree with you Louise, but I see dustbins everywhere full of water bottles.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

At least they start with doing something against the plastic soup.
Louise :)
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

WHL wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 am
Since the recycling bins were removed from our area and the new weekly collection system was introduced there are far more recyclable items dumped in the green rubbish bins.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Morrisons in the UK brought in Paper bags, but price them at 25p!!!!!!! Whereas plastic ones are 10p. The paper ones wouldn't last multiple times either...

The largest plastic problem is the plastics you cannot see.... that has permeated all ecosystems
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

WHL wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 am
Apart from the moaners who will always look for faults in any situation. I must congratulate LIDL on a fantastic start to an excellent programme. :D
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

M & S, in the UK have now introduced brown paper bags with a clear plasticy type stripe which allows a cashier to see what fruit / veg is inside without opening the bag. They seem quite strong and have replaced the previously used clear polythene bags...

While Waitrose have introduced recently, bulk containers from which customers can help themselves to staple dry groceries such as flours, rice, dried beans and pulses, porridge oats and some of the commonly bought cereals.Like cornflakes etc. They sell suitable sturdy looking reusable containers to store different weights of the products. Thus helping to cut out the cardboard or paper materials used to pack them ready for sale...
Dee
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Any reduction in plastic waste is a positive way forward, getting around this is easy use your own reusable bags when shopping, we all need to play our part not just relying on businesses to make the reduction.
Galini

Post by Galini »

Jamboal wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 am Any reduction in plastic waste is a positive way forward, getting around this is easy use your own reusable bags when shopping, we all need to play our part not just relying on businesses to make the reduction.
I agree entirely and we should also try to get out of the habit of making negative comments whenever someone or some company makes changes in order to promote care for our environment.

I get sick of seeing comments like 'other people are still putting their plastic waste in the rubbish' when it's used as an excuse for not being more disciplined themselves. Small efforts may seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things but when added together with everyone's small change it does make a difference.

Be the person who sets the example, not the person that just follows the herd.