Traffic Lights out

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Traffic Lights out

Post by Lincoln »

Drive with care folks. We noticed several traffic lights are out of order.
All things are possible
memory man

Re: Traffic Lights out

Post by memory man »

....and 2 weeks + later there are still 2 sets of traffic lights out.

Both on same stretch of road between Paphos and Peyia.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

No, only one set of light are ‘out’ on the Coral Bay Rd as of today. That’s the ones at Kissonerga... (near) Paphos Computers..

Dee
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I do remember (about 26 years ago) there was only one set of traffic lights in the whole of Paphos. That was where now the Mall is. Of course there was no roundabout then.
Louise :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Wow, I never saw that on CL... I cannot imagine why people would not think a roundabout would work.
We have quite a lot of them now
Trev..
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

But it was so much more quiet then. No need for a roundabout and no need for more traffic lights.
Louise :)
JimX

Post by JimX »

Re comment on do traffic roundabouts work, well do they? as very rarely do you see turning indicators to this day, also most roundabouts are far too small, many you may have noticed (including myself) cut short most traffic roundabouts, especially Pafos to Coral Bay road, the Civil engineers must have brain fade when they decided to build such small ineffective roundabouts, also not unusual at all to see out of commision traffic lights, as Louise says and all I have also noticed over my driving years here is just vastly increased traffic with most poor driving standards.

So Austin I think they were correct on their assumptions, do they work? I do not think so, but to be honest I now hate driving in town.

Trev very surprised you missed that one on CL :D
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with much of what Jim says. The three large roundabouts do work, ( end of Motorway, Hospital and at the Mall) but would be much safer if drivers understood the importance of using their indicators when changing lanes while entering or leaving one. And gave way to traffic coming from their right already on the roundabout. Two roundabouts which are really too small are the ‘basket’ roundabout on the Polis Rd and the virtually a mini roundabout by the Aspire School on the Coral Bay Rd. Both are potential accident black spots!
Dee
Paul

Post by Paul »

Strasbourg in France had a problem with people washing car windows at traffic lights and then abusing the drivers if they did not pay them.

So how did they get around this?

They removed the lights and put roundabouts in; the traffic did not stop for long enough for the window washers to clean the windows so there market was gone!

So roundabouts do improve traffic flow.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

We don’t have would be ‘window washers at traffic lights in Paphos, but at certain times we have people hovering at traffic lights trying to get you to buy a charity raffle ticket. They pounce when the lights are on red. I have thought how potentially dangerous to the pedestrian this is, but the police don’t seem to care enough to stop them.

Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

Roundabouts rely on drivers knowing from which exit they will leave the roundabout before entering the roundabout and getting into the appropriate lane. How many times have you seen a driver entering a roundabout in the left hand lane and staying in that lane all the way round and leaving at as if they are turning right and causing chaos for those drivers wishing to go straight ahead or even turning left from the right hand lane. Do driving instructors teach roundabout discipline? Do they know themselves?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Coral Bay Rd. As of today, Monday, the traffic lights at Kissonerga are still ‘out’, but the traffic is moving freely and quite fast without them. Just take care as you approach them as no one gives way!

Dee
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Even though the roundabout at the mall is fairly successful, it is still fun to go to Neros for a coffee and watch some of the driving antics. Also, on two occasions, we have seen, at the roundabout at the bottom of the dual carriageway leading to the triangle, a petrol tanker ignoring the roundabout altogether and turning right, going round the roundabout the wrong way.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Anarita John wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:10 pm Even though the roundabout at the mall is fairly successful, it is still fun to go to Neros for a coffee and watch some of the driving antics. Also, on two occasions, we have seen, at the roundabout at the bottom of the dual carriageway leading to the triangle, a petrol tanker ignoring the roundabout altogether and turning right, going round the roundabout the wrong way.
Yes, sometimes the Tankers have to do this as they do not have the ability to go all around the proper way Same with some low-loaders.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The Mall roundabout is Enormous.. Although some long vehicles may need more than one lane there is no need to 'wrong side' it
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

You’d think that whoever is responsible for the design of major roads would take into consideration the increasing size (and weight- where applicable) of commercial vehicles which will be using the road. This should include making any roundabouts sufficiently spacious to allow large vehicles to use them safely.
But this is Cyprus....
Dee