Not looking good

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Not looking good

Post by WHL »

I've got a feeling, the crises in the Middle East is going to escalate.

https://knews.kathimerini.com.cy/en/new ... loyed-unit
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Not looking good

Post by Dominic »

Why worry? There's bugger all any of us can do about it. Worry about things you can change.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I used to live in pre-revolutionary Iran and had access via my Father to some really high ranking people. The Americans fostered a policy of democratisation on the Shah and that led to the rumblings of the Ayatollah Khomeini from Paris. America is not well liked in the region generally, in my view and the sooner they leave the better. The fall of the Shah led directly to the invasion ,by Russia , of Afghanistan and all subsequent problems in the region. The rise of the Taliban, Al Queda etc are all a response to American policy. Do not forget that America does not rely on oil that passes through the Hormuz and their main focus is the security of Israel and the soft underbelly of the NATO alliance.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Some years back on my old forum we had a couple of members who insisted that Saddam Hussein and his bandits were going to throw missiles (Scuds remember those?) at Cyprus, of course they never did and they were both branded trouble makers, both had been removed from Cyprus by the authorities and as we all thought at the time they were in some way trying just to stir or wind up some members, it failed then as it will now...relax enjoy this awful weather.. :)
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

JimX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:50 am Some years back on my old forum we had a couple of members who insisted that Saddam Hussein and his bandits were going to throw missiles (Scuds remember those?) at Cyprus, of course they never did and they were both branded trouble makers, both had been removed from Cyprus by the authorities and as we all thought at the time they were in some way trying just to stir or wind up some members, it failed then as it will now...relax enjoy this awful weather.. :)
So lets get this straight, you are saying , you had a couple of members of your forum, who posted, that there was a chance, Iraqi missiles, could target Cyprus, so the Cyprus authorities removed them from, Cyprus, .... If you say so..... :lol:
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

WHL wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:53 am
JimX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:50 am Some years back on my old forum we had a couple of members who insisted that Saddam Hussein and his bandits were going to throw missiles (Scuds remember those?) at Cyprus, of course they never did and they were both branded trouble makers, both had been removed from Cyprus by the authorities and as we all thought at the time they were in some way trying just to stir or wind up some members, it failed then as it will now...relax enjoy this awful weather.. :)
So lets get this straight, you are saying , you had a couple of members of your forum, who posted, that there was a chance, Iraqi missiles, could target Cyprus, so the Cyprus authorities removed them from, Cyprus, .... isn't it bit early in the morning to be posting fairy tales, :lol:
No he's saying both had "been removed from Cyprus by the authorities" And....

It's not connected or at least that's not how I read it - they were removed for other things - though having said that this must have been around 17 years ago Jim :-)

A UK lawyer/nightclub owner and a guy who sold "properties" if I remember correctly ;-)

Anyway back on topic I agree with WHL that it could escalate and I don't think it will just go away - but Dominic/Jim are right - not much we can do unfortunately.

Cheers

Steve
WHL

Post by WHL »

Steve - SJD wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:05 am
WHL wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:53 am
So lets get this straight, you are saying , you had a couple of members of your forum, who posted, that there was a chance, Iraqi missiles, could target Cyprus, so the Cyprus authorities removed them from, Cyprus, .... isn't it bit early in the morning to be posting fairy tales, :lol:
No he's saying both had "been removed from Cyprus by the authorities" And....

It's not connected or at least that's not how I read it - they were removed for other things - though having said that this must have been around 17 years ago Jim :-)

A UK lawyer/nightclub owner and a guy who sold "properties" if I remember correctly ;-)

Anyway back on topic I agree with WHL that it could escalate and I don't think it will just go away - but Dominic/Jim are right - not much we can do unfortunately.

Cheers

Steve
Thank you Steve, that makes more sense, do you know what the reason the Cyprus authorities, gave for their expulsion from Cyprus, it must of been a more serious reason, then just posting on a forum that Cyprus might be a Target, If I remember rightly many others on various forums, were posting similar things..... the reason I started this thread was, its the first time I can remember Cyprus giving the green light for USA forces to be stationed here, upping the chances of Iran and her friends attacking Cyprus in some way or an other.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I understood from Jim's post that the people had been expelled from Cyprus, and were later on his forum posting from wherever they ended up.
Not every member of a Paphos (or Cyprus generally) forum is resident in the island, unless proof of such is a pre-requisite for joining.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Paphos Life welcomes posters from all around the world. All that is required is in an interest in Paphos.

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I don’t think Cyprus is on any terrorist or state map for assault, however escalation in the middle-east would affect tourism.

Personally, I dont think it will escalate. Iran wants to stop the sanctions, as does everyone bar the USA since Trump came to power. The nuclear treaty was working and Trump needs an enemy, like most US presidents do, to keep his popularity up. He even goes to the point to threaten illegal strikes against cultural targets. Not being bright enough to realise that would see him in the Haig for war crimes and contravention of all conventions.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

If anyone firmly believes that this country will be attacked by DAESH? Terrorist/Iran. Then there are quite a few things that said persons can do. They could build a Bunker. They could ship all possessions to a safe country and move there. Simples :mrgreen:
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

''So lets get this straight, you are saying , you had a couple of members of your forum, who posted, that there was a chance, Iraqi missiles, could target Cyprus, so the Cyprus authorities removed them from, Cyprus, .... If you say so..... :lol:''

WHL, You always get postings wrong whoever you are, those ex members were not removed from Cy because of what they posted on a long closed forum, one was a nightclub owner who fell foul of the Cypriot Authorities and the other was a small time property dealer who now has passed away.

Why I posted my comment was a true one, during the Saddam Hussein war they did try to wind CL members up by saying he was going to send Scuds missiles to Cyprus, total BS of course and like many just ditched their wind ups..
Last edited by JimX on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I do not think it will escalate any further. They have both fired weapons and now the POTUS is talking about further sanctions to bring Iran back into line. I would assume that the stationing of a rapid force on Cyprus is in the event of an all out assault by Iran on American targets in Iraq etc, at which point the Americans would want to evacuate and quickly.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I was here and using your forum too,Jim. I remember reading posts from them and about them..I remember his night clubs were in Limassol... The other guy wanted to import some type of prefabricated houses, made them sound like the ‘ luxury mobile homes or maybe’Lodges’. I think he was at Pissouri.. I remember he got arrested and was deported very quickly..if my memory is correct. But its a long time ago now, pre EU days! Both sounded like characters or wide boys!

I also remember the other thing about the Scud missiles... it was at the time that Tony Blair and his American President friend was limbering up for the Iraqi war against Saddam Hussein and his so called weapons of mass destruction. These were being touted as Sadams secret weapons with which to threaten the UK mainland.
In actual fact, these Scuds were actually short-range missiles and not very accurate.Much later we were told that even if fired they would never reach the UK or mainland Europe.But they might have been aimed at RAF Akrotiri.. even in that event they might have missed Akrotiri, and either landed in the sea, or hit somewhere on the east coast of the island!

The American forces have never been based in Cyprus as far as I know, but have been on island on detachment at Akrotiri on occasion.
Dee
tonee

Post by tonee »

Remember them both Jim,especially the threats from the fat one :roll:
memory man

Post by memory man »

que sera sera